How can the Dolphins rebuild the OL to be ready for 2021? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How can the Dolphins rebuild the OL to be ready for 2021?

While other teams also spend the occasional first round pick on an o-lineman, they normally seem to be able to find decent linemen in the middle rounds. Miami uses multiple first round picks and still can't field a competent o-line. I do believe that the coaching/schemes under Philbin and Gase were ineffective, but it sure seems like the Front Office is clueless when it comes to evaluating o-linemen. IMO, the best linemen that Miami has had in the past 10 years have been a healthy Jake Long (who just happened to be the #1 overall pick!) and Incognito (who was a Free Agent).
Seems? Clearly we've prioritized scouts, coaches, and GMs who have no clue what a good O lineman looks like. Then when we fired them, we've replaced them over and over with others who have no idea. We should have had a top O line BY ACCIDENT sometime over the last 20 plus years. We have 100 MM and 14 draft picks. If the O line is a problem at all after this offseason (assuming, many '19 starters go to backups now and we plug in new starters wherever needed), then we're just morons.

It takes more than a single QB to win a SuperBowl. As good as Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers are, they have only won 1 SB. Same with Russell Wilson. Marino didn't win any.

I'm not saying Matt Ryan is all that but I also wouldn't blame a QB for the front office assembling a poor team. If Atlanta had any sense they would have hired Shanahan as the HC. Even though they made the playoffs 6 out of 12 seasons, they have way bigger issues than QB, IMO. O-line for instance. All that investment in the Defense with a defensive "guru" leading the team....

The only constant on that team since 2008 has been Matt Ryan and Julio.

If we're using hind sight to justify the accomplishments of the 2008 rookie class, then we lost big time by drafting Jake Long #1 OVERALL. We only got 4 years out of him.

I would even say that no player from the entire 2008 draft has done more for their team than Matt Ryan.

We have enough picks to improve the line greatly. The question still remains, can we do it?

I tbink barths a developmental guard at the next level.

I thought the tackle group was awful outside of Jones and a developmental Alex Taylor.

Which as a result elevated a pretty meh group of edge players but look like value plays for us. I didn’t see anything where I was like I got to have it on day 2. Value plays or I pass

I hope tbe corner group is better than I saw at the senior bowl. That’s another position that unless the underclass kids carry it I’m going value all the way.

I tbink barths a developmental guard at the next level.

I thought the tackle group was awful outside of Jones and a developmental Alex Taylor.

Which as a result elevated a pretty meh group of edge players but look like value plays for us. I didn’t see anything where I was like I got to have it on day 2. Value plays or I pass

I thought Steele was solid as well, but both him and Barth are day 3 guys.

There was a really good rep when Barth handled Lewis pretty well.

Jones I still like as a tackle because he has really good feet, he did a great job in his slide and keep his should square until contract, took away that inside move well. I know his arms in the sub 33 inch category but he still seems to use them well and he has a hell of a punch, he stunned the mess out of the UF edge on a rep.

The only tackle I can think of to play a plus grade left side witb that short arms was the former Wisconsin guy. He’s a hall of famer probably. But keep in mind his technique was another level.

Zach Martin had similar arm length college tackle kicked inside but his technique and footwork was absolutely flawless.

I don’t think jones kicks inside and I do think he showed a decent anchor but I’m just worried about guys getting into his chest or defeating his arms early and then as a result of short arms he can’t ride them out.

I didn’t much like what I saw from Steele in the game. I thought the tackle group elevated meh edge talent. Guys that fit what we do but guys who are value plays and volume scheme based snap based production type (not hard to find)

And I’m not overdrafting it.

Anyways I will agree with jones is probably one of the top 4 guys to get drafted out of the senior bowl participants. Unless that arm length spoils some folks. In terms of talent I thought he was easily top 5

Along with Herbert, Kinlaw, and love. Lewis being the other top 5 guy

The only tackle I can think of to play a plus grade left side witb that short arms was the former Wisconsin guy. He’s a hall of famer probably. But keep in mind his technique was another level.

Zach Martin had similar arm length college tackle kicked inside but his technique and footwork was absolutely flawless.

I don’t think jones kicks inside and I do think he showed a decent anchor but I’m just worried about guys getting into his chest or defeating his arms early and then as a result of short arms he can’t ride them out.

I didn’t much like what I saw from Steele in the game. I thought the tackle group elevated meh edge talent. Guys that fit what we do but guys who are value plays and volume scheme based snap based production type (not hard to find)

And I’m not overdrafting it.

Steele had some real nice reps in the practice portion...as a later day 3 option, I think I would take that to see if I can develop. I will say that I didn't watch the games and I am basing it on what I saw in practice.

I would like to see Jones work against some DE's that know what they fudge they are doing because outside of some very basic moves, the DE's did little to challenge.

I still think Jackson over Jones in the draft in round 1...Jackson is only 20 and while he has some issues with Balance issues, he is a good athlete and looks longer. I don't think one of the top 4 falls to Miami at 18 so it looks like a combo of Jones, Jackson, Wanagho, or Perhaps Adams. Maybe we get lucky and someone falls out of the top group, but the value of the position and FA being bare, I doubt it happens.

I just don’t know that any of these tier guys are plug and play. So might have to look to a stop gap while these kids up tbeir games to the talent levels.

And I just don’t see any of the top tier true tackles coming to pick 18. I’m not sure some of those guys rated highly are even tackles.

I just don’t know that any of these tier guys are plug and play. So might have to look to a stop gap while these kids up tbeir games to the talent levels.

And I just don’t see any of the top tier true tackles coming to pick 18. I’m not sure some of those guys rated highly are even tackles.
Weirfs will start his career at tackle, but I think he ends up an all-pro guard.

Weirfs will start his career at tackle, but I think he ends up an all-pro guard.

Yeah right tackle or guard. IMO long term likely guard. Not drafting it for left tackle. Be an in game emergency play for me there.

Again... your rude sarcasm is noted... but my real point is that just because a player is drafted highly doesn't make them worthy of that selection.

Reaching for a good QB and pretending that he's a great QB while there are great position players on the board... is a way to remain average.
There was a good post about value that spoke to this the other day, and I agree with your premise. Those two at #1 & #2, were bad value picks, as was Matty Ice. Henne being a #2 could have been a better value had he played a little better, but ultimately he was just a waste of a #2. An unknown in Tua is of questionable value at this point to me, we may be better with the kid out of Oregon. To me #5 is too high for Herbert, but if you want him that has to be the spot because of the importance of the position.

I hope tbe corner group is better than I saw at the senior bowl. That’s another position that unless the underclass kids carry it I’m going value all the way.
CB Group is weak. Safety group seems much stronger IMO.

Spend free agent money on the oline, I trust those guys.

Back
Top Bottom