Avalanche of Wins

Perennial All-Pro
Club Member
Reaction score
Hudson Houck, Miami

Offensive line coach

houck_m-1.gif

Houck

A year ago, Houck was in San Diego, coming off a horrible 2003 season with the Chargers and entering the last year of his contract as part of a lame-duck coaching staff. He then molded a ragtag unit with five new starters  none of them first-round picks  into a cohesive group. A year later, he is in Miami and is one of the highest-paid assistants in the NFL.

Houck is part of the new staff organized by Dolphins head coach Nick Saban, who hired him to turn one of the worst units in the NFL into an effective offensive line. Houck did it in San Diego, and he can do it in Miami.

First and foremost, Houck is a teacher. He has an extensive college coaching background, which is a big factor in his ability to mold young guys. He is a genuinely good guy with a nonconfrontational style and steady personality. His players trust him and believe in him. He will have a lot of work to do in putting together the Dolphins' line, but the five guys he puts on the field won't look like the group from a year ago that gave up 52 sacks. Expect the improvement to be dramatic.

I have to say that I was surprised by the attitude the new coaching staff has taken on our existing OL.I thought we would end up spending a goodly amount of our cap money fixing it but instead we have a coach who thinks he can turn our toads into princes.If he pulls it off he deserve every penny of the one million plus he is going to be getting.

CrunchTime said:
I have to say that I was surprised by the attitude the new coaching staff has taken on our existing OL.I thought we would end up spending a goodly amount of our cap money fixing it but instead we have a coach who thinks he can turn our toads into princes.If he pulls it off he deserve every penny of the one million plus he is going to be getting.
Very very true

It's great the O-line could be a positive fo us, there are also a ton of subtle changes that will make this team a lot better. I am really looking forward to seeing this team on the field in 2005.

we do have a LOT (A LOT being an understatement here) more talent on our offensive line then Huock had in San Diego when he took over there.

good read, thanks.

Just think of the top 12 players on our Oline we have four of our own first day picks, Carey, McKinney, Smith, and Whitely. Three second day picks, Hadnot (who has starting experiance), Alabi, and Pape. Add five free agents, McIntosh, James, St. Clair, McDougle, and Bush. All of whom had extensive starting experiance elsewhere in the league (except Bush who only has a handful of starts I believe)

Thats a lot of young, none over thirty, raw talent in positions where coaching and time seem to develop better players. Last year under Tony (not very) Wise was a do-over which got them playing time if not a lot of good experiance. Houck has a chance to build something very special!

Back
Top Bottom