How Did Howard's Season Rank Among Miami's All-time Secondary Play? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Did Howard's Season Rank Among Miami's All-time Secondary Play?

Before my time but 1967 we had Dick Westmoreland and his 10 picks in 14 games. That’s got to be up there, no? Agree w Awsi that Dick Anderson was the best corner we ever had. Vincent’s 1994 season was terrific too. Very underrated Don McNeal’s 1980 rookie year was excellent as was his 1982 4 picks in 9 games and a key part of that D that carried us to the SB. Madison and Surtain were fantastic. X has a closing gear that not many have - I think when the final book on his career is written he’ll go down as top 3 in club history with a shot at no 1.

I did not think he would be this good coming out..good yes, but he’s been really good.

Before my time but 1967 we had Dick Westmoreland and his 10 picks in 14 games. That’s got to be up there, no? Agree w Awsi that Dick Anderson was the best corner we ever had. Vincent’s 1994 season was terrific too. Very underrated Don McNeal’s 1980 rookie year was excellent as was his 1982 4 picks in 9 games and a key part of that D that carried us to the SB. Madison and Surtain were fantastic. X has a closing gear that not many have - I think when the final book on his career is written he’ll go down as top 3 in club history with a shot at no 1.

Think you need to pump the brakes a bit... he’s had one stellar year that’s for sure, but he is injury prone so far, and has had some difficulty with some receivers such as Hopkins... personally I’d trade him if you could get ideally a low 1 or high 2....

Think you need to pump the brakes a bit... he’s had one stellar year that’s for sure, but he is injury prone so far, and has had some difficulty with some receivers such as Hopkins... personally I’d trade him if you could get ideally a low 1 or high 2....

Hopkins makes everyone look stupid. He's the best WR in the NFL.

Howard is one of the few that can shadow him step for step, Rtamsey is an elite corner and he got roasted by Hopkins too.

You would trade him for a no 1? So a proven no 1 for an unproven no 1? How many no 1’s let alone 2’s turn out like Howard? You have a sure thing w him. No way I’m trading that.

When matched directly against Hopkins, X was targeted 4 times allowed 3 receptions for 23 yds and 1 TD. I wouldn't really say Hopkins torched him.
I also wouldn't say Howard stopped him.

He has become a very good cover corner. He hasn't done it for a long enough period to warrant a top 3 type contract IMO. Maybe he will. Maybe he won't. He also has missed his share of games.

I can see both sides of the argument, given the overall picture.

As for PFF grades? Questionable at best. The team management has much greater insight as to what he, and his agent are looking for.

I'm certainly not in the "sign him at any cost" camp.

I also wouldn't say Howard stopped him.

He has become a very good cover corner. He hasn't done it for a long enough period to warrant a top 3 type contract IMO. Maybe he will. Maybe he won't. He also has missed his share of games.

I can see both sides of the argument, given the overall picture.

As for PFF grades? Questionable at best. The team management has much greater insight as to what he, and his agent are looking for.

I'm certainly not in the "sign him at any cost" camp.

I 100% agree, you have to have more than 1.5 years of good play to get paid like the best CB in the NFL. Depending how things workout it may be smarter to franchise him and go from there.

PFF has Howard at #16 DB he allows 16.2 yard per catch and 7 interceptions - a boom or bust type of corner.

FYI Steven Nelson from the Chiefs is the No Free Agent corner per PFF. I wonder what number his contract will be.

If Howard is Khalil Mack'ed for the sake of tanking, we should simply donate our first three picks to a needy team because we obviously wont be in the business of drafting good players to keep for a 2nd contract.

He had a couple gimme picks for sure, but I just watched a clip of all his picks from '18 and he made some damn nice plays. He's missed a lot of games since he's been drafted, but he can play the position.

I think his season ranks in the top 10 but outside top 5. Sam and Pat certainly had a few seasons of their own that were superior in the late 90's and early 2000's. Throw in Troy Vincent and given the fact that Howard only played 12 games. Also Sam and Pat played in some of the most vanilla defensive schemes in the NFL. Straight man to man with little or no variation, can your guys beat my guys straight up.
Terrell Buckley was also pretty damn good as was Brock Marion. We’ve definitely been greatful to have a long list of quality defensive backs

A top corner should do well against a top WR.

Hehe....Howard got torched by Hopkins.

I would say, sadly, this was the only time I questioned Howard top DB rating. I get that Hopkins is a phenom but it wasn't close. He absolutely destroyed Howard!

I get that sometimes the other guy gets the best of you but it's shouldn't look like you're the teams 3rd string DB.

Personally, If i were management I would put on THAT tape and say, "How can you expect us to pay you like the best NFL DB with this type of performance against one of the leagues best?"

IMO, The ability to completely shut down or slow down the top receivers in the league is the mark of a dominant DB.

Cooks and The Raider's Cooper doesn't count.

Last edited:
I would say, sadly, this was the only time I questioned Howard top DB rating. I get that Hopkins is a phenom but it wasn't close. He absolutely destroyed Howard!

I get that sometimes the other guy gets the best of you but it's shouldn't look like you're the teams 3rd string DB.

Personally, If i were management I would put on THAT tape and say, "How can you expect us to pay you like the best NFL DB with this type of performance against one of the leagues best?"

IMO, The ability to completely shut down or slow down the top receivers in the league is the mark of a dominant DB.

Cooks and The Raider's Cooper doesn't count.

With the rules today nobody is locking up a WR with the talent of Hopkins, its just not feasible anymore.

With the rules today nobody is locking up a WR with the talent of Hopkins, its just not feasible anymore.

Agreed to a point! What I saw wasn't about the rules. It was about one guy just being a lot more skilled than the other.

Hopkins setup, short burst, pin-point change of direction along with that tremendous catch radius was devasting to the young Howard.

He played like the predator and Howard was his Lamb. The snack that dared and paid for its insolence!

Back
Top Bottom