How about some Gesicki tape? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How about some Gesicki tape?

The one thing that I have noticed about Gesicki... and it's a minor one, but I have seen it a couple of times. The 'drops' that he is awarded almost all seem to come on throws that are behind him. I saw a couple of those last year that were credited as drops, but in reality, they would have been difficult catches... but those are the ones that he has trouble with. He seems to catch everything else.

The one thing that I have noticed about Gesicki... and it's a minor one, but I have seen it a couple of times. The 'drops' that he is awarded almost all seem to come on throws that are behind him. I saw a couple of those last year that were credited as drops, but in reality, they would have been difficult catches... but those are the ones that he has trouble with. He seems to catch everything else.
My one gripe with Gesicki are contested catches. I'm not talking about those "50/50 catches." Those jump balls are better than 50/50 with Gesicki.

When I say, "50/50," I mean those passes that are behind or underthrown, and it's a 50/50 chance he comes up with it, and since I think Gesicki has "weak hands," then it's not slanted towards him.

With Fitz at QB, 50/50 catches, or "jump balls," are, more often than not, a reception for Gesicki. When Tua has thrown those passes, it usually means that the defender has the upper hand, because he underthrows them. Perhaps it'll be different next season; I hope it will.

It's truly funny how underrated Mike Gesicki is compared to certain other players on our team. If this guy were on the Patriots, Cowboys or Packers people would be drooling.

It's truly funny how underrated Mike Gesicki is compared to certain other players on our team. If this guy were on the Patriots, Cowboys or Packers people would be drooling.
There are more than a few posters here who were completely against the drafting of Gesicki... trashed him unmercifully... and now have a log-sized chip on their shoulder as he's proven them wrong.

They won't get over it.

It’s unfortunate and that’s how it goes. Nonetheless his skill set is why I think I would be hard and redundant to an extent to draft a talent like Pitts.

Yes yes Pitts is a HOFer according to some already. Skip playing and just give him the gold jacket.

Overall the skill sets are far too similiar than they are different to warrant drafting Pitts.

Ofcourse if he’s there at 18 then you take him.

There are more than a few posters here who were completely against the drafting of Gesicki... trashed him unmercifully... and now have a log-sized chip on their shoulder as he's proven them wrong.

They won't get over it.
LOL, yeah, and I still remember them comparing him to a giraffe and sooooo many of them preferring almost every other TE in the last 5 drafts over Gesicki, instantly calling him a bust, and constantly naming bust after bust who we should draft over him.

I'm very happy to see Mike Gesicki proving all those doubters wrong. :)

It’s unfortunate and that’s how it goes. Nonetheless his skill set is why I think I would be hard and redundant to an extent to draft a talent like Pitts.

Yes yes Pitts is a HOFer according to some already. Skip playing and just give him the gold jacket.

Overall the skill sets are far too similiar than they are different to warrant drafting Pitts.

Ofcourse if he’s there at 18 then you take him.
Very good point @ANUFan !

So the appeal of Pitts, who is definitely one of the best prospects in this draft, is that he can become a mismatch TE who has the size to dominate CB's and the speed to dominate LB's. The prototypical mismatch monster. The thing is ... that's what Gesicki already is. Gesicki is one of the league's best seam threats, with his combo of 6'6, long arms, and insane vertical. He's simply too big for almost every defender, so he's always open if you throw a catchable ball up high. But running a 4.5 means he can distance himself from those bigger defenders like LB's and SS's. Today's LB's are trending towards hybrid SS/LB combo guys who rarely reach 6'4, and almost never are 6'6, meaning that the defense may not have even a single player on the field who can match up against Gesicki. But, despite his 4.5 speed, he doesn't have the explosion needed to dominate on the outside. He's a slot receiver like most move TE's.

Pitts is the same thing physically. While Pitts isn't quite as big and profiles a tad more towards the Shannon Sharpe type move TE, both Pitts and Gesicki would fill the same role. They're the uncoverable option over the middle, on 3rd down, and in the red zone. But if you have two of those guys on the field at the same time you're sacrificing something. Typically, teams like to have 2 types of outside receivers, with one being a true deep threat that scares a safety into playing deep coverage and not threatening the LOS. With one less defender in the box, the run game flourishes--which is the basic premise behind many offensive schemes in vogue today that showcase mobile QB's much like the Wildcat did. So if the defense doesn't need to keep one guy high to defend against true speed, then those offenses break down ... so you NEED one speed receiver, even if he gets 1 target and 0 catches a game. Teams really can't afford to sacrifice that. Then for the other position teams need a workhorse WR, and that's the guy who usually gets a ton of receptions, moves the chains, and scores most of the TD's. Usually these are the guys who are a team's #1 and the guy who faces double coverage a lot. On the Dolphins, that guy would be DeVante Parker. So if we draft a Ja'Marr Chase or DeVonta Smith, he would be drafted to take t hat Parker role. Kyle Pitts would be drafted to take the Gesicki role over the middle.

Given Parker's age, injury history, and contract situation, I'm fairly confident we'll be looking to add an outside #1 WR rather than a move TE seam threat for over the middle. While Pitts is absolutely a great prospect and deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as the Chase, Smith, Waddle types ... I don't see the fit for the Dolphins really being there.

