"How Close Are The Dolphins To Making The Superbowl?" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"How Close Are The Dolphins To Making The Superbowl?"

I still maintain perennial top 10 teams consistently have 2 characteristics. 1) a top 1 HC. Evidence to date suggests Miami has found one. 2) No BAD players among the starters. Top teams have 4 or more All-Pro players, 4-8 top third players, and a lot of average players. (all numbers are guesses.) Miami has Suh, Jones, Wake (yes, I know his age), Pouncey (yes, I know his injury history), Ajayi (behind an average or above OL), Landry, and, very likely, Tunsil. The problem isn't the top end . . . it's the bottom end (OLBs, OG, slot). This does NOT mean replacing the "bad" players puts Miami in the SB, but it means HAVING them keeps them OUT of the SB. Nor am I saying no other positions need upgraded. But the question WASN'T "How close is Miami to WINNING the SB" and, yes, I'm changing it to "How close is Miami to having a shot at the SB." I'm saying 3 years.

It is nice to go into the offseason knowing this team finally is headed in the right direction. And while i think we're going to continue to improve and go deeper into the postseason, I have to agree with the Dude. It's going to be hard getting past NE while Brady and Belichick are at the top of their game. It's just the way it is. Good news is they're not getting any younger but I honestly think Brady could go play at this level for another 3-4 yrs. He might fall off quick like Peyton did, but I'm not betting on it after the way he played this year.

He'll be 40 next year.

WP_FatherTime_Undefeated.jpg

The team is not close at all IMHO. We had the easiest schedule in the history of the NFL. 4 games against teams that fired their head coaches, 3 against coaches that were fired before the end of the season. We won only one game against a team with a winning record and, judging by the rematch even that win may have been a fluke. Tannehill is still only average.

This is a good point. This team was very fortunate this year. We can't expect to win games like that next year. We still need a lot of talent and Tannehill needs to improve his performance early in games. We won't ever compete for anything if we constantly sleepwalk through the 1st quarter of games

Im just glad that joseph is gone, maybe burke can make this defense good.
That joseph got a job after one year as a mediocre DC is beyond silly.

Tough to say. I don't think we're that far, but I can't assume we're on the doorstep, either.

The big thing I'm going to look at in 2017 is whether or not the team improves from what we saw this season. Will a second year in the Gase offense result in better performance? Will we find a way to improve the defense? That's what I'm looking for. Too early to start talking Super Bowl.

I'm very hopeful that we'll see offensive improvement again this year, since the veterans on offense commented that it was the most complex and difficult offense in which they'd ever played. I want to believe that the offense will be able to do more, and do it more quickly.

Im just glad that joseph is gone, maybe burke can make this defense good.
That joseph got a job after one year as a mediocre DC is beyond silly.

I'm glad he went to the Broncos because I have no confidence that he's going to be a good head coach. Obviously there are no guarantees, and Bowles-- who was a much better coordinator than Joseph-- has done a whole lot of nothing in NY. But Joseph's hiring was a reach. And calling his tenure here "mediocre" is being kind. The defense under his tutelage gave up more yards than any prior Dolphins defense. Injuries happen, but that's not a meaningless stat. There have been plenty of awful defenses in Miami in the past and none were that bad at giving up yardage (although, in fairness, I don't see how one can adequately compare stats between this era and say the 1980s-- much less the 70s-- given the ridiculous rules changes that have unbalanced the game).

In today's NFL you can go from worst to first in a matter of a season or two. If Ryan comes back healthy and we're able to put together at least a semi-decent defense next year we'll be back in the playoff mix next year. Just get in the dance and let the chips fall where they may.

It is nice to go into the offseason knowing this team finally is headed in the right direction. And while i think we're going to continue to improve and go deeper into the postseason, I have to agree with the Dude. It's going to be hard getting past NE while Brady and Belichick are at the top of their game. It's just the way it is. Good news is they're not getting any younger but I honestly think Brady could go play at this level for another 3-4 yrs. He might fall off quick like Peyton did, but I'm not betting on it after the way he played this year.
Everyone over 50 knows at some point late 30s/early 50s, the body's abilities deteriorate significantly in 12-18 months. Long time sports fans have seen this a number of times. Not saying Brady's "deterioration" year is 2017, but I can't seem him playing in 2019. Tangentially, Miami doesn't have to beat NE in the playoffs to get to the SB. Just as possible ANOTHER team beats NE in the playoffs, and Miami plays THAT team.

2-3 years the team especially on defense improves drastically.

I would expect some regression in record as it's somewhat natural in sports, the first year phenomenon then falling back to the new normal.

Now, if the oline comes together and stays healthy, I expect Miami to compete in every game atleast on the offensive side of the ball. Despite what the novices are clamoring for this version of Gase offense runs through the O-line, a healthy o-line means a chance to win. Defensively, a true 2 gapping NT that frees up SUH to wreck the inside of the pocket and another DE to team up with Wake to pinch on either side would improve the pass rush. Getting better LB through the draft is a must since last years were garbage although Alonzo was a bright spot.

Really close!! Notice at the superbowl event the colour scheme is teal and orange!!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Prepare for NE to get more draft picks to remain elite due to:

"The next quarterback that'll be the Cleveland Browns' quarterback perhaps is Jimmy Garoppolo in New England," Lombardi said during a television appearance at the time. "I think Cleveland understands, Hue Jackson specifically understands he needs a quarterback. I think they'll be very aggressive. I think Jimmy Garoppolo's on top of their list, and I think they'll go hard after him. I think the Patriots will decide whether [to trade Garoppolo] based on the deal they're offered and Cleveland has enough assets to entice them."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-browns-will-try-to-trade-for-patriots-backup-qb-jimmy-garoppolo/

Let me know when we change our defensive scheme. Otherwise, it's a pointless question.

Back
Top Bottom