Hoping Deiter wins the RG spot | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hoping Deiter wins the RG spot

He's played ONE year in the NFL. The kid should and will get a chance again this year. There's a lot of competition now with several players trying to start at guard. I'm hoping he can develop into a solid starter or at least a good back up.
I always root for every player on the Dolphins and Dieter is no different. I hope he improves dramatically from his play last season. Yet I look at the fact the Dolphins spent 3 draft picks on offensive linemen and
also signed Flowers to a large contract.
So based on the number of offensive linemen they drafted and the signing of Flowers, it appears the front office and the coaching staff have their own questions regarding Dieter and several of the other offensive linemen who were on the roster last season.

Being brutally honest, anyone who expects or even thinks this OL can be above average in 2020 is still asleep and dreaming. This OL is either almost as bad as last year's, or every bit as bad as last year's. Sorry, but spending draft picks is a lot different than choosing quality players or getting instant OL help. Every one of our OL picks was a project ... every one. NONE are ready to start.

Jackson has real potential to be elite ... but lets face it, he's a 2021 draft pick chosen in 2020. He is the youngest OL, AND he missed prep time recovering from the bone-marrow transplant last offseason, and he was physically out of shape for most of last season, AND he will be deprived of the training camp and other pre-season instruction he desperately needs because of the Coronavirus. He is rounding into collegiate shape now ... but he's nowhere near NFL shape yet ... and he lacks the necessary reps/experience, and he is denied the training time ... kid is going to be a good prospect in the 2021 season, but he'll have a rocky 2020 if he plays.

Hunt is very similar to the other physically dominating small school brute who came in with poor technique ... Turner. I have hope that Hunt can learn it, but expecting that to happen as a rookie under these conditions is asking too much of the kid. He barely pass protected in college! If he plays, it will be at guard in 2020. Expect a LOT of QB pressures to get through him regardless of position.

Kindly is a guy I really like, but yes, he has a bad body, much like Curtis Weaver our rookie pass rusher. Kindley proved he could pass protect in the SEC earlier in his career, and he is a dominant power run blocker. When he gets his body in shape, he has the makings of a quality power pig guard. But, rookies tend to struggle, and much like Deiter, Kindley's success will likey come after his rookie season.

All three guys are projects. Looking at them any other way is just wearing rose-colored glasses ... or possibly aqua-and-orange-colored glasses if you prefer.

Our BEST OL on this team at this time is Jesse Davis, and he's nothing spectacular, he's more of an average OL. IMHO, he is a lock for one OT position simply because he's the only guy on the entire team that can actually play OT in 2020. My biggest fear is that the hole at the other OT position causes us to pull Ereck Flowers (paid starter money) away from OG where he can be successful to man the other OT position where we have definitive proof he is horrible. IMHO, we can get horrible from one of the rookies or a journeyman FA. At least with Davis at one OT, Flowers at one OG, and Karras at OC we have 3 average OL. Then the other two positions can be manned by OL who can learn as they go, and maybe by season's end be halfway decent.

As for Michael Deiter, I think he's a good prospect and will show much better this year, whether that is at LG/RG/OC, probably depends on who gets hurt ... because our OL always get hurt. Injuries will likely give each rookie a shot to start. Let's just hope they develop fast enough to actually be able to take it. I've been fooled by OL before, guys like Turner and Asiata that never developed. I hope these guys can step up. I actually expect Jackson to become a good blindside protector (RT with Tua) in year 2 ... but let's not have unrealistic expectations of these kids for 2020. It's not an ordinary season.

It take time. Some of these guy end up being good on other team. It will take us at least 2 to 3 yr fix our oline..

It take time. Some of these guy end up being good on other team. It will take us at least 2 to 3 yr fix our oline..
I does take time, but I certainly hope not 3 yrs. If it does, we are likely starting over again, new coach and all.

Look, we aren't going to have a top shelf O-line this year, but we will be starting 3 competent vets. Not pro bowlers, but competent.

