hooshoops prospect takes... | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hooshoops prospect takes...

by the way fellas the way things are playing out right now barring the db class really showing up tomorrow i'm thinking the likely bpa on the board when we come on the clock at #12 will be ot lane johnson...i he gets there

either that or one of the guards warmack or cooper...one things for sure all those de's projected in the top 12 is not happening...not after today

alex okafors stock also went up today even without working out...he's probably worked his way into the top 20 when compared to the rest of this class...

by the way fellas the way things are playing out right now barring the db class really showing up tomorrow i'm thinking the likely bpa on the board when we come on the clock at #12 will be ot lane johnson...i he gets there

either that or one of the guards warmack or cooper...one things for sure all those de's projected in the top 12 is not happening...not after today

alex okafors stock also went up today even without working out...he's probably worked his way into the top 20 when compared to the rest of this class...

Hoops, you and I both know the combine becomes a distant memory when these DE's show up at their Pro Day's and knock it out of the park. Too early in the process to think some of those DE's aren't going top 12.

Hoops, you and I both know the combine becomes a distant memory when these DE's show up at their Pro Day's and knock it out of the park. Too early in the process to think some of those DE's aren't going top 12.

pro day fields are notoriously faster usually and nfl personnel account for them...there's nothing damontre moore could do right now to get him in the top 12...nothing...

today helped okafor and carradine even...i don't even think woerners going top 15 anymore...he might be the exception given his size...today put a lot o money in ansahs pockets though no doubt about it...the rest of the de class did nothing to validate top picks

day 3 lbs...

jon bostic of florida helped himself imo...4.61 40 very fluid and explosive in drills...looks like a good mid round value to me not sure about his instincts however haven't watched much florida ball this year if anyones got any takes i'm all ears...very good showing though

arthur brown didn't participate or run but i see him as a 3 down lb in the pros many project him as a weakside backer in the 43 i thnk he has the ability to play the mike personally as well...2nd round value imo...very instinctual and flies to the football

jamie collins of usm was interesting...4.64 very explosive in drills...although i think he's played mostly with a hand in the dirt in college so a switch to lb is quite the projection...i'd like to see more of him

zavier gooden was body beautiful and ran 4.47 excelled in drills but the guys got little to no instincts as a lb as such i pass...

khaseem green 4.67 40 i think he's a late 2nd round early 3rd round value...instinctual nose for the football backer...but not rediculous athlete

kiko alonzo didn't run which was a bit surprising to me but he's got plus size and shows good instincts and fluid hips can drop and cover i think he comes of the board no later than round 4...possible late round 3

kevin minter 4.82 40 no real burst or explosion this is a 3rd round value lb being pegged in late round 1 i don't get it...average athlete lacks the speed to get to plays on the perimeter of the field...instinctual b/t the tackles lb that can be exposed in coverage and has a 2 down future in the pros...i think he's pulled in the nickle

aj klein is a sleeper mid round lb that i have as a target in the 4th round...instinctual 4.66 lb with pretty good wheels...football player

sio moore of uconn took the combine by storm...29 reps of 225 lbs 4.65 40 showed up late to the senior bowl and showed off some ability to rush the passer on the edge dominated at the east west shrine game...day 2 pick that i'm gonna try and get more of a look at his tape

alec ogletree i thought was a bit underwhelming...i expected a 4.6 backer that flew all over the field...what i got was a 4.7 one that lacks strength at the poa has a real tendency to tackle high and doesn't show great instincts at lb at this stage...still i think his best footballs in front of him...he didn't run well enough and has too many off the field incidents to go in the top 20 imo...late round 1 backer

manti teo...average pretty much across the board...4.82 40 average in the explosion drills...not a top 20 pick guy...more late round 1 early round 2 backer...got the tebow treatment by the nfl network like i expected...way too much time spent following this guys every move instead of the on field work...quite overrated imo

charles washington 4.55 265 lbs 36 reps of 225 lbs...boom...sending every team back to scour his tape...ghost at georgia on tape so some buyer beware but i'm with the group that likes him as a straight ahead pass rusher and not a guy that has to think so much as a lb...he needs to hunt the qb...situational edge pass rusher value in the 3rd round to me...i don't see how he gets out of day 2 after yesterdays showing...

chase thomas is a 3rd round value lb that is not gonna wow you with measurables and testing #'s but he's a football player...i think he'd make a nice 43 solb and he's got some provide pass rush abilities...real strength in his hands

Hoops I'll be updating my mock later today based on current rumors coming from the combine. You'll find my picks, for lack of a better word, interesting

