How Do You Improve Execution? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Do You Improve Execution?

fWIW...I went to four training camp practices..

I wrote a bunch of notes, to summarize 3 of the practices they did no conditioning, no sprints on the field..

Also, what was weird is that Gase doesn’t not put himself in the action, he completely allows his position coaches to run the practice..he was always off to the side, and many folks every day would try to find out where he was..

Not sure how to interpret, I know coaches have different styles, but I thought the practices were easy from a conditioning standpoint, and he was complete hands off as far as being in the action..

That’s ridiculous! No conditioning, wtf are they thinking. I bet that they rarely hit too. No conditioning and hitting would explain players getting injured more often .

That’s ridiculous! No conditioning, wtf are they thinking. I bet that they rarely hit too. No conditioning and hitting would explain players getting injured more often .

His style when opening practice is some position drills, then 7 on 7’s then scrimmage..however, unlike some coaches who will have the backups be scrimmaging as well, or doing other things, all players who are not participating in the scrimmage are just on the sideline watching the ones who are.

His style when opening practice is some position drills, then 7 on 7’s then scrimmage..however, unlike some coaches who will have the backups be scrimmaging as well, or doing other things, all players who are not participating in the scrimmage are just on the sideline watching the ones who are.
Is this for real? That would explain why Sam Young was totally unprepared last week for game action.

That was a great one too....there was also:

"If you have everyone back from a team that lost 10 games, experience isn't too important."

On place kicker Pete Rajecki having a bad camp with the Bucs because McKay made him nervous: "I don't think he's got much of a future here, because I plan on going to all the games.''

And....one that would definitely get him fired & ostracized in today's PC NFL/snowflake world:

"On Tampa Bay ending its 26-game losing streak: "Three or four plane crashes and we're in the playoffs."
He was such a character! What gets lost in Tampa’s early history is he had them in the NFC title game in 1979 (lost 9-0 to Rams) just 4 seasons in - no FA back then. They had some excellent players on that team - Lee Roy Selmon, Ricky Bell, Dewey Selmon, etc. We all remember the 26 game losing streak but we forget they built a good team in a short time. The kicker quote is fantastic!

If you are trying to execute and it isn't working, there are three things that could be the problem?
1. The executioners don't know how to do it right. They need better training and teaching on how to use their weapons
2. The executioners just aren't good at their job. They know how to do it, but they can't.
3. The form of execution isn't any good. You're trying to use a butter knife to slice a man's throat.
Now, all of them point to a management issue.
1. Hire better trainers/coaches and get rid of the current ones
2. Whoever is picking these executioners/players stinks and they need to be replaced. Then get better executioners
3. Whoever decided to use a WR screen over and over again, whoops I mean butter knife needs to be canned as well.

If you are trying to execute and it isn't working, there are three things that could be the problem?
1. The executioners don't know how to do it right. They need better training and teaching on how to use their weapons
2. The executioners just aren't good at their job. They know how to do it, but they can't.
3. The form of execution isn't any good. You're trying to use a butter knife to slice a man's throat.
Now, all of them point to a management issue.
1. Hire better trainers/coaches and get rid of the current ones
2. Whoever is picking these executioners/players stinks and they need to be replaced. Then get better executioners
3. Whoever decided to use a WR screen over and over again, whoops I mean butter knife needs to be canned as well.

Hahahhahshshhshsh!

Smh, I didn’t know that. I have never had a chance to watch them practice. 7 on 7 is like ****ing flag football. Gase would be an awesome powderpuff coach

Question I'd have ... if other teams, the good teams have less of this, isn't it about the coaching? They're all playing / working under the same rules. That's my biggest concern with Gase, I like a lot of what he does, but he doesn't seem to be able to correct the flaws we've seen since day 1.

You are ignoring how long it took those teams to get established as one of those "good teams". The period during their ascendency to respectability is what you should be comparing to todays Dolphins, if you want to see some meaningful comparisons. We can discus how good we are after we get consistently good.

I remember when the Steelers were one of the worst teams in the league. They were happy if they hurt you physically since that was their most significant achievement while they were losing so many games. The competition between the Steelers, the Browns and the Bengals was referred to as the "Black and Blue league" for a good reason. It took the Steelers at least 5 years to get established after they started Bradshaw. As I recall there were about two years when their QB position was very unsettled between Bradshaw and two other QB's. Then they were like the Browns have been for the last decade.

Don't take too shortsighted a view on the development of the Dolphins or you will miss it. Then you are really bound to get discouraged.

i dont think you will ever execute if you cant pass block and run block...it starts there.

I think the issue started when Philbin wanted to get finesse blockers for his zone blocking scheme. He got soft and weak players, physically and mentally. Gases lineman are of that same mold.

Gase also does the offense no favors with his playcalling. Its past due for him to hand the reins over to someone else. His playcalling is mind boggling. No other team in the league throws the ball at or behind the line of scrimmage like we do. It seems like its so difficult for our players to get a first down while i watch other teams got guys running wide open with nobody within 10 feet of them.

Is this for real? That would explain why Sam Young was totally unprepared last week for game action.
100 percent fact for the four practices..now they may be doing their conditioning before practice or individually but the layout of practice in the field goes down like I said and he’s not on the playing field during scrimmaging or 7 on7’s

Maybe that week he was allowing his coaches to take over, it was just bizarre to more than me

You know what John McKay would say to your question had he been coaching this team.
"If you have everyone back from a team that lost 10 games, experience isn't too important."

On the importance of an older quarterback's mobility: "As a person gets older he doesn't get faster. Our quarterback will run from fright or lack of protection."

I think the issue started when Philbin wanted to get finesse blockers for his zone blocking scheme. He got soft and weak players, physically and mentally. Gases lineman are of that same mold.

I agree. The offense under both Philbin and Gase has been extremely weak and easily dominated by physical defenses. I believe it's due to their similar offensive philosophies. Actually, Jimmy Johnson was on the right track but failed at the QB position. Johnson believed in building tough, physical lines on both sides of the ball, and adding a strong defense and running game. However, he didn't place enough emphasis on the QB position. Ross needs to clean house, because the current regime will never change their style of football and look to build a tough, physically dominating team. That, plus an above-average QB would turn them into winners.

You are ignoring how long it took those teams to get established as one of those "good teams". The period during their ascendency to respectability is what you should be comparing to todays Dolphins, if you want to see some meaningful comparisons. We can discus how good we are after we get consistently good.

I remember when the Steelers were one of the worst teams in the league. They were happy if they hurt you physically since that was their most significant achievement while they were losing so many games. The competition between the Steelers, the Browns and the Bengals was referred to as the "Black and Blue league" for a good reason. It took the Steelers at least 5 years to get established after they started Bradshaw. As I recall there were about two years when their QB position was very unsettled between Bradshaw and two other QB's. Then they were like the Browns have been for the last decade.

Don't take too shortsighted a view on the development of the Dolphins or you will miss it. Then you are really bound to get discouraged.
I don't agree. Carroll turned around the seahawks pretty quickly, likewise pederson at Eagles, mcvay at rams etc.

I want to add to this, this is year 3. We're seeing the same issues we've seen since year 1 under Gase. It shouldn't take that long to fix fundamental issues.

penalties and slow starts have been issues since year one of gase and were still seeing the same thing...

Back
Top Bottom