How Did Howard's Season Rank Among Miami's All-time Secondary Play?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SF Dolphin Fan, Feb 2, 2019.

1. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

Lost a bit in Miami's 7-9 season and the way the team ended the season, was the amazing play of X. Howard.

In today's game to get seven interceptions is pretty amazing. Quarterback interceptions are down due, in a large way, to the changes in the rules of play.

When you factor in how teams attacked the Dolphins, that number looks even better. Teams had so much success running the ball against Miami, add in a pass rush that was pretty anemic with 31 sacks., and not often needing to challenge down the field, all those factors support Howard's outstanding season.

How does he's season rate among Miami's all-time secondary play? Dick Anderson comes to mind at safety, Sam Madison and Patrick Surtain as well.

Digital likes this.
  2. royalshank

royalshank Not a Game-Changer Finheaven VIP Donator

He missed the last 4 games and that hurt us. He may have had 9 or 10 picks too. But he’s definitely becoming a dominating player.

SF Dolphin Fan likes this.
  3. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

It was unfortunate Howard missed 4 games, because he was putting together one hell of a season. Who knows how many interceptions he may of had, if he finished the season. He made some fantastic plays and showed the NFL he belonged in the Pro Bowl. I'm hoping Miami doesn't mess with him and signs him to an extension? He deserves it. With Flores coming in as HC, Howard should become an intricate part of the plan, moving forward. To run the defensive system the Patriots run, Miami is going to need more DB's to run that system. Can't see them doing that without Howard.

Digital and SF Dolphin Fan like this.
  4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Madison had one year where he was the best corner in football.

But xs 2018 season is second at least that I’ve seen.

Surtains career longevity at a quality clip was better than any one individual year.

I cant speak for anything really before 1990

5. superphin

superphin don't go clown shoes on us Finheaven VIP

I think his season ranks in the top 10 but outside top 5. Sam and Pat certainly had a few seasons of their own that were superior in the late 90's and early 2000's. Throw in Troy Vincent and given the fact that Howard only played 12 games. Also Sam and Pat played in some of the most vanilla defensive schemes in the NFL. Straight man to man with little or no variation, can your guys beat my guys straight up.

6. The Ghost

The Ghost Stamos Donator

His int’s are EARNED, certainly not gimme picks.

It’s possible he doesn’t snag 7 ints in a season again though. He’s the scariest kind of corner, blanket ability with ball skills.

Best draft pick made by the Dolphins this millennium.

7. outlawd2u

outlawd2u Pro Bowler Finheaven VIP

It was a great defensive scheme for the players they had.

Digital likes this.
  8. TruePoizon

TruePoizon A True Fan

A top corner should do well against a top WR.

Hehe....Howard got torched by Hopkins.

9. Danny

Danny Finheaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I'd say at the same time in their careers, Vincent,Surtain and Madison were ahead of him. Also, I believe Grimes had a great year for us tho I can't remember which year it was. Not trying to put him down as I think the fact he was hurt his rookie year held him back a bit. Now this year he missed another 4 games so it starts to become a pattern with him. He's the best corner we've had in a while tho.

I'll add this. Surtain and Madison had a very good front 7 in front of them and a good pass rush with Taylor, Trace Armstrong and Ogunyule(SP?) while Howard has no pass rush to help him out.

Digital, opticblazed and superphin like this.
  10. Teenwolf

Teenwolf You are an animal

Vincent over this season by X?? Which season?

illscriptures likes this.
  11. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

I think those are the correct names. Dick Anderson is the best defensive back in franchise history, IMO. He was great from his rookie year forth, until the devastating knee injury in the Pro Bowl. That injury essentially ended Anderson's career and prevented any Hall of Fame consideration.

Likewise with Bill Stanfill, who got injured in an exhibition game and was never the same.

They were the two best defenders during the Super Bowl years of 1972 and 1973, IMO. Both at absolute peak. From the Orange Bowl stands I would watch the two of them at every defensive snap. The other defender I liked to watch was cornerback Curtis Johnson, because he was awesome at immediately cutting the receiver's legs at the line of scrimmage and eliminating him from the route. Then the Dolphins basically caused a rules change by doing that all game against the Bengals in the 1973 playoffs, leading to the so-called Isaac Curtis Rule.

I think Anderson got some Defensive Player of the Year awards in 1973, largely based on the terrific game he had against the Steelers on Monday Night. Two interceptions returned for touchdowns and nearly a third. So that probably qualifies as best season ever by a Dolphins defensive back.

Early in Anderson's career the opposing team simply threw his way too often. Lots of picks. In my family we often talked in amazement at how frequently the opposing quarterback would challenge Anderson and get burned.

12. McMichael

McMichael Seasoned Veteran

I really think people need to slow down a little on Howard's "amazing miraculous season"...For one thing I think one of the reasons he got so many INTs was that he gambles a lot, thus resulting in the high TDs allowed number as well.

He also missed 4 games. However he played well at the end of 2017 as well so he has something like 16 quality starts in a row. One year.... Would like to see him do it for one more season before I really commit to paying him #1 corner in football money.

Lastly for what its worth PFF has him barely making the top 20 CBs in the NFL...they ranked him as the 20th overall CB in 2018.

laxcoach and CoryMatthews like this.
  13. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Please football gods, grace us Tua or Trevor Finheaven VIP

He had a great season. I'll take a ballhawk every sunday with no questions asked.

14. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Please football gods, grace us Tua or Trevor Finheaven VIP

He didn't give up a high amount of touchdowns.

PFF also sucks at DB rankings.

15. NBP81

NBP81 Yippi ka yay mother******! Finheaven VIP Donator