How bad does Cleveland want a QB? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How bad does Cleveland want a QB?

NJPHIN34

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
I know that in many mock drafts they had Rodgers to SF, Brown to US and then Smith to Cleveland. I know Cleveland has QB as a need but is it one of dire consequences? Does anyone know a lot about Cleveland and would they sit back and let Smith be taken at number 2 (By us or our trade partner)? Or would they be eager to move up and secure the guy they thought would fall to them all along? What are your thoughts?

apparently not. Savage said that he felt no pressure to take a QB early, especially when they have such a high second that could turn into Frye or Campbell

Let the biding begin!!! I knew last year when we were heading down the stretch that we may suffer from that for a while but the reward is two fold, a new HC in Saban and a high draft pick that some teams might fight over. Those that say the talent is less this year isn't paying attention!

I'm a little surprised that Cleveland isn't being more agressive in pursuing Smith or Rodgers. Maybe they are, and just not letting anyone know. I'm sure they can't be counting on Trent Dilfer all too much.

They are rumored to be trading for Simms, but it hinges on the Bucc's getting Smith!

DiepatriotsDie said:
I'm a little surprised that Cleveland isn't being more agressive in pursuing Smith or Rodgers. Maybe they are, and just not letting anyone know. I'm sure they can't be counting on Trent Dilfer all too much.

There's still 8 days to draft day. Could be that they've been thinking all along that Smith or Rodgers would fall to #3. With it becoming more apparent that Smith will go #2, be it to us or Tampa, maybe their interest in a trade will ratchet up a bit.

Or, as suggested, maybe they're just content to pick Jason Campbell in round 2.

heres some rumors about cleveland from an insiders article on espn

We keep hearing three names out of Browns camp – Edwards, Georgia DE David Pollack and Auburn QB Jason Campbell – in that order. The Browns obviously have a bigger need at quarterback than they do at wide receiver, but new GM Phil Savage's philosophy is to draft the best available player.
If Edwards is available when the Browns pick at No. 3, don't be surprised if he is the pick – even if Smith or Rodgers is still on the board. From what we're told, they covet Smith over Rodgers. If Edwards is gone and Smith is on the board, they would draft Smith.

If both Edwards and Smith are gone at No. 3, Cleveland would do its best to trade out of the pick before making a decision between Rodgers and a top defensive prospect, such as Texas OLB Derrick Johnson or Rolle.

Pollack is on the radar for trade purposes. If the Browns get a deal done to trade down, they would covet Pollack, who would be a great fit as a rush linebacker in Romeo Crennel's 3-4 scheme. If the Browns go in a direction other than quarterback with their top pick, Campbell should be their second-round selection.

DiepatriotsDie said:

i'd be very surprised if cleveland moves at all. why take a chance on another system quarterback in the top 5 when so many of your top 5 picks have been busts? they have a ton of holes.

The rumors seem to be Edwards in the first Campbell or Frye in the second.

Back
Top Bottom