Hoops I'll be updating my mock later today based on current rumors coming from the combine. You'll find my picks, for lack of a better word, interesting

well then i think you'll be pretty on target...the top of the board is flipping after this weeks work...i can tell ya that...by the way we need another corner other than milliner to really step it up today...whether it be banks or trufant or for you xavier rhodes guys...someone needs to step up and be a top half of round 1 value...

b/t rhodes strikes me as more cb/safety tweener...that's dicey stuff imo...how you end up with sean smiths...i think he'll test like one also and show more safety hips...

well then i think you'll be pretty on target...the top of the board is flipping after this weeks work...i can tell ya that...by the way we need another corner other than milliner to really step it up today...whether it be banks or trufant or for you xavier rhodes guys...someone needs to step up and be a top half of round 1 value...

b/t rhodes strikes me as more cb/safety tweener...that's dicey stuff imo...how you end up with sean smiths...i think he'll test like one also and show more safety hips...

yeah I'm waiting till the DBs start working out, but I can tell you this, if things go as I think, Te'o will fall out of the first round and there will be A LOT of surprises.

Only thing I still have that you won't agree is Werner in the top 10. Just too much need for pass rush, but I no longer having him going 2nd overall.

yeah I'm waiting till the DBs start working out, but I can tell you this, if things go as I think, Te'o will fall out of the first round and there will be A LOT of surprises.

Only thing I still have that you won't agree is Werner in the top 10. Just too much need for pass rush, but I no longer having him going 2nd overall.

well you may be right on woerner...i think top 5 is out the window there now but we'll see what you put together...those ot's are going higher than people think after seeing the competition at other positions i can tell ya that...if lane johnson gets by san diego at #11 somethings really wrong

day 4 dbs...

welcome to pick #12 consideration cb desmond trufant...5 ft 11 5/8 190 lbs 17 reps on the bench 4.38 official time...best db on the field all senior bowl week...high level on tape in both press and off man...showed solid ball skills and hands yesterday...this kids a lot closer to #12 than he is #42 after running that number at almost 6 ft tall...

welcome out of pick #12 consideration cb jonathon banks...4.6 40 isn't gonna cut it...he'll be coveted by cover 2 teams and with that kind of speed it's probably gonna be late round 1 early round 2...no more top 20 for banks

cb robert alford just locked up round 2 after posting that 4.39 official 40 time...you could see this kid sneak into the top 50...long and lean solid hips and transitioned out of his pedal well...explosive when he put his foot in the ground and drives forward...keenan lewis woth better tools...should be a miami target

cb david amerson has terrific high end physical tools...gifted feet good quick acceleration and long speed as that 4.38 can attest...technique fails him at times...if he can shore up his technique and keep his head in the game i think he can play a solid boundary corner...love the size...6 ft 1 200 plus lbs...a lot of buyer beware though...i think someone pulls the trigger on the tools in round 2

s matt elam probably locked up a top 50 pick...early round 2 guy imo...explosive will strike you not a big fan of him in the slot in man coverage looks more like a strong safety to me in the pros...some stiffness in his hips...we got a high end strike safety in reshad jones already so i'd pass...running low 4.5 really helped him

cb tyronn mathieu looking at his body you could tell he hadn't spent much time in the weight room...he was leaner than i expected in the lower half and shoulders...still he showed off terrific ball skills and very good feet ran a 4.5 flat official at just under 5 ft 9 with long arms for his size...bottom line with this kid is he's a playmaker and ballhawk...something this secondary could really use at the corner position...off the field issues like jenkins last year difference b/t him and jenkins is jenkins had top 10 pick physical tools but he still went mid round 2...mathieu doesn't possess quite that level tools but he's got a shut down attitude and swagger i really like and i don't have a problem plucking that playmaker late in round 2 or more likely where i think he comes off early round 3...slot corner with some ability to play the boundary...nose for the football...plays bigger than his size also

cb terry hawthorne 4.40 official 40 time was thick and muscular for a corner...a little stiffness transitioning out of his pedal but he's got high end feet...good tools...solid 3rd round pick cb

cb dee milliner when he ran 4.37 official locked up a top 10 pick and maybe even top 5...tapes too good against high level sec comp at that speed and size to get out of the top 10...not happening for miami...rankly though after he ran that rediculous number his day went downhill...didn't look great in drills struggled to catch the ball...but that won't deter someone in the top 10

s kenny vaccaro running in the early 4.6 range i think put his stock more in the pick 20-25 range than top 12...had he run 4.5 i think then we'd be talking top 10 possibly...15 reps of 225 lbs best cover safety in the class can man him up over the slot which is added value...

