-------- How did Jake Long look??? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

-------- How did Jake Long look???

had a holding penalty and 2 false starts.

nah he didn't have any false starts . . . he had a tripping penalty which was correct but happens alot and usually is not called . . . . and he had a holding penalty where they crossed him up and he got confused.

He didn't let a sack go by . . . in fact, considering the Jets have the likes of Pace and Gholston . . . he did DAMN good in pass pro . . . got backed up sometimes but didn't let anybody by . . . I was impressed.

The whole unit struggled in the run game . . .and that is gonna happen when u have 2 rookies and a 2nd year center, plus everybody playing new positions on the line except the 2nd year center. They still need to gel, and the Jets definitely have the type of defense to make a line like this struggle. I'm soooo glad that this game happened first . . . because I expect a MUCH better performance in that week 17 match against the Jets.

I think he looked shaky out there....definitely not as good as advertised or expected for the #1 overall pick that hasn't missed a day of camp...

I'll always maintain that we should have drafted Matt Ryan instead...

Hey CK and Vaalk....you still think it's funny that I said Matt Ryan would've beaten out John Beck in 10 minutes?

You know...the John Beck that was inactive while Matt Ryan was throwing 62 yard touchdown passes?
clear.gif

LMAO!

You're right. So far he's looking almost as impressive as Ryan Leaf did after his pre season and first 2pro games (Thanks for taking the time out from your obsessive Ice Adoration on the Atlanta board to honor us here with your insightful thoughts).

IMO, Jake could have done better (or else he wouldn't have held).. but was and remains the right choice for the Fins to make.

... and who knows just how brightly a Big 10 successful QB like Henne might have lit up the Lions as compared to one spawned by what's now being starkly revealed as a less competitive ACC.
... or perhaps might have looked yesterday versus the Jets, if like Atlanta, we lacked the luxury of starting a more competent QB.

9kpa2u-1.jpg

He did well....people forget they blitzed from his side alot he can only take on one person at a time so if any pressure came from that side it probably wasn't Jake's fault. We ran well on his side we just had to abandon it early because we got down by 13 but look at the 3 drives in the 4th. He made adjustment and gave Penny plenty of time to throw we only socred on one drive but that wasnt Jake's fault

I'm with these guys:

Man, he's going to be a hell of a player," Jets linebacker Calvin Pace said of Jake Long.
"He's just your prototypical left tackle," Pace said. "It's very rare that you get a rookie who comes in and dominates. [Cleveland's] Joe Thomas had a good year last year, but you can credit that to him having a lot of people around him to make his job easier. [Long]'s got all the tools."

"He kind of reminds me of Jumbo Elliott," said Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis, who also spoke highly of Dolphins rookie guard Donald Thomas. "Once he really figures it out, he's going to be really good."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-skol0907a,0,7579524.column

You'll never find a funnier section of the internet then here when the unwarranted superiority complex of the "gurus" on this site is completely shot down. It happens a lot, by the way.

Anyway, Long looked exactly as I advertised him coming out of school. A great run blocker who doesn't have the speed to handle the DEs of the NFL. He's basically L.J. Shelton 2.0.

nah he didn't have any false starts . . . he had a tripping penalty which was correct but happens alot and usually is not called . . . . and he had a holding penalty where they crossed him up and he got confused.

He didn't let a sack go by . . . in fact, considering the Jets have the likes of Pace and Gholston . . . he did DAMN good in pass pro . . . got backed up sometimes but didn't let anybody by . . . I was impressed.

The whole unit struggled in the run game . . .and that is gonna happen when u have 2 rookies and a 2nd year center, plus everybody playing new positions on the line except the 2nd year center. They still need to gel, and the Jets definitely have the type of defense to make a line like this struggle. I'm soooo glad that this game happened first . . . because I expect a MUCH better performance in that week 17 match against the Jets.

That tripping call was BS. Longs leg was planted...he never raised it or moved it...the defender ran over it and tripped himself.

That tripping call was BS. Longs leg was planted...he never raised it or moved it...the defender ran over it and tripped himself.

Not sure which play you watched, but it was clearly a trip as his right leg moved back towards the inside. I thought he played ok. He has some work to do as all rookies do. It seems like some Falcons fans on this board were expecting Jake Long to get some reps at QB ?

Not sure which play you watched, but it was clearly a trip as his right leg moved back towards the inside. I thought he played ok. He has some work to do as all rookies do. It seems like some Falcons fans on this board were expecting Jake Long to get some reps at QB ?

His right leg was planted...right out of the snap...he didn't move his leg after that...the defender went inside and tripped over his planted leg.
If thats tripping...then you can call tripping on almost every play...because players trip over legs every play in a game. To me tripping is when you on purpose stick your leg out to trip a defender.

I wouldn't. I think anytime you can run the ball for over 100 yards, your OL is certainly doing something right. Ours did nothing....

IN TUNA WE TRUST....

You should add this factor in...the Jets ran 31 times...the Dolphins 16.

People are looking to target Jake Long because of deficiencies from Justin Smiley. Now I'm not saying Smiley directly influenced Long's performance..but You saw a large amount of pressure coming in between the two and between Satele and Smiley.

But yea the whole O-Line needs to get their @$$ kicked this week for that kind of performance.

Which come to think of it...may have been influenced by Pennington and the receivers as the Jets decided not to honor getting beat by Ginn and Company, so they just stacked and blitzed...

Vicious Circle *sigh*

His right leg was planted...right out of the snap...he didn't move his leg after that...the defender went inside and tripped over his planted leg.
If thats tripping...then you can call tripping on almost every play...because players trip over legs every play in a game. To me tripping is when you on purpose stick your leg out to trip a defender.
you weren't watching the right replay. Long shot his leg out there and intentionally tripped the defender. the commentators were laughing at how obvious it was.

but other than that, he did pretty well for a rookie LT in his first career game against a solid defense.

Back
Top Bottom