By next year, they should be solid. Screw that 3 year nonsense.

I does take time, but I certainly hope not 3 yrs. If it does, we are likely starting over again, new coach and all.

Look, we aren't going to have a top shelf O-line this year, but we will be starting 3 competent vets. Not pro bowlers, but competent.

That what u hope. It took 49ers some time too.

Being brutally honest, anyone who expects or even thinks this OL can be above average in 2020 is still asleep and dreaming. This OL is either almost as bad as last year's, or every bit as bad as last year's. Sorry, but spending draft picks is a lot different than choosing quality players or getting instant OL help. Every one of our OL picks was a project ... every one. NONE are ready to start.

Jackson has real potential to be elite ... but lets face it, he's a 2021 draft pick chosen in 2020. He is the youngest OL, AND he missed prep time recovering from the bone-marrow transplant last offseason, and he was physically out of shape for most of last season, AND he will be deprived of the training camp and other pre-season instruction he desperately needs because of the Coronavirus. He is rounding into collegiate shape now ... but he's nowhere near NFL shape yet ... and he lacks the necessary reps/experience, and he is denied the training time ... kid is going to be a good prospect in the 2021 season, but he'll have a rocky 2020 if he plays.

Hunt is very similar to the other physically dominating small school brute who came in with poor technique ... Turner. I have hope that Hunt can learn it, but expecting that to happen as a rookie under these conditions is asking too much of the kid. He barely pass protected in college! If he plays, it will be at guard in 2020. Expect a LOT of QB pressures to get through him regardless of position.

Kindly is a guy I really like, but yes, he has a bad body, much like Curtis Weaver our rookie pass rusher. Kindley proved he could pass protect in the SEC earlier in his career, and he is a dominant power run blocker. When he gets his body in shape, he has the makings of a quality power pig guard. But, rookies tend to struggle, and much like Deiter, Kindley's success will likey come after his rookie season.

All three guys are projects. Looking at them any other way is just wearing rose-colored glasses ... or possibly aqua-and-orange-colored glasses if you prefer.

Our BEST OL on this team at this time is Jesse Davis, and he's nothing spectacular, he's more of an average OL. IMHO, he is a lock for one OT position simply because he's the only guy on the entire team that can actually play OT in 2020. My biggest fear is that the hole at the other OT position causes us to pull Ereck Flowers (paid starter money) away from OG where he can be successful to man the other OT position where we have definitive proof he is horrible. IMHO, we can get horrible from one of the rookies or a journeyman FA. At least with Davis at one OT, Flowers at one OG, and Karras at OC we have 3 average OL. Then the other two positions can be manned by OL who can learn as they go, and maybe by season's end be halfway decent.

As for Michael Deiter, I think he's a good prospect and will show much better this year, whether that is at LG/RG/OC, probably depends on who gets hurt ... because our OL always get hurt. Injuries will likely give each rookie a shot to start. Let's just hope they develop fast enough to actually be able to take it. I've been fooled by OL before, guys like Turner and Asiata that never developed. I hope these guys can step up. I actually expect Jackson to become a good blindside protector (RT with Tua) in year 2 ... but let's not have unrealistic expectations of these kids for 2020. It's not an ordinary season.
I tend to agree that the offensive line is a massive work in progress. That is also why I don’t see Tua playing much this coming season. You are right about Jackson and Hunt. Both of them are players with potential but also neither of them have great technique at this time. Jackson was mediocre at best when he played against the better defensive ends in college. He needs to get stronger to be an effective offensive lineman in the NFL and it might take him 2 or 3 years to become a solid LT in the NFL.

Hunt is said to be very strong and effective in the running game but he played at a small college against lower level competition. He won at the line of scrimmage in college with ordinary technique and just because he
was stronger than the players he was playing against. I think that just like Jackson, it will take a year or two to determine if Hunt can be a consistent starter in the NFL.

