Hoping Deiter wins the RG spot | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hoping Deiter wins the RG spot

To me, the left side of our line as well as the center position should be (no guarantees) solidified with Jackson, Flowers and Karras.
For the sake of having a primarily home grown and youthful (as well as very powerful) offensive line, I'd love to see Deiter beat out Davis for the RG job while Hunt proves to be the mauling, dominant RT we all hope he will be.
Deiter struggled mightily at times last year but he's a young, strong kid from Wisconsin (an NFL o line factory) with major upside. I don't think 3rd round picks should be expected to just slide in and dominate as rookies, and maybe he just needed that first year trial by fire to learn the hard way and develop.
We don't need to have superstars at every OL position, but hopefully we have a young OL that gels nicely and works together well sooner than later... Can't be worse than last year, can it?
I would like to see that as well. However all of his college starts were LT, LG, and a few at C. Nothing on the R side.

Deiter was drafted in the 3rd round because he can fill in at any spot on the OL. That being said, he was not really a great prospect at any single position due to a lack of strength and limited athleticism (if he only played LG for example he would have been a 5th or 6th round pick). Now that doesn’t mean he is a bum, a bust, or won’t be a capable starter down the road. However, he needs to add a ton of strength if he wants to beat out Davis or Hunt at RG. We will see what kind of shape he shows up in this year. Personally, I think he could eventually replace Karas at C in a year or two (in a perfect world). I don’t see him being a starting RG.

To me, the left side of our line as well as the center position should be (no guarantees) solidified with Jackson, Flowers and Karras.
For the sake of having a primarily home grown and youthful (as well as very powerful) offensive line, I'd love to see Deiter beat out Davis for the RG job while Hunt proves to be the mauling, dominant RT we all hope he will be.
Deiter struggled mightily at times last year but he's a young, strong kid from Wisconsin (an NFL o line factory) with major upside. I don't think 3rd round picks should be expected to just slide in and dominate as rookies, and maybe he just needed that first year trial by fire to learn the hard way and develop.
We don't need to have superstars at every OL position, but hopefully we have a young OL that gels nicely and works together well sooner than later... Can't be worse than last year, can it?

From what I have read about Jackson, he appears to be a project at this time. While he is projected to be solid LT eventually, I don’t think you can count on him coming in and being a big upgrade immediately. It could take him a year or two to develop into an NFL offensive lineman. He was exposed when he played against the better defensive ends while he was at USC and he will be facing NFL defensive ends every game.

I think the coaching staff like Davis and I suspect he will be starting at RG or RT. If Deiter is able to beat out anyone on the OL it would likely be Hunt who is projected to be the starting RT or RG at this time. If Hunt isn‘t ready to be a starter in the NFL early in the season, Deiter might get the starting RG spot if he has improved dramatically from last year. It is up to Dieter to show the coaches that he is ready to come in and compete for a starting job this year. We shall see what happens.

i want Jackson and Hunt to win jobs because they are better then the alternatives. It’s a win, win having 2 young guys out there and hopefully for many years. I think Flowers and Karras were brought in to play. That leaves one spot, hope somebody blows everybody else’s doors off and clearly wins the job. The starting 5 aren’t that important, injuries will hit and depth guys will be out there. The key is that they don’t destroy the line play, like we’ve seen in years past. Jesse Davis getting beaten out and being the 1st guy off the bench would be great.

If Deiter ends up being able to prove himself at R-Guard, and Hunt proves to be very capable at R-Tackle...This O-Line in my opinion is for the most part fixed....Though we still will get another premium Linemen early next year.

Deiter at Center, and Karras instead at Guard is also s possibility if Hunt sticks at Tackle....With all due respect to Davis, if he is needed to play a position, we still have problems, and I'm not as down on Davis as many here are, but he is at best an OK emergency backup that can play any of the 5 positions if need be.

Deiter was bad last year. Davis was much better. We’ll see if he can keep his job but I’m really unsure if he even gets 2nd team

I like Dieter and I think he was dealt a bum hand last year, but I hope the person who helps our OL perform better, be that Dieter, Davis, Hunt or Kindley, gets the start at RG.

One year in a crazy situation, with all the other lineman struggling with their own assignments so nobody could cheat over and help the rookie out from time to time. Not to mention this will be a different offensive scheme. Dieter is in the same boat with Hunt and Solomon Kindley.
Deiter was over drafted in the first place.

I like Dieter and I think he was dealt a bum hand last year, but I hope the person who helps our OL perform better, be that Dieter, Davis, Hunt or Kindley, gets the start at RG.
I really don’t see how he was dealt a bum hand last year. He was given plenty of opportunities to show he could be an effective player in the NFL and he just wasn’t good enough. Perhaps he will come in and be a better player in year 2 but I don’t see him ever being more than a backup offensive lineman in the NFL.

Hopefully he will prove me wrong but I also hope Hunt and Kindly come in and prove to be two guards that
the Dolphins can count on for the future.

He's played ONE year in the NFL. The kid should and will get a chance again this year. There's a lot of competition now with several players trying to start at guard. I'm hoping he can develop into a solid starter or at least a good back up.

He's played ONE year in the NFL. The kid should and will get a chance again this year. There's a lot of competition now with several players trying to start at guard. I'm hoping he can develop into a solid starter or at least a good back up.
Exactly.

Rd3 linemen are almost never ready day one. IDK if he will ever be a dominant lineman, but one season, on a team with such a substandard line overall is too soon to tell.

Having a backup, that can play multiple posotions isn't a horrible thing either.

Back
Top Bottom