How about some Gesicki tape? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How about some Gesicki tape?

How many TDs? Does that count for anything? Where does those TDs stack up the last 2 years in the league?
We're not even going to get about this production with literally no threat at reciever and at running back.

Even the great Kelcie and the kid for the 49ers have complementary offensive help that other teams need to worry and account for.

What threats did Miami have to take some of the focus of Gesicki?

I'll wait.
That one TD though... the one where Gesicki was triple covered and went up over all of them for the TD. At the time, I think that would be the play that taught Tua something... but he never really seemed to get it, even after throwing the pass.

My whole thing about Gesicki is this....we only have so many resources to upgrade positions/players.
I believe that upgrading WR,RB,LB,Pass rusher,Center and safety are all bigger priorities than upgrading at TE.

That one TD though... the one where Gesicki was triple covered and went up over all of them for the TD. At the time, I think that would be the play that taught Tua something... but he never really seemed to get it, even after throwing the pass.
I get your point, and agree that Tua either didn't have that level of trust, or was being coached to not take chances. If I recall, there was no real read on that play. The ball came out immediately to the corner. He probably had no idea there would be 3 defenders there.

Not going to make a living throwing into triple coverage....lol.

My whole thing about Gesicki is this....we only have so many resources to upgrade positions/players.
I believe that upgrading WR,RB,LB,Pass rusher,Center and safety are all bigger priorities than upgrading at TE.
This is a huge point, yes we finished 10-6 by going on a 9-3 run to end the year but we don't have a very talented roster. We aren't in a position to upgrade everywhere. I truly think that outside of receiver we go BPA as it will be an upgrade to almost every roster position.

I get your point, and agree that Tua either didn't have that level of trust, or was being coached to not take chances. If I recall, there was no real read on that play. The ball came out immediately to the corner. He probably had no idea there would be 3 defenders there.

Not going to make a living throwing into triple coverage....lol.
Yeah... it isn't ideal. LOL

But Gesicki got that ball... and he made it look... easy. Frighteningly easy.

This is a huge point, yes we finished 10-6 by going on a 9-3 run to end the year but we don't have a very talented roster. We aren't in a position to upgrade everywhere. I truly think that outside of receiver we go BPA as it will be an upgrade to almost every roster position.
I understand your general concept, but I don't think it is reality.

Once you get past rd2, day 1 starters are a crapshoot, and rare at best, so how can you say they would be an upgrade with any degree of confidence.

Not only that, after the top guys are off the board (and in general for that matter) BPA is a flawed concept. There is no way to directly compare a rd4 OG to a safety, for instance, for the purposes of determining BPA.

In fact, I would argue from about mid rd3, you are better off picking for need, and trying to find a diamond with sheer volume of random chances. Unless you are taking a guy for a specific skill, there isn't much seperating lower round players.

Last edited:
Yeah... it isn't ideal. LOL

But Gesicki got that ball... and he made it look... easy. Frighteningly easy.
Oh yeah, I'll take my chances with MG to go up and get it.

There was one on a double covered deep seam that stands out in my mind too.

I understand your general concept, but I don't think it is reality.

Once you get past rd2, day 1 starters are a crapshoot, and rare at best, so how can you say they would be an upgrade with any degree of confidence.

Not only that, after the top guys are off the board (and in general for that matter) BPA is a flawed concept. There is no way to directly compare a rd4 OG to a safety, for instance, for the purposes of determining BPA.

In fact, I would argue from about mid rd3, you are better off picking for need, and trying to find a diamond with sheer volume of ramdom chances. Unless you are taking a guy for a specific skill, there isn't much seperating lower round players.
Absolutely...

The BPA arguments has always been a flawed one because there is no measurable way to determine how good a player actually is. ...and without a measurable quality, one man's value is another's belly-laugh.

In general... BPA makes a lot of sense, but only in general.

A TE getting no separation is a bigger problem than what many assume and it gets compounded when this is a trait shared by most receiving options on a team. There's absolutely no doubt that the Fins only good receivers are Parker and Gesicki and they do get their production to a level where it looks acceptable on the surface. But from a working offense perspective, both these guys being no SEP no YAC guys is problematic.

The offense as is is fueled by 50/50 throws, thats what their best players are good at. Maybe they're so good at it that they're actually 60/40 throws. Even then, you're always putting the ball at risk and there's usually no actual upside to that throw because they dont do anything after catching the ball. It mostly leads to alot of incompletions and defenders having a shot at the ball. Individually, they'll get their numbers, but the offense as a whole is prone to alot of stalling.

Its really no wonder the Fins were great in the red zone for the better part of 2020, the whole freaking offense is built for playing in a box and winning 505/50 balls. Its also no wonder they have problems moving the ball between the 20s consistently without throwing INTs for the same reasons... The makeup of this group has to change significantly.

A TE getting no separation is a bigger problem than what many assume and it gets compounded when this is a trait shared by most receiving options on a team. There's absolutely no doubt that the Fins only good receivers are Parker and Gesicki and they do get their production to a level where it looks acceptable on the surface. But from a working offense perspective, both these guys being no SEP no YAC guys is problematic.

The offense as is is fueled by 50/50 throws, thats what their best players are good at. Maybe they're so good at it that they're actually 60/40 throws. Even then, you're always putting the ball at risk and there's usually no actual upside to that throw because they dont do anything after catching the ball. It mostly leads to alot of incompletions and defenders having a shot at the ball. Individually, they'll get their numbers, but the offense as a whole is prone to alot of stalling.

Its really no wonder the Fins were great in the red zone for the better part of 2020, the whole freaking offense is built for playing in a box and winning 505/50 balls. Its also no wonder they have problems moving the ball between the 20s consistently without throwing INTs for the same reasons... The makeup of this group has to change significantly.
Significantly? No.

Somewhat? Absolutely.

Good teams can do both things well.

Mike G. Is a fine player who many here overrated due to his "highlights". Gotta think of this type of player differently when he is coming up on FA and payday. MG is not in the class of a Gronk/Kelce/Kittle and certainty not type of guy you would overlook a Kyle Pitts in the draft for. Cool one handed catch here and there but middling to good at best type player and nowhere near elite at the position. Remember this when he is looking for elite type TE $$ next year

I agree that we need guys that can do other things but we can't replace everybody in one draft so I'm going for the WR's first at this point.

One of these stat lines is from Darren Waller's first three years in the league... one of them is Mike Gesicki...

18 Receptions, 178 yards, 2 TDs
126 Receptions, 1475 yards, 11 TDs

BTW... here is Travis Kelce
139 Receptions, 1737 yards, 10 TDs

TEs generally take a bit and Gesicki is starting to shine... despite playing for a team with poor receivers, bad QBing, and a shoddy line.

He's good... real good... and getting better quickly... and 25 years old.

Yes... if re re-sign Gesicki, it will be for top 5 TE money... and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom