How about some Gesicki tape? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How about some Gesicki tape?

Dig I think Tua is a classic rhythm passer, he thrives in the action of 1,2,3 find the open target and release..

Im very confident in how Gesicki wins on his catches and its not about route running or seperation, it’s all about catch radius..so while I know Tua with his innate accuracy traits can get him the ball in rhythm and in tight windows, I don’t believe that’s what your looking for in his receivers..

Gesicki is a classic jump ball 50/50 catcher.Tua needs twitchy receivers who can separate at The line and cut the field up into angles..

I mean I agree that Gesicki can run a route down the seam and all you got to do is throw it high and no one else in football is going to beat him to that catch point, and yes he can catch the fade route, but to me that’s a receiver in the rotation..

its Pitts vrs Smith, Chase, Waddle.etc..

Pitts and Smith are the best separators in that group.one of those two I think is the call with the first pick, hopefully we can trade down a bit.
Agreed about Tua being a rhythm passer. Most NFL QB's are these days. It's the crux of all these short passing offenses that spawned from the West Coast Offense. They all use the short pass as a surrogate for a running game. It leads to ridiculously high completion percentages these days.

Pitts is the Gesicki guy actually, he's the size mismatch over the middle. Waddle is the true deep threat to freeze the safety high. Waddle, Chase and Smith are the outside WR's, with Smith being the best separator, followed by Waddle. Chase has the physical body to beat press better than the other two and the ability to win contested catches more often than those skinnier guys. All of them can work with a rhythm passer though, so I think we're good if we draft any of them. Tua just needs to grow into throwing to the Gesicki/Pitts interior guys with size. Much of that should come when he is able to trust his hip and the velocity returns.

I realize that the margin for "open" in the NFL must seem tiny compared to what Tua saw at Alabama, but I'm confident he can throw to WR's who aren't twitchy as well. Those twitchy guys are exactly the ones who have trouble consistently beating press coverage at the LOS. Once Tua regains his velocity and confidence, I think we'll see him able to throw those seam routes. He is an accurate passer, so in time we'll see him excel. We just need a bit of patience.

That one TD though... the one where Gesicki was triple covered and went up over all of them for the TD. At the time, I think that would be the play that taught Tua something... but he never really seemed to get it, even after throwing the pass.
Mike G. Is a fine player who many here overrated due to his "highlights". Gotta think of this type of player differently when he is coming up on FA and payday. MG is not in the class of a Gronk/Kelce/Kittle and certainty not type of guy you would overlook a Kyle Pitts in the draft for. Cool one handed catch here and there but middling to good at best type player and nowhere near elite at the position. Remember this when he is looking for elite type TE $$ next year

So if you’re not in the class of the Top 3 TE in the league then you're not worth anything? Is that the new standard? You have to be top 3 at your position or you're trash?

Last edited:
So if you’re not in the class of the Top 3 TE in the league now then your not worth anything? Is that the new standard? You have to be top 3 at your position or your trash?
Like I said before, everything is an extreme take around here. Either you're going to the HOF before you're even done playing or you suck. You have to play like an all pro in your first pre season game. QB's used to sit for 2 or 3 years before they got to play. Now Tua only gets a few start before people start calling for his head.

Let's unpack that statement a bit.

The no blocking rhetoric is often overblown. Is he a great blocker in a power running scheme? Definitely not, but that's true of most pass catching TEs, and it also isn't what his role is anyway. He has no issues chipping on his way into his route in 11 personnel, or holding up a backside rusher on plays going the other way, such as RPO concepts. In 12, it doesnt matter because it's only 12 personnel as a technicality anyway, it's more like a spread fomation. There's no reason for him to be on the field in and short situations. Tell me how his less than stellar blocking skills is really all that detrimental.

RAC? Most TEs don't have a much in the way of RAC yds, when they play against a lot of zone, and our flankers, as a group, don't force man or press. Not sure what you expect when he is asked to sit down in the "soft spots" on a regular basis.

I'll give you not breaking a lot of tackles.
Problem with tight ends is that they have evolved. So if they don't get enough yards they are trash, but if they can block they are still trash. If they can block, but aren't yardage gainers like Kelce then they are trash still. What argument does finheaven wishes to side with now? There are about a handful of teams that would kill for a guy like Gesecki. He is one of the highest te in the league. Defensive coordinators know his name very well. His one handed catch last season was probably the best catch of the season.

With that said we are a team that needs to address many issues in offense and TE is the furthest position. He has shown improvement season by season. I can't say that about many other players in offense.