TE is one of those positions where there are a LOT of busts. Tons of guys with potential never realize it in the NFL. It's a basic position in college, either a glorified slot receiver or a glorified 3rd OT. But in the NFL, it is probably the single position that jumps way up in complexity, and many elite prospects can't handle that jump. Surely Gesicki has had his own difficulties adapting to it. But, not every prospect can make the jump .... in fact many cannot. I'm not ready to assume Pitts is going to live up to his potential. It's too much of a crap shoot to project, and very risky to make a pick on a TE at #3 overall. In fact, it's never happened in the history of the NFL. In large part because TE's have less value than WR's and in part because the risk at TE is simply higher than WR. So, I'm holding off on the gold jacket until he earns it. But, there's absolutely no denying his potential. Pitts is an elite move TE prospect.

Very good point @ANUFan !

So the appeal of Pitts, who is definitely one of the best prospects in this draft, is that he can become a mismatch TE who has the size to dominate CB's and the speed to dominate LB's. The prototypical mismatch monster. The thing is ... that's what Gesicki already is. Gesicki is one of the league's best seam threats, with his combo of 6'6, long arms, and insane vertical. He's simply too big for almost every defender, so he's always open if you throw a catchable ball up high. But running a 4.5 means he can distance himself from those bigger defenders like LB's and SS's. Today's LB's are trending towards hybrid SS/LB combo guys who rarely reach 6'4, and almost never are 6'6, meaning that the defense may not have even a single player on the field who can match up against Gesicki. But, despite his 4.5 speed, he doesn't have the explosion needed to dominate on the outside. He's a slot receiver like most move TE's.

Pitts is the same thing physically. While Pitts isn't quite as big and profiles a tad more towards the Shannon Sharpe type move TE, both Pitts and Gesicki would fill the same role. They're the uncoverable option over the middle, on 3rd down, and in the red zone. But if you have two of those guys on the field at the same time you're sacrificing something. Typically, teams like to have 2 types of outside receivers, with one being a true deep threat that scares a safety into playing deep coverage and not threatening the LOS. With one less defender in the box, the run game flourishes--which is the basic premise behind many offensive schemes in vogue today that showcase mobile QB's much like the Wildcat did. So if the defense doesn't need to keep one guy high to defend against true speed, then those offenses break down ... so you NEED one speed receiver, even if he gets 1 target and 0 catches a game. Teams really can't afford to sacrifice that. Then for the other position teams need a workhorse WR, and that's the guy who usually gets a ton of receptions, moves the chains, and scores most of the TD's. Usually these are the guys who are a team's #1 and the guy who faces double coverage a lot. On the Dolphins, that guy would be DeVante Parker. So if we draft a Ja'Marr Chase or DeVonta Smith, he would be drafted to take t hat Parker role. Kyle Pitts would be drafted to take the Gesicki role over the middle.

Given Parker's age, injury history, and contract situation, I'm fairly confident we'll be looking to add an outside #1 WR rather than a move TE seam threat for over the middle. While Pitts is absolutely a great prospect and deserving of being mentioned in the same breath as the Chase, Smith, Waddle types ... I don't see the fit for the Dolphins really being there.

TE is one of those positions where there are a LOT of busts. Tons of guys with potential never realize it in the NFL. It's a basic position in college, either a glorified slot receiver or a glorified 3rd OT. But in the NFL, it is probably the single position that jumps way up in complexity, and many elite prospects can't handle that jump. Surely Gesicki has had his own difficulties adapting to it. But, not every prospect can make the jump .... in fact many cannot. I'm not ready to assume Pitts is going to live up to his potential. It's too much of a crap shoot to project, and very risky to make a pick on a TE at #3 overall. In fact, it's never happened in the history of the NFL. In large part because TE's have less value than WR's and in part because the risk at TE is simply higher than WR. So, I'm holding off on the gold jacket until he earns it. But, there's absolutely no denying his potential. Pitts is an elite move TE prospect.

Excellent points all the way around. Btw, I’m not bashing Pitts at all and nor are you. This offense, as you’ve alluded to, would get a lot more out of a true #1 WR than a Gesicki-like type of player.

Also, remember how Gesicki wasn’t all world and didn’t have a TD his first season. Heck he only started coming in towards the middle of his 2nd year going forward. The potential was always there! But the opportunity maybe not so much.
Point being a Pitts player may go through those growing pains. Especially at that position and God help that player considering the patience of fans. If he doesn’t have at least 10 TDs by his 3 game...look out!

Sadly that’s the standard for any player WW draft in the 1st round it seems. Either you’re great from day 1 or you’re a bust. There’s no inbetween.

Im so happy we didn’t take that approach with Gesicki and actually allowed the guy to develope.

I also laugh because some still try and rate him as a bottom tier TE in the league.

Last edited:
I was a fan of Gesicki coming out of Penn St. He really is a big, fast guy with an amazing ability to catch the football. He got crushed on this site for not breaking out right away and looking a bit awkward. But, he has made great progress and he is a guy teams have to defend when playing us. Parker and Williams both can play but struggle to stay healthy.

Back
Top Bottom