how do new FA deals for other players impact Landry and Jones | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

how do new FA deals for other players impact Landry and Jones

matt11390

Starter
Reaction score
We all know about Antonio Brown's new deal. He is a different kind of receiver than Landry. Now, Eric Berry is finalizing a 6 year 78 million dollar deal. Jones isn't Berry but he's really good ... top 5 in my book. Now that some of these top players are being signed how do you think it will impact the numbers for Landry and Jones? More importantly do you think these players new contracts will get the ball rolling with Miami to get Landry and Jones extended before free agency?

I think they're gonna get paid. Especially Landry.

I was against extending Jones after just doing it a few years ago and with him already being compensated accordingly - but after seeing Berry's contract - yeesh. :idk:

Berry just got a 4 Year / $78 / $40 guaranteed $20 sign on.

Jones will want to get paid.

Trade Jones while you can for draft picks
depending upon what you can get for him
At least test the waters
We cant pay everyone top dollar at their positions

Jones would command a ton and it is deserved. I would hate to see him go though although the compensation we could receive is intriguing.

Berry got 6 years/$78mil... Yikes, that means Jones will want at least $11-12mil per. Make him a contract extension now at 4 years $40mil which he will absolutely turn down and then seriously consider trading him for a 2nd+4th round picks once he does.

I get that most people are going to think it's ludicrous to trade a top 5 safety but he is NOT Berry's level and it could potentially crush us to give him a contract to that extent when we've proven we can win without him. As we have seen year in and year out with the Patriots and just this past year from our very own Dolphins, COACHING and SCHEMING are more important than personnel. If Gase is what we think/hope he is, we can win without Jones (again).

Honestly, I might view this differently if we didn't have a stupid amount of money tied into Suh... but we do. Depth and coaching are the most important aspects of a winning football team.

Trading Jones is intriguing for sure. However the flip side is how would trading him impact the other players. Miami is trying to build a new culture. One specific aspect of the new culture is take care of their own. Jones was drafted by Miami. To trade him might just destroy what they are building. I get the worry of the money. Jones wants and will get a lot of it. Between Landry and Jones alone Miami may shell out a combined $25 million per season. Add that to Suh that is a ton of cash for 3 players. All of a sudden the FO is faced with some difficult decisions.

Trading Jones is intriguing for sure. However the flip side is how would trading him impact the other players. Miami is trying to build a new culture. One specific aspect of the new culture is take care of their own. Jones was drafted by Miami. To trade him might just destroy what they are building. I get the worry of the money. Jones wants and will get a lot of it. Between Landry and Jones alone Miami may shell out a combined $25 million per season. Add that to Suh that is a ton of cash for 3 players. All of a sudden the FO is faced with some difficult decisions.

You make him a very fair contract extension and make it public knowledge... 4 years/$40mil doesn't sound bad?

I wouldn't give Jones more then 10 per. Landry might warrant 12-13 per

Jones will want just as much even though Berry is better. Jones will get around 10-11 probably. Landry is hard to judge but at least Brown has set the bar. What does Julio make? Landry isn't in their league but he views himself in that light so he will want paid like a top 5 receiver probably

I think you try to trade Jones and sign Landry. I'd love to keep Jones and he is a great player, but he is coming off an injury and the defense still did enough plays to help the team make the playoffs without him. I think if Landry went down it would be a bigger hit for the offense than what happened to D once Jones went down.

You make him a very fair contract extension and make it public knowledge... 4 years/$40mil doesn't sound bad?

I don't think it sounds bad. The bigger issue is the cumulative effect of Jones' contract with Landry's and Suh's and Thomas' and Pouncey's. Is Miami's cap managable paying big money to these players and also signing a good FA guard as well as projecting who on the roster is next in line to get paid?

Jones will want just as much even though Berry is better. Jones will get around 10-11 probably. Landry is hard to judge but at least Brown has set the bar. What does Julio make? Landry isn't in their league but he views himself in that light so he will want paid like a top 5 receiver probably

Julio makes 14 per. Brown has 17 per

As salaries keep rising and players are getting over paid it will be critical for FO's to have a vision and philosophy of how to build a roster. Let's hope and pray Miami's FO has a plan.

---------- Post added at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

Julio makes 14 per. Brown has 17 per

Anyone know who the highest paid slot receiver is?

Back
Top Bottom