Karras is a mediocre center who the Patriots didn’t make much of an effort to sign. He will be the starter simply because the Dolphins don’t have another center on the roster who appears to be better at this time but I don’t see him being anything more than a short term starter who will likely be replaced by the 2021 season.

Flowers played well in Washington last year as a guard. Yet he is expected to be a leader on the offensive line and playing next to Jackson and Karras is going to make it harder for him to play to the level he did last year. He is still adjusting to the guard position in the NFL and having a rookie playing tackle next to him isn’t going to help him continue to develop.

Kindly is a player who played well in the SEC but Georgia had a very good offensive line overall. I think like Jackson and Hunt, it is going to take Kindly a while to develop and as You stated, he needs to get in a lot better shape to be a success in the NFL.

The coaching staff likes Davis and I have no doubt he will be starter on the offensive line. As you stated though, he is average at best. Deiter and the remaining backups on the offensive line are all backups for a reason. While the Dolphins have an opportunity to have a solid offensive line in the future if the young offensive linemen reach their potential. I agree with you that in 2020 the offensive line will probably not be any better than it has been in recent years. There are just too many young players who need to play at a higher level than they are projected to immediately and I will be surprised if that happens. .

I tend to agree that the offensive line is a massive work in progress. That is also why I don’t see Tua playing much this coming season. You are right about Jackson and Hunt. Both of them are players with potential but also neither of them have great technique at this time. Jackson was mediocre at best when he played against the better defensive ends in college. He needs to get stronger to be an effective offensive lineman in the NFL and it might take him 2 or 3 years to become a solid LT in the NFL.

Hunt is said to be very strong and effective in the running game but he played at a small college against lower level competition. He won at the line of scrimmage in college with ordinary technique and just because he
was stronger than the players he was playing against. I think that just like Jackson, it will take a year or two to determine if Hunt can be a consistent starter in the NFL.

Karras is a mediocre center who the Patriots didn’t make much of an effort to sign. He will be the starter simply because the Dolphins don’t have another center on the roster who appears to be better at this time but I don’t see him being anything more than a short term starter who will likely be replaced by the 2021 season.

Flowers played well in Washington last year as a guard. Yet he is expected to be a leader on the offensive line and playing next to Jackson and Karras is going to make it harder for him to play to the level he did last year. He is still adjusting to the guard position in the NFL and having a rookie playing tackle next to him isn’t going to help him continue to develop.

Kindly is a player who played well in the SEC but Georgia had a very good offensive line overall. I think like Jackson and Hunt, it is going to take Kindly a while to develop and as You stated, he needs to get in a lot better shape to be a success in the NFL.

The coaching staff likes Davis and I have no doubt he will be starter on the offensive line. As you stated though, he is average at best. Deiter and the remaining backups on the offensive line are all backups for a reason. While the Dolphins have an opportunity to have a solid offensive line in the future if the young offensive linemen reach their potential. I agree with you that in 2020 the offensive line will probably not be any better than it has been in recent years. There are just too many young players who need to play at a higher level than they are projected to immediately and I will be surprised if that happens. .

Agree with pretty much all this.. one thing Digital mentioned was comparing Hunt to Billy Turner, god that scares me.. let’s hope he turns out better. I’d rather have him be the long term RG but if he’s a good RT that’s cool too.. I assume Davis and hunt man the right side this year

I thought i read that Kindley has lost like 15 pounds since the draft? If so that’s got to help his movement ability.. not sure if he’s best suited left or right

Deiter, can’t recall where he played most in college, but Flowers will be the starting LG. So i guess Deiter will be one of the top interior depth guys?? Him and Kindley my guess. Deiter probably gets some training at C I would hope

Jackson needs to beef up and be working on his technique but he’s gonna have to learn on the job because the other options suck

Bottom line: we are gonna be crossing our fingers for good things this year.. hope for development

Linemen are rarely ready the first year... unless they were truly dominant in college.

If you look closely, you will find that the guys trashing Deiter are the same ones who trashed Gesicki after his first year.

I wont comment about WHY they do this.

I don't see him having the functional strength to play RG.

