How Carey Should Have Been Dealt With Last Year | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Carey Should Have Been Dealt With Last Year

that is a very true statement, especially with the year we had last year. it would have been a great learning experience. shoot, we started wade smith for 16 games as a rookie and he was drafted in the 3rd round.

OG54 said:
that is a very true statement, especially with the year we had last year. it would have been a great learning experience. shoot, we started wade smith for 16 games as a rookie and he was drafted in the 3rd round.

The only way your going to learn is to get out there and do it. About the only position where it absolutely helps to spend a year is at QB. However a first/second round OL should be thrown in the fire right off the bat. If he gets beaten out then fine. The line would have been much better at that point had they made Carey the starter right away and made St Clair the starter at RG instead of trying to justify the pick they spent on that bum Whitley.

More playing time!

They don't get better sitting on the bench, or for that matter, changing positions very other week....

This is where I disagree. While all of the points above have merit, I believe that all players should have to prove they are the best at their position to earn the starting job. Wanny was not the best talent scout or coach. As bad as he blew it, if all of the coaching staff agrees that a guy cant get it done at that time, then he shouldnt be named a starter just because he was a first round pick.

Especially when he was picked with a 1st AND a 4th. The damn guy SHOULD be ready to start at a position like RT.

Would it be safe to say that Houck and Saban will know how to use/and will use Carey the right way unlike Wanny did last season? I think so. :wink:

Wanny is a hardhead and has favorites. This is one of the reasons he never had any real success as a head coach in the pros.

VanDolPhan said:
Real offensive coaches know better. Wanny was a tool for sticking Carey on the 2nd team right off the bat. Picks that high it should be their job to lose.

Your right, draft picks taken that high in the draft should be starters.

I think Carey may have been taking a round too high though. Not saying he's no good, but to me he was not doing well enough in Camp to be the starter for game one. St.Clair was just plain better.

I do think that by the fourth or fith game he should have started no matter what. They were well on their way to a terrible season, so there was nothing to lose, and everything to gain by letting him learn on the fly....

jaketaylor said:
This is where I disagree. While all of the points above have merit, I believe that all players should have to prove they are the best at their position to earn the starting job. Wanny was not the best talent scout or coach. As bad as he blew it, if all of the coaching staff agrees that a guy cant get it done at that time, then he shouldnt be named a starter just because he was a first round pick.

That's fine. If someone else comes alongs and beats him then so be it. However you don't throw a guy in with the 2nd team when there that high of a draft pick. Especially when they say he needs to learn. No better way to learn then being out there day after day. It was definately a case of St Clair being "wanny's boy"

VanDolPhan said:
That's fine. If someone else comes alongs and beats him then so be it. However you don't throw a guy in with the 2nd team when there that high of a draft pick. Especially when they say he needs to learn. No better way to learn then being out there day after day. It was definately a case of St Clair being "wanny's boy"

St. Clair was the best offensive linemen on the phins last year. Although that is not much praise considering the line last year. I don't think anybody should be just handed a job, St. Clair was better so he should have started, Carey did not win the job, so he should not have started. From all reports it will be an open competition for the QB job, should Saban just give the job to Aj even though Gus outplays him because of what was invested in him? Tony Wise was terrible, but I'm not gonna criticize a coaching staff because they put a better player on the field.

djfresh47 said:
St. Clair was the best offensive linemen on the phins last year. Although that is not much praise considering the line last year. I don't think anybody should be just handed a job, St. Clair was better so he should have started, Carey did not win the job, so he should not have started. From all reports it will be an open competition for the QB job, should Saban just give the job to Aj even though Gus outplays him because of what was invested in him? Tony Wise was terrible, but I'm not gonna criticize a coaching staff because they put a better player on the field.

And you don't think it would have been smarter to have Carey starting from day one at RT and St Clair at RG. The only reason it happened the way it did is because St Clair 'whined' about not being moved as that was the cause of his problems in St Louis and Wanny was still trying to justify that draft pick on Whitley.

When St Clair went down there was no drop off in play from St Clair to Carey. We will see what Houck does with him though. Carey would be solid at RT or RG. I don't really see him being a factor at LT.

So you guys are saying we should start the rookie even if he's been too dumb to learn the playbook? That's most rookies problems.

Back
Top Bottom