How comfortable are you with Grier spearheading the rebuild? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How comfortable are you with Grier spearheading the rebuild?

For reference, rounds 1-2 past 4 years:
1 - wilkins
2 - *rosen

1 - Minkah
2 - gesicki

1 - c harris
2 - raekwon

1 - tunsil
2 - howard

That's 8 players, so far it looks like: 1 is all Pro, 2 have that clear all-pro upside potential (Minkah and tunsil), 3 solid starters (geisicki, wilkins, c harris), 1 great backup/marginal starter at premium position (rosen), 1 solid but limited player (raekwon). I think plenty of teams would live with that -- I would actually call that not great, but slightly above average.

If we wound up with a similar caliber of players in two years from rounds 1-2 with Tua at the helm, that is a strong foundation for years.

Last edited:
For reference, rounds 1-2 past 4 years:
1 - wilkins
2 - *rosen

1 - Minkah
2 - gesicki

1 - c harris
2 - raekwon

1 - tunsil
2 - howard

That's 8 players, so far it looks like: 1 is all Pro, 2 have that clear all-pro upside potential (Minkah and tunsil), 3 solid starters (geisicki, wilkins, c harris), 1 great backup/marginal starter at premium position (rosen), 1 solid but limited player (raekwon). I think plenty of teams would live with that -- I would actually call that not great, but slightly above average.

If we wound up with a similar caliber of players in two years from rounds 1-2 with Tua at the helm, that is a strong foundation for years.

1by534.jpg

Really the only counter to Grier being a part of two decades of drafting futility is that since assuming the role of GM he does better when drafting BPA then need. When you have 4 picks in the top 50 its going to be pretty hard to screw that up.

Really the only counter to Grier being a part of two decades of drafting futility is that since assuming the role of GM he does better when drafting BPA then need. When you have 4 picks in the top 50 its going to be pretty hard to screw that up.
If two of those picks turn out to be mediocre then it will be a screw up. When have seen the effects of going 50/50 over the last two decades.

If two of those picks turn out to be mediocre then it will be a screw up. When have seen the effects of going 50/50 over the last two decades.
50/50 rounds 1-7. This is the 4 picks in the first 50. If Grier sticks to BPA the odds increase based on his draft thus far. He's done alright the first couple rounds.

Let's get another consultant in, a "draft guru" and I would feel much better. If you are investing this much in a rebuild you need additional consultants.

I like the wheeling and dealing so far but it's impossible to say more unless we could get a definitive answer on who he had final say on drafting.

Still need to replace the LT and S. Chances are probably good that we won't find better players. Oh and we also still need a qb. Fingers crossed.
Might get flamed for this but I wasn't really impressed with Minkah this season, missed tackles and blew coverages. But that's just me. Tunsil will be harder to replace but I love the value we got for him. I'd love to trade for Ramsey! He and X would be the best corner duo in the league!

not at all. He has proven beyond a reasonable doubt he's among the worst talent evaluators in the league this past decade plus. His scouting reports and now his decisions as G.M. are literally responsible for us sucking as bad as we do and the need to tank. Only a complete buffoon would trust this guy to lead their organization.

not at all. He has proven beyond a reasonable doubt he's among the worst talent evaluators in the league this past decade plus. His scouting reports and now his decisions as G.M. are literally responsible for us sucking as bad as we do and the need to tank. Only a complete buffoon would trust this guy to lead their organization.
You've read his scouting reports?

Nice post. Grier has hit pretty consistently when Miami is picking high...Tunsil, Fitzpatrick etc. I also love his trade up for X. Howard.

When picking in the middle of the pack, Grier missed on Harris, then followed up with McMillan.

On a whole, he's probably slightly above average in terms of the draft. If he finds the right quarterback that will obviously be huge.

Got to give him props for being bold with the rebuild. Five first round picks and four second rounder over the next two years is a lot of ammunition.

I don’t have enough evidence to have confidence in Grier..

I do hope that the group of evaluators he has assembled was largely in part to help him make solid decisions..

I’m hoping that this was all part of the plan

Pretty damn smart and conscientious if true, I like it

I'm ok with Grier in charge. I like the people he hired around hired around him too. I just don't want him to get cute. Go with the ones we need, don't try to out think it.

Is this a trick question? Hell no.

What could you have possibly seen in his 10+ years as director of college scouting and 3+ years as GM that makes you have confidence in this guy?

Wanting to give the guy yet another chance, sure. Maybe he will figure it out this time. But to have confidence in him? That's tap water, bro.

Back
Top Bottom