How are we going to sign..... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How are we going to sign.....

akfinfan

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
How are we going to sign Chris Chambers and Ricky Williams to new deals when the time comes if we are suppossed to be cap driven in a couple years. Both will and deserve high $$ contracts by then I am sure. Any thoughts?

Yes, DG will go, Sam will restructure his contract, as well as Surtain or one goes..J.T. will resign a new deal..In other words our D will give some cap back to our O..or they're gone.

Actually, I think the plan all along was to let Fletcher take over Sam's spot in a couple years, and Release Sam Madisdon. He is over-rated and in a couple years he will be over-paid. Yes, he is great... but we have Patrick Suratin for a much more reasonable price, and many beleive he has been the better cornerback of the two the last two years or so.

But, Chris Chambers is signed for a couple years, so it will be a while before we have to worry about it. Ricky on the oter hand... I dont know. I think we will have to give him a new contract next year. But, we will be able to restructure enough contracts to get him signed. Where we will run into problems is when Fiedler's contract starts ballooning in two years (that is if he turns it around, and we want to keep him.)

But basically, we have a two-year Window, where we will be able to keep all our players under contract, and try to contend for the title.

If we win the SB ...

...things will get really tough because everyone will want star status and salaries (and be offered them in FA).

But I have to add Tim Bowens to the list as he was originally slated to cost $8M against the cap. Can anyone on the roster really justify those bucks in what is clearly a team sport? He a talented guy, but that's more than 10% of the cap for one guy.

Simple rule of thumb for general managers. Stand a guy on the field by himself and see if he can win one game. If he can, he's worth 10% of the cap. Try it for just one quarter during the pre-season.:lol:

grooves12: SAM MADISON IS NOT OVERRATED, we rant and rave about him, buit you don't see many other people doing it that are not finfans. Kinda funny if he is overrated nobody really throws the ball his way.......

Originally posted by chambers84
grooves12: SAM MADISON IS NOT OVERRATED, we rant and rave about him, buit you don't see many other people doing it that are not finfans. Kinda funny if he is overrated nobody really throws the ball his way.......

I concur, Madison is better than Surtain and we should do everything we can to keep him.

Ask Steve McNair how overrated Sam is. He can't seem to go a game agains the Fins without throwing one(or 3) to Sam.

Madison is the best defensive back in the league and he barely makes more then Surtain. The following are the next guys to be released if the cap doesn't go up a lot: DG, Ruddy, and Fiedler, who is sure to be released after the second season of his contract.

Re: If we win the SB ...

Originally posted by GazPhin
But I have to add Tim Bowens to the list as he was originally slated to cost $8M against the cap. Can anyone on the roster really justify those bucks in what is clearly a team sport? He a talented guy, but that's more than 10% of the cap for one guy.

Simple rule of thumb for general managers. Stand a guy on the field by himself and see if he can win one game. If he can, he's worth 10% of the cap. Try it for just one quarter during the pre-season.:lol:

Tim Bowens is under a 5 year $15 million dollar deal and isn't a cap problem. Simply put. Ricky will see more dollars but it will be in that same vein as the Tim Bowens deal. The dolphins hold all the cards. Ricky is signed through 2006 so he either accepts what the phins give him........play out his current contract or retire.

Cap relief will be coming by 2004 via a new Zach Thomas deal (who is on board right now with 5.5 million + salary cap #'s right now) that will lower his first new couple of years to low #'s.

Well the answer is simple, cut Jay Fiedler and his bloated salary so we have money for the future.

Iron man, Fiedler has a VERY low salary the 1st 2 years of his contract. Cutting him would solve nothing and only add a hole at QB.

i dont think either of our cornerbacks are great...i dont want to get yelled at they are very good but great? they both take penalties, and the rams picked us apart. that game was horrible. i know there wasnt really a pass rush but both hardly had any int's.(madison was hurt) but in the big games where were the int's. i would like to see them both on an island with theyre wr. no safety help...have the safetys up for the run if we have the greatest db combo in the league. it only makes sense. y havent done it if theyre so good???? i dont want to be labeled a dolphin hater i love the dolphins. i do like the duo, but they do always have backup with the safeties. they need to be left alone more with the recievers so the safeties can key on the run, and they need to hold theyre own.

Look at the passing stats for that game, they are more than the pass D usually gave up, but nothing spectacular. I remember the commentators even talking about that. In reference to the INTs, you can't pick a ball off if it isn't thrown at you. The reason the safeties stayed back is because that is Jim Bates' scheme. Don't give up the big play, which didn't happen but 3 or 4 times. The fact that the QBs didn't even bother throwing at them is a testament to how much they are respected around the league. Only 3 Qbs I can think of right now even bothered throwing at them regularly, Kurt Warner, Peyton manning, and Vinny T. Warner and Manning threw because they are gunslingers, and probably enjoyed the challenge. Vinny threw cuz he is Vinny and seems to have trouble realizing he can't get it done anymore.

Back
Top Bottom