cb jordan poyer running in the low 4.5's at 5 ft 11 7/8 and 191 lbs probably locked up a 2nd half of round 2 pick...i could see him still on the board early in round 3 but he drives on the football in an off position very well and he locates the football...not sure about how much more upside there is there though...

cb xavier rhodes helped himself running in the 4.4's at 6 ft 1 1/2 and 210 with left tackle like arm length of 33 3/4...i could see him in consideration for miami at pick #12 if sean smith leaves and i like his tools a little more than smiths but there's a lot of corner safety tweener stuff there for me so it's dicey stuff...i wouldn't do it...i'd take trufant over him...rhodes is body beautiful though that's for sure but i see tweener...and i don't think he's physical enough to play safety in the pros...this is another sean smith like prospect imo

cb logan ryan ran slower than expected i think as a result he's a round 3 corner now...may be wishing he stayed in school right about now...

s philip thomas low 4.6's not bad time not the most explosive move athlete on tape...ball skills though are very apparent and solid instincts which will make up for some of the lack of acceleration and straight line speed...pretty fluid hips...a little stiffness out of his pedal...late 2nd round safety imo...teams will like the instincts and the ball skills...

cb jamar taylor helped himself also yesterday running low 4.4's...i think he's a lock pick by the end of round 3...

nickell robey at 5 ft 7 1/4 is just too short for me...i liked him as a nickle slot defender but lets put it this way if he was ever across from ryan swope in the slot he'd be giving up 5 inches to the guy...too short...i pass

cb bw webb another small school corner that helped himself yesterday...just over 5 ft 10 ran under 4.5 flashed man cover skills and burst at the senior bowl week...no later than round 4 can see him off in round 3...

by far the most shocking thing i saw yesterday was cb darius slay turn in a 4.36 official 40 time...on tape he looked more 4.6 to me...i did not see a guy that played anywhere near that fast...very fluid in drills good hips good feet...wowed me with his workout...guess i got to do more leg work there...missed the boat on his tools...worst case round 3 pick may have shot up into round 2 yesterday

Phillip Thomas isn't an elite caliber athlete, but neither was Brock Marion when he came out of Nevada. The instincts, ball skills, size, build, and playing style reminds me a lot of Marion.

Xavier Rhodes compares favorable to Chris McAlister when he came out of Arizona. I've always thought the talk of Rhodes moving to safety was a bit ridiculous. This is a kid that Florida St. just left out on an island and could trust him. He's able to flip his hips and transition smoothly to turn and run. There was nothing they had to do in order to camoflauge any lack of ability that I see a lot of with other CB's.

To the contrary, they put him in a position where he was allowed to do what not many DB's can. The sign of a legitimate cover corner can typically always be found by what positions they're allowed to be put in. Rhodes was always on an island.

I think Rhodes is the best press CB in the class by a comfortable margin. Also, his 11' broad and 40.5" vertical were just as impressive as his 40. Milliner gives you more scheme diversity. But I'd actually like Rhodes better for Miami if we're keeping Smith. Let both players press most of the game.

No love for Duke Williams? 4.41, 4.00 on the 3-cone, 37 inch vertical, and a 10'6 broad. I knew that he was an athlete when I saw him covering WR's at the Senior Bowl. It wasn't that he was trying to cover them. He was covering them well. Size isn't a strength at 190, but he's a hitter. I'd love to have a secondary of K. Lewis, X. Rhodes, R. Jones, and D. Williams next season. But I'd be content with Smith and Rhodes. Jones and Williams though would be really nice together. Can't see Williams lasting beyond the 3rd after his showing in the Senior Bowl and the Combine.

I also like Alford a lot. I like him a little more than I do Trufant. Trufant has really quick feet, but he was a little high in some of the DB drills . . . and that worries me a bit. Rhodes does a better job of getting down than Trufant - even though he's longer. Trufant's feet, though, are clearly quicker.

I'd rate Poyer ahead of Banks at this point. Banks would be my 6th CB (he was 4th before the combine).

man i left a few guys out...my bad...tough crowd...yes duke williams showed well...i think he's a day 2 safety at this point and i also liked what i saw from him coverage at the senior bowl...

Surprised to see banks is getting so much flack, I didn't watch the combine yesterday but he looked real good in College. Id love to see us pick up a top CB and get honey badger for the slot. I think second round for Mathieu is a bit rich for me though.

Shame Smith seems to be going, we coulda been set at CB if we kept him on top of that.

Back
Top Bottom