How do we improve the most for next season? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How do we improve the most for next season?

3rdandinches

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Every pro and so called expert always talks about the biggest improvement for a team is the developement of young starting QB's, (pretty obvious I know).

So why are alot of us trying to improve the defense first and then worry about the offense 2nd. Wouldn't that possibly shake Henne's confidence if he continues to have the same talent around him. Bess will get alittle better, Hartline has the best chance to really step up, Brown is so unreliable to finish the year but the talent is there, Fasano is the mystery player. So overall the talent needs to get much better and that has to be by adding players not just counting on the ones we have. I don't think we can only rely on the run game to be Henne's security blanket.

Believe me I'm a defense all the way kind of guy, but this really concerns me. The last thing we need is to not allow Henne to succeed and then not know if he's the guy or not, that would take us two steps back.

We could easily use FA to fix most of the glaring holes on defense, K.Dansby and either A.Rolle (if he gets cut) or R.Clark would make two great singings. We could also (I believe) trade G.Wilson who doesn't fit for us to KC for D.Johnson who doesn't seem to fit for them. Both teams get value for players they no longer want, that seems to work for me. If anyone of the real good NT's some how hit FA then they become a big time priority.

Back to the offense.... we need to make that trade for A.Boldin work hopefully for no more then a 3rd and 6th. Boldin gives Henne a tough true #1 that he can depend on in clutch situations. Now with our 1st pick we then take Dez Bryant, he comes in with no pressure to perform right away but in a couple years take over as the number 1 receiver. Now the WR core becomes a strength, even allows us to trade a T.Ginn or G.Cam for a pick top make up for one of the ones we traded away. Yes this means Dez has to be there but there are also other options like CJ. Spiller who becomes a threat to score every time he touches the ball.

Of course TE should be looked at aswell, I personally would love to swing a deal for T.Scheffler. He's another player on the outs in Denver (who isn't ???) that could be had cheap I believe. I doubt the FO wants to give up anymore draft picks though making this a tough one to do.

Then with the second we need to go after the best NT or OLB that's available. Taking into account who you could get later in the draft of course and we can always re-sign J.Ferguson for 1 more year. I would have to give J.Gresham and A.Hernandez serious consideration in the 2nd though.

So we give Henne Boldin, D.Bryant, B.Hartline, D.Bess, T.Ginn, G.Cam, A.Fasano, R.Brown and R.Williams to succeed.

Take in account one thing most people don't seem to reconize on defense (atleast for their offseason ideas) is that M.Nolan makes us 100% better without adding a single player. So we're not leaving the defense out to dry, it's just not getting all the attention.

So what do you guys think?

1. We get a CB and FS who can tackle. (Reshad Jones, Nate Allen, Perrish Cox)
2. We get ILBs who can tackle. (McClain, Washington, Foote, Dansby)
3. We get Wake in the game all of the time.
4. We get a #1 WR. (Bryant, Bebe Thomas, Boldin)

And then we draft for depth and development.

I like it, but I think we should pass on Dez Bryant and make that pick Brandon Graham.
OLB is a spot we NEED to fix this offseason with J.porter on the way out. B.Graham would be perfect as he can rush the passer AND stop the run. Of course this is if we actually bring Boldin in.

I also like your idea of grabbing a NT in the 2nd. Im very high on Cam Thomas and believe his stock dropped because of a lack of tackles, but he has that big body you want for a NT (6'3 330) and is quick off the ball. But I would not be upset with picking up a diffrent NT prospect.

Free Safety is going to be a huge area of concern though, I do believe we cut G.Wilson while we have the chance but im not sure what we do to upgrade with lack of FS talent in FA. Rolle is the only one of intrest and he might go back to Arizona. I could see us taking a FS in the 3rd/4th round and him competing with Clemons. Most people dont like that idea ( a rookie and a 2 year player as our FS's?!?!) but if the FO has faith that Clemons could do as much as G.Wilson did last year I think this may end up being the case.

We may bring in a TE or they will let that side another year as Fasano is still a decent TE and Haynos may continue to develop. I love the T.Scheffler idea though and would be completely for it.

1. We get a CB and FS who can tackle. (Reshad Jones, Nate Allen, Perrish Cox)
2. We get ILBs who can tackle. (McClain, Washington, Foote, Dansby)
3. We get Wake in the game all of the time.
4. We get a #1 WR. (Bryant, Bebe Thomas, Boldin)

And then we draft for depth and development.

CB is our last problem, you think every team in football have two CB's that can cover and bring the wood? Having W.Allen, J.Allen and re-signing N.Jones is more then enough depth there.

Wake can only get in the game all of the time if he can actually do the whole job not just half of it. I hope he has developed enough to do so but let's not jump the gun on him.

See this is still my point, people think the defense is everything to our success and I believe it is for winning Superbowls but to get there I really think Henne needs alot more help then one wr now not later.

I like it, but I think we should pass on Dez Bryant and make that pick Brandon Graham.
OLB is a spot we NEED to fix this offseason with J.porter on the way out. B.Graham would be perfect as he can rush the passer AND stop the run. Of course this is if we actually bring Boldin in.

