How Can We Pass On RB R. Brown???? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Can We Pass On RB R. Brown????

Braylon Edwards or Ronnie Brown or Caddilac or Alex Smith and I won't be upset. Did you see Mortensen on ESPN he said the 49's don't want Rivers they believe this years top 5 players are better then last years top five!

I love the idea of drafting R.Brown and Ricky coming back full strength.
Think about both of them in the backfield.Ronnie could run the ball,block
for Ricky or shift to slot reciever on any given play.

PhinDude88 said:
#2 is to high to take any og these Rb's. Dont get me wrong, but i would love to take a RB with the #2 pick. Saban and Lienhan both dont want to have a RB that carries the load by himself. It is becoming clear that Saban will trade down, but for it to work the 49ers would have to pass on Edwards. So i think when draft day comes by th Chargers will trade both 1st rounder to us for #2 pick.

Where does this idea that to take a back with the second pick, you have to give him 350+ carries?

Scott Linehan is going to run a wide open offense. Within this offense, he needs a running back that can play in the single set, can be his own blocker at times, and can be utilized in the passing game. There is not a better receiving runner in this draft than Ronnie Brown, and it is very debateable if there is a better pure runner than Ronnie Brown in this draft.

This is a player that can carry the ball 300 times within the scope of this offense. That's only 19 carries a game, and despite what some of you think, Scott Linehan doesn't run an offense like Marc Trestman. He doesn't completely ignore the running game. Ronnie Brown also brings the aspect of being able to catch 60 passes out of the backfield as well.

This is a player who has the size, speed, vision, and power to play as a single back. He can be played in short yardage situations. He can be played in long yardage situations. He can be sent in motion and split out wide. He can run from the I set. He can play on third down because he has a great understanding of position blocking and blitz pick ups, as well as being a terrific receiver.

This guy is a weapon. He is an X-Factor. He is a player that defense will have to take account of when he is on the field. He isn't just a running back. He is a complete weapon.

IMO, we need to draft a RB (preferably Ronnie Brown) first and foremost, then a QB in a later round.

What I don't understand is the argument that #2 is too high to take a RB, but it's ok to take a QB. So what that means is people are willing to spend BIG money on a QB that will most likely be on the sidelines holding a clipboard (ala Phillip Rivers) instead of getting our money's worth with a RB, who will be on the field earning his big money contract.

My analogy is it's like buying a vehicle (QB or RB). Do I want to spend all my hard earn cash on a brand new vehicle (QB) and let it sit in the garage (sideline) for a year or do I buy my brand new vehicle (RB) and drive right away. I'll take the second of the two. Just my opinion, what do I know?

rafael said:
The reason is it destroys your salary cap. It means you have to sacrifice other positions. Some positions require more money to sign. If you've used up the cash you end up with subpar players at other positions. What do you want to sacrifice?

lets do some research and use the transition tag price to see which positions get paid most (transition tag is avg of top 10 salaries at said position)

Cornerback
Trans ition $6,938,000
Quarterback
Transition $6,831,000
Wide receiver
Transition $6,414,000
Offensive line
Transition $6,201,000
Defensive end
Transition $5,615,000
Running back
Transition $5,239,000
Linebacker
Transition $5,120,000
Defensive tackle
Transition $4,436,000
Safety
Transition $3,926,000
Tight end
Transition $2,095,000

Punter/kicker
Transition $1,599,000

so if a running back is too expensive to take with a high pick, then your saying its also too expensive to take a DE, LB, DT, S or TE correct?

yet again a safety taken last year at 5, and a TE at 6
in 2003 dewayne robertson a DT was taken 4 and john sullivan another DT taken 6, hmmm
in 2002 peppers a DE was taken 2 overall, sims a DT was 6th
in 2001 number 3 was warren a DT, 4 was a DE named justin smith, 5 was no, not a RB!! LT... 6 another DT in seymour and 7 was another DE andre carter

seems like maybe regardless of the salary you need to take the BPA in your drafts rather than only a CB, WR, OL or QB...

Arsenal: great info...I was hoping someone would provide it. You make a valid point about the exceptions over the past few years. Another aspect of this "only take a CB, QB, OL, WR, DE in the top of the draft" argument is that the evidence you supplied feeds on itself--the more people buy into the theory, the higher the top-ten average salaries will continue to rise for those positions because those players get such huge contracts for being drafted at the top of the first round. I imagine that Eli Manning's contract helped push the average QB salary a bit higher.

