Hof Jets C Kevin Mawae Pays Respect To His "nemesis" In Hof Speech. | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hof Jets C Kevin Mawae Pays Respect To His "nemesis" In Hof Speech.

I'd love to hear a dissenting opinion as to why he's not in the HoF. A constructive, objective dissenting opinion.

The only lb better than him based upon my research was Lewis and when they were both in their prime Zach's numbers were actually better. Fortunately for the Lewis the good lord and PEDS gave him a longer career.

Yup, just Dolphins fans think he should be in the HoF. It's not like multiple people across the league have publicly stated he should be in....

I think the most overrated is Curtis Martin. Got a ton of carries, played a lot of years but there were always a number of better rbs while he played

I'd love to hear a dissenting opinion as to why he's not in the HoF. A constructive, objective dissenting opinion.

The only lb better than him based upon my research was Lewis and when they were both in their prime Zach's numbers were actually better. Fortunately for the Lewis the good lord and PEDS gave him a longer career.
I'm all for Zach to the HoF, but I'll oblige. The constructive argument against him is, 1) No team success. It shouldn't matter, but it does. Guys with RINGZ get in much more easily. 2) No signature play. That's one of the things HoF voters look for. Zach doesn't have a play that sticks in voters minds. 3) He wasn't perceived as being that dominant, maybe because he wasn't as good in coverage.

That would be the argument against. Like I said, I'm for, so don't expect me to reply to any counters.

Btw, something that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, Urlacher has also said Zach should be in.

I think the most overrated is Curtis Martin. Got a ton of carries, played a lot of years but there were always a number of better rbs while he played
What about Lynn Swann or Terry Bradshaw? John Lynch might go in soon and one day Eli will surely make it.

Plenty of good candidates for most overrated, and they are all in (or will be) because of the accomplishments of the team they played in. It's one of my pet peeves.

Zach Thomas isn’t overrated at all. If he were, he’d be in. He’s rated correctly as a great player who’s borderline for the Hall of Fame.

Those JJ defenses, however— if there were a Hall of Fame for overrated defenses, they’d be first ballot Hall of Famers.

I don't know what the HOF voters see or don't see but Zach Thomas was simply a great MLB. It was thrilling to watch him play the game. He played 100% at all times and was as instinctive a player as you will see. The man was an absolute lion on the field and simply demolished ball carriers with his power and speed. He was a human missile who also was able to make interceptions, 17 to be exact . For 12 seasons he was the ultimate warrior at ML for the Dolphins racking up 7 Pro Bowls, 5 first team and is on the 2000's all decade team. He not only belongs he belongs by a good margin. Plus he was always a great Miami Dolphin who gave his heart and soul to the organization. I can't imagine being a fan of the Dolphins and NOT thinking he should be in.

I find it absolutely hilarious that there are people on this thread who actually think ZT is "overrated". Whats funny, is you can actually make a very legitimate argument, that ZT was one of the most "UNDERRATED" MLBs in NFL history. He hardly ever got the recognition or respect he deserved ... especially from the media who were always fixated on those two MLBs that played in Chicago and Baltimore.

Ray Lewis was obvious THE BEST MLB of his era, and there was a massive gap between him and 2nd place which most people say would go to Urlacher. However, I don't think the gap between Urlacher and ZT was that big. Both are pretty even stat wise except for sacks (41.5 to 20.5), because one edge Urlacher had over Zach was his ability to blitz. Zach honestly wasn't that good of a blitzer, mainly because of his size (5'10, 5'11) which got him swallowed up a few times to be honest. Blitzing, I believe, was easier for Urlacher mainly because he had the size (6'4 I believe), and certainly the speed since he played safety in college ... that certainly helped him a lot. Both were pretty even in coverage ... Zach has 17 INTs with 4 Pick 6s, while Urlacher had 22 INTs with 2 Pick 6s. Both were their respective conferences "Defensive Rookies Of the Year" ... but Urlacher got "LEAGUE" DROTY honors, as well as DPOY honors in 2005. So in a way, "credential wise" ... Urlacher was a little bit more accomplished. Carrying one of the worst QBs in NFL history, Rex Grossman, to a SB appearance certainly helped his cause as well.

I'm not crapping on Urlachers career ... he certainly deserved his HOF induction as did Lewis, but ZT is next in line. From the mid 90s, to the early/late 2000s ... Lewis, Urlacher, and ZT were easily the three BEST MLBs of that era ... all three were elected to the 2000s All Decade Team, and for good reason.

Along with his All-Decade Team selection of the 2000s, 7 Pro Bowls, 7 All-Pro Selections (5 1st Team selections), and 2 LB of the Year awards make him certainly worthy. Peyton Manning ... Urlacher on Twitter 2 years ago ... and now Kevin Mawae in his HOF speech have all said that ZT is worthy of the HOF. Kyle Brandt on NFL Network last year said ZT deserves it as well. If its good enough for all of them, its certainly good enough for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom