Hoping Deiter wins the RG spot | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hoping Deiter wins the RG spot

Being brutally honest, anyone who expects or even thinks this OL can be above average in 2020 is still asleep and dreaming. This OL is either almost as bad as last year's, or every bit as bad as last year's. Sorry, but spending draft picks is a lot different than choosing quality players or getting instant OL help. Every one of our OL picks was a project ... every one. NONE are ready to start.

Jackson has real potential to be elite ... but lets face it, he's a 2021 draft pick chosen in 2020. He is the youngest OL, AND he missed prep time recovering from the bone-marrow transplant last offseason, and he was physically out of shape for most of last season, AND he will be deprived of the training camp and other pre-season instruction he desperately needs because of the Coronavirus. He is rounding into collegiate shape now ... but he's nowhere near NFL shape yet ... and he lacks the necessary reps/experience, and he is denied the training time ... kid is going to be a good prospect in the 2021 season, but he'll have a rocky 2020 if he plays.

Hunt is very similar to the other physically dominating small school brute who came in with poor technique ... Turner. I have hope that Hunt can learn it, but expecting that to happen as a rookie under these conditions is asking too much of the kid. He barely pass protected in college! If he plays, it will be at guard in 2020. Expect a LOT of QB pressures to get through him regardless of position.

Kindly is a guy I really like, but yes, he has a bad body, much like Curtis Weaver our rookie pass rusher. Kindley proved he could pass protect in the SEC earlier in his career, and he is a dominant power run blocker. When he gets his body in shape, he has the makings of a quality power pig guard. But, rookies tend to struggle, and much like Deiter, Kindley's success will likey come after his rookie season.

All three guys are projects. Looking at them any other way is just wearing rose-colored glasses ... or possibly aqua-and-orange-colored glasses if you prefer.

Our BEST OL on this team at this time is Jesse Davis, and he's nothing spectacular, he's more of an average OL. IMHO, he is a lock for one OT position simply because he's the only guy on the entire team that can actually play OT in 2020. My biggest fear is that the hole at the other OT position causes us to pull Ereck Flowers (paid starter money) away from OG where he can be successful to man the other OT position where we have definitive proof he is horrible. IMHO, we can get horrible from one of the rookies or a journeyman FA. At least with Davis at one OT, Flowers at one OG, and Karras at OC we have 3 average OL. Then the other two positions can be manned by OL who can learn as they go, and maybe by season's end be halfway decent.

As for Michael Deiter, I think he's a good prospect and will show much better this year, whether that is at LG/RG/OC, probably depends on who gets hurt ... because our OL always get hurt. Injuries will likely give each rookie a shot to start. Let's just hope they develop fast enough to actually be able to take it. I've been fooled by OL before, guys like Turner and Asiata that never developed. I hope these guys can step up. I actually expect Jackson to become a good blindside protector (RT with Tua) in year 2 ... but let's not have unrealistic expectations of these kids for 2020. It's not an ordinary season.

I agree 100 percent.

Progress is all we should hope for.

Linemen are rarely ready the first year... unless they were truly dominant in college.

If you look closely, you will find that the guys trashing Deiter are the same ones who trashed Gesicki after his first year.

I wont comment about WHY they do this.
I don’t think anyone is trashing Deiter. I just think that there is a huge question as to whether he will ever be a quality starter in the NFL. Obviously we want him to have success because the Dolphins have not had much success in recent years with offensive linemen they have drafted after the first round.

As I pointed out in an earlier posts, it appears the Dolphins front office and coaching staff have their own concerns regarding Deiter because they drafted 3 offensive linemen and signed Flowers to a large contract to be their starting left guard.

Obviously that doesn’t mean Deiter can’t come in and win a starting job but if the staff was confident he would take a giant step up in his development, you have to wonder if they would have spent so many draft picks on the offensive line.

Best man for the job! I don't hope for any one Dolphin O-lineman ahead of another. If you've seen his pre-Draft video, Michael Deiter is intelligent and happens to be blessed with a terrific self-deprecating sense of humor and is easy to root for, but that doesn't really count for anything. If he outperforms his rivals and is perceived as best by our coaches, then OK, but unlike some other posters, I don't profess to say that I know who is best. Best man for the job!

I don’t think anyone is trashing Deiter. I just think that there is a huge question as to whether he will ever be a quality starter in the NFL. Obviously we want him to have success because the Dolphins have not had much success in recent years with offensive linemen they have drafted after the first round.

As I pointed out in an earlier posts, it appears the Dolphins front office and coaching staff have their own concerns regarding Deiter because they drafted 3 offensive linemen and signed Flowers to a large contract to be their starting left guard.

Obviously that doesn’t mean Deiter can’t come in and win a starting job but if the staff was confident he would take a giant step up in his development, you have to wonder if they would have spent so many draft picks on the offensive line.

Well... some have been less than graceful in their comments...

As far as your analysis goes... I'd agree with most of what you've said, with the following caution.

Our line was legendarily bad last year- the worst Dolphins line that this 50 year fan has ever seen. When your line is that bad, you double-dip... especially when you have 14 draft picks.

Normally, I would agree that the fact that drafting more players at a particular position means that a team lacks faith, but when you legitimately have 5 open line spots, I think it means less.

Jackson, Flowers, Karras, Kindley, Hunt. That’s how Id start the line. Get them all jelling and then put Tua in. This here would allow us to be a strong running team.

Jackson, Flowers, Karras, Kindley, Hunt. That’s how Id start the line. Get them all jelling and then put Tua in. This here would allow us to be a strong running team.

That would be a terrible line. You want to get Tua killed, then roll with those guys. I'd prefer Jesse Davis and Michael Deiter over Kindley and Hunt. Davis may be a JAG, but I'm still very high on Deiter. A lot higher on him than Hunt or Kindley

That would be a terrible line. You want to get Tua killed, then roll with those guys. I'd prefer Jesse Davis and Michael Deiter over Kindley and Hunt. Davis may be a JAG, but I'm still very high on Deiter. A lot higher on him than Hunt or Kindley
Why do you think Deiter (and Davis) are better than the new guys? Yeah they need some experience but we’ve seen what Deiter has to offer so far

I would like to see that as well. However all of his college starts were LT, LG, and a few at C. Nothing on the R side.
True, but that's because he was one of the greatest Wisconsin OL ever. He made the All-Decade or whatever team for the Big 10. He was always one of their best pass protectors, so the best guys tend to play LT--blindside protectors for right handed QB's. I'm confident Deiter can play either side with some time to adjust. But, I definitely think he is a G/C and not a T except in a pinch.

Why do you think Deiter (and Davis) are better than the new guys? Yeah they need some experience but we’ve seen what Deiter has to offer so far

Because Hunt is a great athlete but has bad technique and has never mastered the position. He was able to get away with a lot of that in college because he played for a small school. I hate drafting guys like this. I thought taking him over Ezra Cleveland was a huge mistake. I have a feeling he's Billy Turner 2.0. Kindley to me just looks like a sack of marshmallows. Another wasted pick.

I like Deiter because #1 he played for Wisconsin which has a history of producing quality linemen, and #2 he has shown to have a great work ethic as he has been working hard this offseason in order to get better. Most linemen don't dominate coming right out of the gate. He will be better next year. In fact, I would bet money on it.

Last edited:

I think it all comes down to do you believe what a player looks like their rookie season on a bad team means that's what they're going to look like the remainder of their career. I think we as fans sometimes put too much value on one season or one game for better or worse. How many times have we seen players look great or bad one season and totally different for most of their careers?

Back
Top Bottom