How Deep Will The "cuts" Go? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Deep Will The "cuts" Go?

Keep in mind, one overarching theme that I've heard from Flores since his hire is "You are only as strong as your weakest link."

I can absolutely see him preferring quantity over quality at this point in the rebuild.

While our team has talented players, we also have many holes.

Flores is going to want to fill those holes with good players at the expense of bringing in blue chip guys.

Ultimately, I agree that quality is better than quantity, but for now, I am expecting them to go the other way.

3 good players instead of 1 great player is a stupid philosophy unless your quarterback and head coach are also great.

Then you can essentially get away with anything

If I were an owner I would have immediately fired any general manager who made that statement. And it makes me far less confident going forward about Grier.

Brady, Gronkowski and Edelman are great players. If you stick a good player like Brandin Cooks out there he can't free his hand to expand his catch radius on one play, and backpedals to the end line instead of attacking the football on a prior pivotal play.

It is all the difference between winning and losing. The Ravens similarly failed to defeat New England in the final seconds of an AFC Championship Game several years ago because they had a good player briefly with the ball in his hands at the goal line, and he didn't value it enough and allowed it to be ripped away. It was a Devante Parker-type move. A great player like Anquan Boldin would have secured the football for all it was worth.

Once in a while an Alson Jeffery type will have a lapse. You can live with that. But you can't have lower tier players in that role and expect them to come through.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Xavien Howard because I'm not convinced he is a great player. He has some great traits, like finding the football. I could be wrong about him. But the Baylor connection and everything from his background makes me lean toward good but not great. I remember Mike Singletary but not much else. We got top production out of Daryl Gardener for a few years while healthy.

I thought the same thing when I read that and am actually not surprised Grier said that when looking at the teams track record during his tenure. It’s a ridiculous philosophy. I rather have one Brady, Rodgers, gronk, mack, Hopkins than 3 Danny amendolas.

This is interesting to watch. Usually, coaches take two years to cut about 80% or so of the roster. That means very few people not on their rookie contracts stay with the team. Everyone has an angle for why they might be the exception though. Usually, it comes down to whether they're salary cap number is suicide to cut them, whether they're locker room leaders who 100% back the coach and are absolutely going to remain loyal, or are they absolutely irreplaceable?

The thing to do is not to figure out who should go. The thing to do is assume that everybody is gone, and prioritize the 20% who might stay. Sure, some culling happens his year, most in fact. But it's not going to be completely done this offseason, there will be another almost as big cull next offseason.

If we are really tanking--and I hope we do--then expect guys with high upside to get lots of game time, and older guys or guys without as high of an upside to get moved out. At this point it's almost semantics whether they're traded or cut, because if they're traded it will be at a fire-sale price. This is just the way it goes. Loyalty is a big deal, and coaches want their guys who aren't going to compare them to the previous regime. Oh yeah, and who fit their systems.

New England runs 6 and 7 DB's on defense, so Miami keeping as many of the DB's as possible is very realistic. I think it would include Howard. To me he's Miami's version of Gilmore. Let's not forget, Grier was the one who supposedly pounded his fist on the table for Howard. I think it quite possible Howard is a safe bet, getting a contract extension with Miami.

Gilmour costs New England 14+ million in 19, only 8.5 in 18!!! I say pay X unless someone wants to break the bank to get him!

No idea. But can you explain that 4 year 89 percent rule?
The idea is the league requires a team to spend an average of 89% of the cap for each four year period (I believe it is only applicable to each four year segment, as opposed to a review of the cap average every year for four years back). So we could spend only 80% for two years and then overcompensate for the next two, to get over the 89% threshold

The idea is the league requires a team to spend an average of 89% of the cap for each four year period (I believe it is only applicable to each four year segment, as opposed to a review of the cap average every year for four years back). So we could spend only 80% for two years and then overcompensate for the next two, to get over the 89% threshold

So does anyone know what year in the period we are and where we currently sit percentage wise?

I don’t feel Edelman is a a great player. He’s outstanding in this offense but compared to Brady a first ballet HOF and Gronk he’s way down the list.
I've had him as a great slot receiver..better than Landry who gets paid twice as much, relentless player, doesn't drop the ball..uncoverable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom