How Deep Will The "cuts" Go?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SF Dolphin Fan, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2 Finheaven VIP

Keep in mind, one overarching theme that I've heard from Flores since his hire is "You are only as strong as your weakest link."

I can absolutely see him preferring quantity over quality at this point in the rebuild.

While our team has talented players, we also have many holes.

Flores is going to want to fill those holes with good players at the expense of bringing in blue chip guys.

Ultimately, I agree that quality is better than quantity, but for now, I am expecting them to go the other way.

2. AdamC13

AdamC13 Awe "Tight End" my favorite position!

6 feet deep.

3. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Daddybutter Super Donator

I thought the same thing when I read that and am actually not surprised Grier said that when looking at the teams track record during his tenure. It’s a ridiculous philosophy. I rather have one Brady, Rodgers, gronk, mack, Hopkins than 3 Danny amendolas.

4. Digital

Digital Starter

This is interesting to watch. Usually, coaches take two years to cut about 80% or so of the roster. That means very few people not on their rookie contracts stay with the team. Everyone has an angle for why they might be the exception though. Usually, it comes down to whether they're salary cap number is suicide to cut them, whether they're locker room leaders who 100% back the coach and are absolutely going to remain loyal, or are they absolutely irreplaceable?

The thing to do is not to figure out who should go. The thing to do is assume that everybody is gone, and prioritize the 20% who might stay. Sure, some culling happens his year, most in fact. But it's not going to be completely done this offseason, there will be another almost as big cull next offseason.

If we are really tanking--and I hope we do--then expect guys with high upside to get lots of game time, and older guys or guys without as high of an upside to get moved out. At this point it's almost semantics whether they're traded or cut, because if they're traded it will be at a fire-sale price. This is just the way it goes. Loyalty is a big deal, and coaches want their guys who aren't going to compare them to the previous regime. Oh yeah, and who fit their systems.

5. Anvil35

Anvil35 Leave Users Titles Alone!! Finheaven VIP Donator

Gilmour costs New England 14+ million in 19, only 8.5 in 18!!! I say pay X unless someone wants to break the bank to get him!

6. 1 dol fan

1 dol fan Super Donator Super Donator Donator

The idea is the league requires a team to spend an average of 89% of the cap for each four year period (I believe it is only applicable to each four year segment, as opposed to a review of the cap average every year for four years back). So we could spend only 80% for two years and then overcompensate for the next two, to get over the 89% threshold

hoops likes this.
  7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

So does anyone know what year in the period we are and where we currently sit percentage wise?

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Perennial All-Pro

I've had him as a great slot receiver..better than Landry who gets paid twice as much, relentless player, doesn't drop the ball..uncoverable.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Ben Had and Laser13 like this.