How comfortable are you with Grier spearheading the rebuild? | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How comfortable are you with Grier spearheading the rebuild?

Forget who is spearheading the rebuild, I'm not comfortable with stripping the roster to the point we have regardless of who is at the helm.

I'm mixed but lean towards comfortable. Grier has made his fair share of weak draft picks and has given some questionable contracts. But he also seems very pragmatic, and I like that. He's made some risky choices but he has done a great job of maximizing value. Moving back in the 2nd to pick up a 2nd next year and then still deal that for Rosen was just a great move (regardless how Rosen turns out). And the haul he got for Tunsil was impressive.

does it make up for trading a future 3rd and 4th to move up for Leonta Carroo?

you know I hate to be THAT guy....but I think race played a factor in Ross deciding to keep Grier. After Ozzie Newsome retired and Reggie McKenzie was fired all of a sudden Grier was the last black GM left...it would've been a bad look for the league to wipe out all 3 black general managers in the same offseason. Now as a black dude myself I think it's cool the two most important decision makers on the team are both minorities, along with the Asst GM, senior executive, D Coordinator, Asst HC/QB coach among others....but at the same time that pressure to keep Grier could end up hurting us in the long run, I think there's enough evidence to suggest that he isn't this great evaluator.

He's entitled to his opinion and I don't think it's outrageous.

The league absolutely cares about the optics of stuff like this. Considering that Armando Salguero printed an article in which he said the team was looking at minority head coaching candidates specifically because the job was unappealing and they wanted to get 'overlooked' candidates, I'm not sure why you're stunned by that post.

I mean I'm not just pulling this **** from my ass

The wild-card in all of this becomes Grier. After the retirement of Ozzie Newsome, Grier will become the only minority G.M. left in the NFL, and there soon will be plenty of external pressure placed on the league both to rectify the situation and to not exacerbate it. The league could then turn that pressure toward the Dolphins, and the Dolphins may feel compelled to find a way to keep Grier, even if the new head of football operations (whatever the title) wants to hire his own staff.

You guys don't think the Fritz Pollard Alliance had something to say about keeping Grier?

I just don't see how Grier has earned anything to be a GM. If he were to be canned in Miami he'd probably never be a GM again. I still think Ross should've done a total house cleaning when he fired Gase, so Grier should've been fired as well.

Back
Top Bottom