How comfortable are you with Grier spearheading the rebuild? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How comfortable are you with Grier spearheading the rebuild?

After looking ahead at the Dolphins schedule, wow, do they play some questionable teams. Maybe not Dolphins bad, but bad enough to put the first overall pick into question. Jets twice (starting QB nightmare); Pittsburgh (Mason Rudolph?); Indy (Jacoby Brissett?); Redskins (yuck); New York Giants (only if Daniel Jones is the second coming); Cincinnati (they suck). God forbid the Dolphins find their footing as the season progresses and fails forward fast to a few meaningless wins.
Jets - Main competition (Until Darnold comes back) (?)
Pitt - Still infinitely more talented roster than ours. (Loss)
Indy - Brisset has been playing well. (Loss)
Redskins - That defense has been good and Keenum hasn't been horrible. (Loss)
NYG - All hinges on Jones. (?)
Cincy - Hasn't been playing as bad as expected. They've been in both games so far. (Loss)

Don't underestimate how historically bad we've been through 2 weeks.

I'm pretty sure he is going to be the person running it as I doubt the owner will ask for the tank then fire the people executing it.

As long as they end up with pick one, then it doesn't matter who is in charge...Tua and look to the rest of the picks. I would say that I also like the staff that was added. Slimm has mentioned an increased presence of Dolphin personnel at colleges so it seems like they are doing more work and preparation. Comfortable, about as much as I would be with a brand new person.

I'm not confident in him, however there are others involved (reggie for one).

Another valid point. And it's 100% on target.

It would certainly be a wild bizarre twist of fate if Ross axed Grier + Flores upon the same realization!

But do you seriously think he'd have a clue as to who to target as replacements?

Bottom line, IMO, Grier was/is his only hope.

If this s h i t blows up Ross has gotta get his a s s outta town.

So yeah, the stakes are pretty high!

But we like drama in America!

Won't happen. Need to move on to how Grier and Flo will draft

I don’t know if he’s the right one, but it sounds like a lot of people here think he’s showing all the right stuff, so that gives me some confidence, people who seem to know a lot more than I do.

In response to some of the above, though, it’s a very common business practice to have a manager fire a bunch of employees, and then get the axe himself. I’ve seen it happen too many time and it seems cruel, but that manager gets all the blame and anger directed at him and when he gets fired then, it saves face for the owner and company. It would not be strange at all to see Grier being set up as the fall guy here. I agree...doesn’t look like that’s happening...but nothing is impossible.

And with regards to Ross and Grier being tight, that’s great, but I think if Ross’s buddy Harbaugh decides he wants to leave Michigan and calls Ross asking for the coaching job and his own GM at the end of year, Ross would have to at least consider it, right? While I believe Ross is in good with Grier right now, the job is going to be super attractive at the end of the year, and some real top talent might come calling, talent with proven NFL experience of taking a crappy team to the Super Bowl in 2 years.

Grier and Flores deserve their shot in all this, and I’m glad everyone here who has done there research thinks they can pull it off. I’m excited for next year. But there is definitely a tiny chance they won’t be here to do it...it’s not zero percent.

With what he has done so far, 2 additional 2nd round picks and 3 additional 1st round picks...name a gm that has done more!!

Zero comfort. Whether he had the final say or not, He's had a direct had in the incompetence over the last decade. His last draft where he officially had full control, has had ZERO positive returns thus far all pre-season and the first couple games.

He doesn't hit on his first rounders. He plays it safe just like Jeff Ireland.

With what he has done so far, 2 additional 2nd round picks and 3 additional 1st round picks...name a gm that has done more!!
Still need to replace the LT and S. Chances are probably good that we won't find better players. Oh and we also still need a qb. Fingers crossed.

But on the flip side, really just league-average returns in the draft means we should be a playoff contender for years to come, as long as they get QB1 right. In my mind, our FO has been getting league-average level returns so far in rounds 1-2 the past 4 years. On this board we see who the optimists and pessimists are heheh

Really the odds of building a winner are far greater this way than if they did it business as usual, especially if you think they don't have draft gurus running the thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom