Hope and concern: Miami Dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hope and concern: Miami Dolphins

Perfect72

It's Only Happened ONCE!
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/53341/hope-and-concern-miami-dolphins-3

[h=1]Hope and concern: Miami Dolphins[/h]
The Miami Dolphins finished the 2012 season with a 7-9 record.

Here are the biggest reasons to be hopeful and concerned about Miami heading into the offseason:

miagif-1.jpg
Reason for hope: Draft picks and cap room

The Dolphins project to have well over $40 million in cap space this offseason. They will be major players in free agency and looking to greatly improve their roster. The Dolphins have needs at receiver, tight end, cornerback and the offensive line. Miami also must decide which of its own pending free agents to keep. One of the biggest decisions is what to do with starting left tackle Jake Long. The four-time Pro Bowler is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in March and is looking to cash in big. Long would eat up a lot of Miami's cap space this year if he is re-signed or gets the one-year franchise tag. Miami also has five draft picks in the first three rounds due to recent trades of receiver Brandon Marshall and cornerback Vontae Davis. With plenty of resources, expect Miami to have a more dynamic and talented roster in 2013 that better suits first-year head coach Joe Philbin.

Reason for concern: GM Jeff Ireland

Dolphins fans have a love-hate relationship with their general manager, and that's understandable considering his track record. Miami is 13-19 the past two seasons under Ireland. He's done a solid job in the draft, with recent hits like quarterback Ryan Tannehill and center Mike Pouncey. But Ireland's track record in free agency has been questionable. Last year alone, Miami's biggest free-agent signings were cornerback Richard Marshall, quarterback David Garrard and receiverChad Johnson. All were major busts. That should make Dolphins fans at least a little nervous going into this year's open market. The Dolphins will be big spenders in free agency, but none of that matters unless Ireland proves he can make the right decisions.

Discuss...

I don't blame Ireland for missing on Chad Johnson, Richard Marshall, or David Garrard. Ireland new they were all risks and that's why none of them got paid very much money. Ireland is trying to build through the draft with some cheap free agents thrown in. My final judgment on Ireland will have a lot to do with the upcoming draft. He better hit on a few players.

James Walker? Hang on, I'm about to vomit in my own mouth and then swallow it so that I can do it again.

Calling Richard Marshall a bust is unfair, because I never saw health as a concern for Marshall. he got injured. He'll be back and hopefully in his slot role.

Miami has to strike CB in the first 2 rounds. Just like we need a WR in the first 2 rounds. After that, go buck wild with BPA

IMHO..Ireland getting fired should be a new thread every day until it happens. Hopefully Ross or his minions will take note.
There are now several GM's available that have better resumes than the ball boy 13-19 record.
Ross should at the minimum kick the tires and fire a warning shot to Ireland...it is not much for a suffering fan base to ask.
Ross needs to take action. The status quo is not acceptable.
Ireland is no genius.

Calling Richard Marshall a bust is unfair, because I never saw health as a concern for Marshall. he got injured. He'll be back and hopefully in his slot role.

Miami has to strike CB in the first 2 rounds. Just like we need a WR in the first 2 rounds. After that, go buck wild with BPA

Is he worth the $5.8M cap hit as a Nickel CB?

He was supposed to be one of our starting CB's or Safeties. He ended up starting at CB after beating out Vontae (prior to him being traded).

$5.8M seems like an awful lot for what he will be. I'm fine with letting Marshall go.

Back
Top Bottom