I also like your idea of grabbing a NT in the 2nd. Im very high on Cam Thomas and believe his stock dropped because of a lack of tackles, but he has that big body you want for a NT (6'3 330) and is quick off the ball. But I would not be upset with picking up a diffrent NT prospect.

Free Safety is going to be a huge area of concern though, I do believe we cut G.Wilson while we have the chance but im not sure what we do to upgrade with lack of FS talent in FA. Rolle is the only one of intrest and he might go back to Arizona. I could see us taking a FS in the 3rd/4th round and him competing with Clemons. Most people dont like that idea ( a rookie and a 2 year player as our FS's?!?!) but if the FO has faith that Clemons could do as much as G.Wilson did last year I think this may end up being the case.

We may bring in a TE or they will let that side another year as Fasano is still a decent TE and Haynos may continue to develop. I love the T.Scheffler idea though and would be completely for it.

So again you think the defense needs to be addressed more then securing talent around Henne right now. I certainly agree the defense needs to be addressed but I'm still wondering if we need to take care of Henne first to ensure long term success. Or else next offseason we will be going on and on about needing more offensive fire power and we could be questioning Henne if he doesn't take a major step forward. And for Henne to take that step he needs alot of help that is not on the team right now.

I believe it is for winning Superbowls but to get there I really think Henne needs alot more help then one wr now not later.

I agree, the FO needs to get Henne the #1 receiver. I also think that the Line could improve at guard to protect Henne a little better. As far as RB, while it would be great to have CJ or AP I think we are fine with R&R for next year, but should take a RB in the sixth if a guy like Stephon Johnson or Blount is there. AS far as TE, I think we should give Fasano another shot. Of course if Jimmy Graham is there in the fourth I would find it hard to pass with him being 6-6, 260, with 34 spans and 11" hands.

I disagree on corners. I like Vontae and Allen. I also like Jones at nickel. I do not like Smith and Wilson. Neither can tackle imo and that's not the kind of player I want on my D. Both get thumbs down from me.

OLB is not a pressing need imo, but with Graham, Griffin, Kindle, Hughes, Worilds, etc on the boards it is hard to resist. If the draft gives you goodies then you just might have to take it.

Because the biggest difference from 2008 and 2009 was how poor the Defense played. Besides injury, of course. The offense in 2008 had about the same talent as 2009, if not more in 2009. The defense needs to step up, big time. And with taylor aging, porter gone, our FS not being able to cover, our NT aging and may not be there...defense should be the #1 priority. Of course getting a true #1WR for henne is a must as well, but there are a lot more needs on defense.

So again you think the defense needs to be addressed more then securing talent around Henne right now. I certainly agree the defense needs to be addressed but I'm still wondering if we need to take care of Henne first to ensure long term success. Or else next offseason we will be going on and on about needing more offensive fire power and we could be questioning Henne if he doesn't take a major step forward. And for Henne to take that step he needs alot of help that is not on the team right now.

Yeah I agree we need offensive firepower but looking at games we lost to some of the better teams(NO,IND) we need to eliminate the big play.

Like I said the only thing I disagree on is Bryant if we get Boldin, just because our starting OLB rotation would not be pretty and if we cant get the pressure on the QB it wont matter how many TD's we score if the other team can score just as many and more.

Wake can only get in the game all of the time if he can actually do the whole job not just half of it. I hope he has developed enough to do so but let's not jump the gun on him.

Well Dummerville was/is strictly a 1 trick pony in Denver, and hell for that matter so was Porter here. If Wake can get after the QB on a consistent basis like he was doing last season he plays a LOT this season even if that's all he shows he's good at.

As for the OP I think it's mostly just fans who are saying or thinking this. Didn't Parcells or Tony say WR was a need? I don't think these guys are going to ignore the offense by any means.

i just want someone who can cover a tight end thats all

Well Dummerville was/is strictly a 1 trick pony in Denver, and hell for that matter so was Porter here. If Wake can get after the QB on a consistent basis like he was doing last season he plays a LOT this season even if that's all he shows he's good at.

As for the OP I think it's mostly just fans who are saying or thinking this. Didn't Parcells or Tony say WR was a need? I don't think these guys are going to ignore the offense by any means.

And a big part of their collapse was that they neutralized him by running at him. There's more to OLB then just rushing the passer, only sacks gets all the attention. I do think Wake is an excellent pass rusher but if he can't defend the run then teams will just run right at him all game long.

Then what you bring a safety up in the box to help and then boom, playaction TD!

Wake needs to be used to his potential not used expecting him to do something he can't. Now I really hope this offseason he makes a big leap forward to earning that starting spot but I not willing to force it.

Cut Wilson, Torbor, Ayodele, and Porter (again) would be good for starters. Get someone who can play FS, address the NT and ILB positions, and bring in a guy like Antonio Bryant to help out in the WR position.

it's probably an unpopular answer, but development of our young players IMO.
WHAT?!?!!??! You're telling me you want to develop our young players like every other elite team does!!!! That's arguably the dumbest ****ing thing I've heard yet.... Don't you know the way to build a franchise is giving away all your draft picks, preferably to over the hill, injury prone players, and signing every single FA available?? So clueless.

Back
Top Bottom