How Deep Will The "cuts" Go? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Deep Will The "cuts" Go?

Let's not forget, Grier was the one who supposedly pounded his fist on the table for Howard. I think it quite possible Howard is a safe bet, getting a contract extension with Miami.
I thought that was VJ

im cutting every high priced or overrated vet I can minus the money I have to spend to get me to the league required minimum. and I wouldn't spend a dime over it in 2019.

if that means I got to spend money to be at the minimum well then im looking at putting it in x and james first. those are the only 2 guys that fit my rebuild mode and actually could be part of the plans for the long term future. ie 3 plus years or more.

everything else bye.

3 good players instead of 1 great player is a stupid philosophy unless your quarterback and head coach are also great.

Then you can essentially get away with anything

If I were an owner I would have immediately fired any general manager who made that statement. And it makes me far less confident going forward about Grier.

Brady, Gronkowski and Edelman are great players. If you stick a good player like Brandin Cooks out there he can't free his hand to expand his catch radius on one play, and backpedals to the end line instead of attacking the football on a prior pivotal play.

It is all the difference between winning and losing. The Ravens similarly failed to defeat New England in the final seconds of an AFC Championship Game several years ago because they had a good player briefly with the ball in his hands at the goal line, and he didn't value it enough and allowed it to be ripped away. It was a Devante Parker-type move. A great player like Anquan Boldin would have secured the football for all it was worth.

Once in a while an Alson Jeffery type will have a lapse. You can live with that. But you can't have lower tier players in that role and expect them to come through.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Xavien Howard because I'm not convinced he is a great player. He has some great traits, like finding the football. I could be wrong about him. But the Baylor connection and everything from his background makes me lean toward good but not great. I remember Mike Singletary but not much else. We got top production out of Daryl Gardener for a few years while healthy.

im cutting every high priced or overrated vet I can minus the money I have to spend to get me to the league required minimum. and I wouldn't spend a dime over it in 2019.

if that means I got to spend money to be at the minimum well then im looking at putting it in x and james first. those are the only 2 guys that fit my rebuild mode and actually could be part of the plans for the long term future. ie 3 plus years or more.

everything else bye.

Someone else asked in another thread about how much CAN we carry over? Which I believe is unlimited AS long as we adhere to the 4 year 89% rule.

Is that correct?

3 good players instead of 1 great player is a stupid philosophy unless your quarterback and head coach are also great.

If I were an owner I would have immediately fired any general manager who made that statement. And it makes me far less confident going forward about Grier.

Brady, Gronkowski and Edelman are great players. If you stick a good player like Brandin Cooks out there he can't free his hand to expand his catch radius on one play, and backpedals to the end line instead of attacking the football on a prior pivotal play.

It is all the difference between winning and losing. The Ravens similarly failed to defeat New England in the final seconds of an AFC Championship Game several years ago because they had a good player briefly with the ball in his hands at the goal line, and he didn't value it enough and allowed it to be ripped away. It was a Devante Parker-type move. A great player like Anquan Boldin would have secured the football for all it was worth.

Once in a while an Alson Jeffery type will have a lapse. You can live with that. But you can't have lower tier players in that role and expect them to come through.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Xavien Howard because I'm not convinced he is a great player. He has some great traits, like finding the football. I could be wrong about him. But the Baylor connection and everything from his background makes me lean toward good but not great. I remember Mike Singletary but not much else. We got top production out of Daryl Gardener for a few years while healthy.
Just a question for you. Could it be that what they mean but "rather have 3 good players instead of a great one" means that they don't want to over pay for a player to the point where your cap doesn't allow you to build a whole team? We went so far with the contract for Suh but were never able to build a whole team with him. Actually, we never even build a good defense with him.

Someone else asked in another thread about how much CAN we carry over? Which I believe is unlimited AS long as we adhere to the 4 year 89% rule.

Is that correct?

No idea. But can you explain that 4 year 89 percent rule?

I think they stop at dumping all the big contracts that they can without having too much dead money. Reshad stays. Tannehill hopefully is a later cut or trade to save dead cap. But I think everyone else that isn’t on a rookie deal outside of McCain is a goner. Wake? Gone. Quinn is gone. Say your goodbyes to kiko. McDonald is probably gone, unless they decide to use 3 safeties a lot then MAYBE he has a chance. Sitton is gone. I think James stays.

Gore maybe stays for leadership. Same with amendola. They need these types of guys around to show these guys how to work. Kilgore is probably gone if it doesn’t cost too much to cut him. Sadly Hayes is gone. I love that damn guy. Sucks so much he couldnt stay on the field. Stills might be traded. Gray might be gone. Wilson will stay I think. I’d bet they test Howard for his last year before talking new deals.

That leaves us with....crappy QB’s, drake, ballage, gore, smythe, gesicki, tunsil, Jesse Davis, James, Grant, Wilson, amendola, Stills?, Taylor, godchaux, Harris (man we’re gonna be thin at DE next year) McMillan, Baker, Howard, McCain, maybe tankersley can rebound, Jones, Fitzpatrick, McDonald, sanders and haack. Honestly that’s not a bad starting group for a rebuild.

I don’t feel Edelman is a a great player. He’s outstanding in this offense but compared to Brady a first ballet HOF and Gronk he’s way down the list.

Hmmmm except RT17 / Osweiler / QB ABC ain’t no better than Mahomes Brees Rodgers etc etc. Grier will be judged on one decision and one decision only - QB..

Besides we are reading waaaay to much into this.
We’ve seen some of that this season ... the idea of good players over 1 great player.
Wilson- Amendola over Jarvis.
Godcheaux- Taylor over Suh
Ultimately Drake - Ballage - Gore over Ajayi

I don’t feel Edelman is a a great player. He’s outstanding in this offense but compared to Brady a first ballet HOF and Gronk he’s way down the list.

Edelman is second to only Jerry Rice in receptions and receiving yards in postseason history. I don't think that puts the guy down on ANY list, since he plays at his best on the biggest stage.

That's not something that can just be ignored or swept away because of the cast around him.

Hmmmm except RT17 / Osweiler / QB ABC ain’t no better than Mahomes Brees Rodgers etc etc. Grier will be judged on one decision and one decision only - QB..

We’ve seen some of that this season ... the idea of good players over 1 great player.

So if suh plus Jarvis, money vs Wilson, amendola, godchaux and Taylor? What's the difference

Personally, I would cut/let walk on players Parker, Wake, Quinn, James, Tannehill, Stills, Alonso, Jones, McDonald and even X(if we get a really high pick). If you gonna blow it up, then blow it up big!

I think they keep Amendola as a vet presence for the WRs, O’Shea used to be his WR coach as well. He’d probably play here for the vet minimum if he had a good relationship with O’Shea at NE.
He isn’t worth much anymore so if he stays I hope it’s on a restructured deal.

I'd honestly get rid of the majority of vets over 27-28 years old. That includes Wake, Jones, Quinn, Danny, Kiko, etc. This needs to be a total clean slate rebuild. Only keep low cost vets, and the very few that are worth the cost like Sitton.

Wouldn't sign anyone significant. I'd re-sign James as long as it's reasonable, and I'd extend Tunsil and Howard regardless of the cost. Those two guys are building blocks. We have less than a handful of those types of guys on the team.

Build. The. Trenches.
I’m keeping Jones and Wake. I’m not playing for a SB 5 years from now. I’m playing for a SB as soon as possible. I’d get rid of Charles Harris for an 8th round pick in the CFL before cutting Wake.

Grier is one voice of a few in that pick

Back
Top Bottom