Last edited:
Few random thoughts...

Are him and Blake Ferguson doppelgangers are what? Ha

Loved how hype he was for Smythe, seems like a great team player. Tho the entire TE room and coaches must wanna slap him for whistling corny ass songs.

I consider him a top 10 TE with room to prove a few spots, especially if we fix our doodoo WR core. How do we still have Jakeem Ant as a viable WR option?

I like Gesecki. I dont get why people want to get rid of him...
I want to get rid of him because his payday is coming, and it's going to be top 5 money (Austin Hooper 4 years - $42 million). I think we can get similar production for a lesser price tag.

If we keep him, I'm fine with that as well....

I want to get rid of him because his payday is coming, and it's going to be top 5 money (Austin Hooper 4 years - $42 million). I think we can get similar production for a lesser price tag.

Now THAT take I respect... I don't agree with it, but will readily allow that it is a possibility.

My take is that his numbers will take another jump when we have some quicker receivers that force teams to put less quality coverage on Gesicki. I think he'll feast on average cover guys... and that's what he'll get as our WR corps get some quicker guys.

I guess we'll see next year.

If our WRs work out, I think Gesicki will approach 1000 yards and 9 scores.

There Is the catch 22 in this setup. Isn’t it a good thing that the talent you drafted and trained grows to the point they’re going to command big money?

ismt the worst thing to consistently let those guys walk? We’ve done that a lot and how has it worked out for us?

Last edited:
There Is the catch 22 in this setup. Isn’t it a good thing that the talent you drafted and trained grows to the point they’re going to command big money?

ismt the worst thing to consistently let those guys walk? We’ve done that a lot and how has it worked out for us?

Correct. Just a couple of years ago he was a 'bust,' a 'giraffe,' not an NFL player. Now he's good enough, despite poor blocking, to be worth significant money.

That one TD though... the one where Gesicki was triple covered and went up over all of them for the TD. At the time, I think that would be the play that taught Tua something... but he never really seemed to get it, even after throwing the pass.

Was that by play design or due to QB decision making? I think its more the former.

Look at wk 17, when they were forced to throw. Tua was throwing jump balls left and right to Parker and Gesicki.

Last edited:
Perhaps knowing what his shortcomings are, Flores and his offensive staff have figured out how to make Gesicki a productive player? The haters overlook the production since mid 2019. To me what matters most is production and Gesicki has produced since Flores got to Miami. He's not perfect and may not be the complete player other TE's around the league are, but he makes plays when given a chance. Fitzpatrick utilized Gesicki's skillset and got him to develop. Hopefully he continues on the upward swing.

I'm not opposed to adding Pitts into the mix, because I believe combined, they'd be a nightmare on Sunday Afternoons.
Pitts is a different animal and IMO him and Mike on the field together are pretty exciting to think about.

Beyond that -- Gesicki is perhaps the hardest worker on the team and I fully expect him to demonstrate significant improvement as he did last season (i.e., becoming a more "rounded" player).

The fact that some around here still dog him is weird IMO. The kid has proven he has his own brand of "special" talent. We add what we're all hoping for @WR and DVP gets 100% and Bowden ramps up his game and Tua plays big -- watch out! Mikey be dominating some shits on the field!

Commanding big money and commanding top 5 money are two different conversations.

He is an asset to be used and/or moved...as is everyone else on the team.

Commanding big money and commanding top 5 money are two different conversations.

He is an asset to be used and/or moved...as is everyone else on the team.

Absolutely true! But it's just another notch in his resume that he's not the scrub some claim he is.

There is not one comparison I would make between the skill levels as a football player between Pitts and Gesicki beyond the fact both are considered TE’s (although Pitts is much more) and also the fact they’re both big at 6’6”ish and can win contested balls..that’s where it ends.

Pitts is being talked about as a top 3 overall player in this draft and best TE PROSPECT IN. recent memory, even while ignoring the fact he’s not a true TE..he’s more..and better than that.

Even so, picture two 6’6” guys causing havoc together at TE..would be awesome.

Gronk and Hernandez part 2.0, minus the murders and all. Awesome!

Maybe... but it is true that TE may be the single hardest position to master in the NFL. Very, VERY few players are good early.

I've watched the Pitts tapes and it's like watching Gesicki. Most of the time, he isn't all that open, and he has great hands. I'd be all over him if we didn't have a guy who is already filling that role... a guy who seems to be a team-first guy and who can be resigned at a reasonable rate.
You’re blind. Show me the tape you’ve watched on Pitts. Please humor me.

Back
Top Bottom