Rafael was correct in naming the exception. If a player is available at the top of the draft from a "less-valuable" position, you draft him only if you think he'll be that much better (i.e. a difference maker) than the average player at his position. The reasoning for that is an assumption that you can always pick up a FA or draft a player later who is a decent player but who won't cost that much money against the salary cap. The Browns took a huge chance by drafting Kellen Winslow so early. They now are paying a TE like an elite WR. He had better perform like Tony Gonzalez or the Browns will be at a disadvantage for the length of his contract. The "extra" money they have devoted to the TE position has to be taken from other, more expensive positions (like WR or QB).

KB21 said:
Where does this idea that to take a back with the second pick, you have to give him 350+ carries?

Scott Linehan is going to run a wide open offense. Within this offense, he needs a running back that can play in the single set, can be his own blocker at times, and can be utilized in the passing game. There is not a better receiving runner in this draft than Ronnie Brown, and it is very debateable if there is a better pure runner than Ronnie Brown in this draft.

This is a player that can carry the ball 300 times within the scope of this offense. That's only 19 carries a game, and despite what some of you think, Scott Linehan doesn't run an offense like Marc Trestman. He doesn't completely ignore the running game. Ronnie Brown also brings the aspect of being able to catch 60 passes out of the backfield as well.

This is a player who has the size, speed, vision, and power to play as a single back. He can be played in short yardage situations. He can be played in long yardage situations. He can be sent in motion and split out wide. He can run from the I set. He can play on third down because he has a great understanding of position blocking and blitz pick ups, as well as being a terrific receiver.

This guy is a weapon. He is an X-Factor. He is a player that defense will have to take account of when he is on the field. He isn't just a running back. He is a complete weapon.

BINGO!

if the niners dont get him and we dont trade down we have to get him there is nothing or kno one better

I'm not for taking a RB with our #2 pick. I wouldnt mind either way because we are going to get one bad ace player, but I'm much more comfortable starting L. Gordon in the backfield than I am starting Feeley. If Gordon cant get it done than we know Sammy can run. He averaged 4 ypc last year with the horrible O-Line that we had. Edge only averaged like 4.6 with one of the best O-Lines in the NFL.

With Scotts new system QB is much more important than RB, I think Wanny has been around here so long some people forgot how great it is to watch a good QB throw a nice pass. We haven't seen that in years.

you get what you get. If saban wants a RB hes going to get one. If he wants a QB then he will draft one. It doesnt matter what position we have. He will take what he thinks he needs.

Shamboubou said:
I'm not for taking a RB with our #2 pick. I wouldnt mind either way because we are going to get one bad ace player, but I'm much more comfortable starting L. Gordon in the backfield than I am starting Feeley. If Gordon cant get it done than we know Sammy can run. He averaged 4 ypc last year with the horrible O-Line that we had. Edge only averaged like 4.6 with one of the best O-Lines in the NFL.

With Scotts new system QB is much more important than RB, I think Wanny has been around here so long some people forgot how great it is to watch a good QB throw a nice pass. We haven't seen that in years.

but if we dont get brown and we jus pick up a rookie and we still have morris and gordon who do u think we will the starting spot

Well, barring a trade most experts have predicted that R.Brown will be the Dolphin's selection at no.2. So, it looks very possible that he will be picked by the Dolphins. By the way, thanks for that shot of Lacuna Coil. I never knew their singer was that hot! OldSchool

BLITZKRIEG said:
I can't stand all of these "that's too high" senarios. I just don't get it....

Too high for what??....To get a KICK*** player???...

This is crazyness to me. If we want the best RB this draft has to offer, trading down will practically destroy our chances of that happening. Who's going to trade with us anway?? Right now, nobody seems to be wanting trade up at all....

Why can't we get a 2nd rounder for Surtain???...People can't be serious when they say he's only worth a 4th. That's nonsense. He's one of the best DB's in the game!!! I'm shocked we've been unable to unload him for a better offer than a fourth, that's an insult...

PHINZ RULE!!!

Too high? I would bet money that LT would be the #1 overall THIS year if he was in this draft. Brown could be special and is a cant miss type prospect vs Smith. If Rodgers goes #1 as expected, there is only 2 scenarios I see that fit, 1 - drafting Brown, 2 - if we absolutely will not draft Brown, trade down.

KB21 said:

:yeahthat:

Back
Top Bottom