Smart, durable guy, with a lot of experience up and down the line. Pretty good at blocking at the second level. Might work out at center.

I'm a short term guy. All I want is for the OL - collectively and individually - to play better game 14 than game 2. THEN evaluate talent.

I really don’t see how he was dealt a bum hand last year. He was given plenty of opportunities to show he could be an effective player in the NFL and he just wasn’t good enough. Perhaps he will come in and be a better player in year 2 but I don’t see him ever being more than a backup offensive lineman in the NFL.

Hopefully he will prove me wrong but I also hope Hunt and Kindly come in and prove to be two guards that
the Dolphins can count on for the future.
You’re right, he was given every opportunity to succeed. Stable coaching, veteran leadership, positive environment and quality and consistency in the line-up around him, everything a rookie needs to develop.

He’s no world beater, he may not even have a place in the NFL, but I feel for him as he was dropped into a shitty situation for any rookie to be in. If you don’t think he was dropped into a shitty situation then I disagree.

I just hope the Dolphins fans are not expecting instant-success, because these guys need time to develop, and each has their own issues as discussed previously. The most consistent predictor of non-success in the NFL is sub-par technique. Typically only guys with the physical attributes ever are given the chance to learn sub-par technique, and those are also the only ones who command top dollar as free agents.

One thing I really admire about the genius of the Patriot system is that they avoid those players. They go for low ceiling and high floor guys with solid technique. That ensures that they typically have average but not bad OL, and can secure those guys for low prices. Given their consistent success over many years, they need role players like that who they can afford, and they get it along the OL. They draft quantity over quality, and if a guy works out quickly, they invest. If he doesn't show promise quickly, they cut ties and try someone else. Sure, they invest in LT's, but they're looking for solid technicians at all positions. That makes them plug and play. Karras is just such a guy, low ceiling and high floor, solid technician. Quite simply, Ted Karras is replaceable for the Patriots. But for an OL that is consistently horrible, he represents a solid upgrade. I was hoping we'd get more guys like that.

Instead, we spent this draft going for projects. The youngest OL in the draft who is coming off of an unusual physical ailment (giving bone-marrow for his sister). Another one who is a small school guy who has very little experience even pass protecting and is making a humongous jump up to the NFL, will likely take a good year to adjust. A third guy whose body is out of shape but possesses dominant run blocking skills and mediocre pass protection skills. All three projects. All three with relatively high ceilings and very low floors. These are the polar opposite of the Patriots OL strategy. If our rookies develop, we will not be able to re-sign them most likely. The Dolphins don't extend guys early, nor do they pay top dollar to retain their FA's ... especially along the OL.

So, the most likely scenarios are:
A) Delayed Success
It takes these guys 1 to 2 seasons to develop, and by year 3 they are too expensive to resign. Maybe we exercise the 1st round 5th year option on Jackson and re-sign him, but by the time Hunt and Kindley are good, they'll leave.

B) No Success
We give these guys 4 years to develop, but they either do not become decent players or they become run of the mill players who we do not re-sign in free agency.

Either way I don't see this as a sound drafting strategy. Once again, the Dolphins abandon a good plan and choose to become the incubators for future big money FA's, and never have a stable or good OL. I hope I'm wrong ... but that's how I see it.

yeah, our draft picks at OL are projects, just like all the other draft picks we made.

all things considered, i like the trio of Austin Jackson, Ereck Flowers and Ted Karras better than Julien Davenport, Daniel Kilgore and the revolving door at LG, which leaves RG as wild card heading into 2020 (assuming Jesse Davis plays RT). to be clear, i don't expect good OL play in 2020, but considering the players we started in 2019, i don't see "almost as bad" or even "every bit as bad" in 2020.

Last edited:
Man how long since we hit on a non 1st round pick in the draft? Tim Rudy or Todd Wade .... both those guys came in the second.
Shula drafted Rudy and Wanstache draftEd Wade....yeah it has been a while

Back
Top Bottom