How Does Breida Get More Touches? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does Breida Get More Touches?

Breida has put up over 5 ypc over the course of a season before and is averaging roughly the same as Gaskin despite the latter getting far more looks. Breida is certainly the better runner though Gaskin is better in the passing game.

There is room for both but we haven't made much room for Breida.
The 9ers run blocking is a hell of a lot better than our Fins. There is a reason Breida is averaging 3.7 ypc behind this line, and not the 5+ he averaged in San Fran. Mostert led the league in ypc for SF last year.

Gaskin is averaging 3.9 ypc. You don't think he would do better in SF's superior rush scheme?

I don't care how many ypc Breida used to average. Howard has also averaged a much higher ypc in different situations in the past. The question is about what are you doing right now for this team.

Gaskin has been our best overall RB to this point. I'm fine with Breida unseating him if he earns it. But I don't understand why Gaskin isn't getting more appreciation, even if he isn't special.

Last edited:
The 9ers run blocking is a hell of a lot better than our Fins. There is a reason Breida is averaging 3.7 ypc behind this line, and not the 5+ he averaged in San Fran. Mostert led the league in ypc for SF last year.

Gaskin is averaging 3.9 ypc. You don't think he would do better in SF's superior rush scheme?

I don't care how many ypc Breida used to average. Howard has also averaged a much higher ypc in different situations in the past. The question is about what are you doing right now for this team.

Gaskin has been our best overall RB to this point. I'm fine with Breida unseating him if he earns it. But I don't understand why Gaskin isn't getting more appreciation, even if he isn't special.

There's little appreciable difference between 3.9 YPC and 3.7 YPC.

You can't give a guy 4 carries a game, most of which are poorly blocked and versus stacked boxes, and act like that guy is getting the same chance to be successful as a guy you're giving 16 and 22 carries a game who is also doing so with pedestrian numbers.

I use Breida's past performance as testament to his skill because that's evidence of what he can produce. Sure, San Francisco is a great running team. But you don't get over 5 YPC with over 800 yards without having significant physical skill.

I understand that we need to judge players based on what they can do now, but I've seen nothing physically to suggest Breida can't produce. He's had several big gainers in the passing game (which Gaskin has as well) where he's been able to display his athleticism and simply hasn't had enough regular carries to get into a rhythm. I understand why Gaskin deserves run with the timeshare, but it needs to be more equitable with a more physically talented back. As it is, we're limiting our offensive scoring potential to whatever Ryan Fitzpatrick can provide. Fitz does a lot of good things, but that's too much to ask. I'm tired of 5 FG games because if our passing game faces stiff opposition we're living and dying with a physically limited running back who has demonstrated no ability to traverse a defense for a touchdown.

Howard does appear "done", both in terms of ability, as well as Flo's patience.

IDK if Flo's quick hook is a result of learning when to let go of a bad situation, from last season's Ballage fiasco, but I approve.

Having howard inactive does leave us without a power, short yardage back, but I'm fine with lining up with a lead back, and giving it to Gaskin, Laird, or even Brieda for the remainder of this year. Who you going to get that moves the needle at this point, without giving up picks?

Not for sure but I would be running some guys thru to try and find out. There's always a guy kinda of like Sieler on someone's PT especially at RB out there.

Since we are discussing RBs, and Howard’s complete lack of contribution...rumors are Jets would literally take anything for Bell at this point. Not entirely sure of what salary cap ramifications are, would you swap Howard for Bell at this point? Or are they both equally useless?

And btw I do like Gaskin, but like someone pointed out in another thread..it doesn’t seem to me that his ability to stay patient and wait for holes to open is that great...i personally believe our run blocking has been better than what they get credit for

There's little appreciable difference between 3.9 YPC and 3.7 YPC.

You can't give a guy 4 carries a game, most of which are poorly blocked and versus stacked boxes, and act like that guy is getting the same chance to be successful as a guy you're giving 16 and 22 carries a game who is also doing so with pedestrian numbers.

I use Breida's past performance as testament to his skill because that's evidence of what he can produce. Sure, San Francisco is a great running team. But you don't get over 5 YPC with over 800 yards without having significant physical skill.

I understand that we need to judge players based on what they can do now, but I've seen nothing physically to suggest Breida can't produce. He's had several big gainers in the passing game (which Gaskin has as well) where he's been able to display his athleticism and simply hasn't had enough regular carries to get into a rhythm. I understand why Gaskin deserves run with the timeshare, but it needs to be more equitable with a more physically talented back. As it is, we're limiting our offensive scoring potential to whatever Ryan Fitzpatrick can provide. Fitz does a lot of good things, but that's too much to ask. I'm tired of 5 FG games because if our passing game faces stiff opposition we're living and dying with a physically limited running back who has demonstrated no ability to traverse a defense for a touchdown.
Look I loved the Breida trade. The argument that he isn't getting consistent enough carries to get in rhythm is valid.

And honestly, it would take a damn good RB to be able to get much over 4 ypc with this line. I don't think that their ypc stats are fair to either of them.

I haven't come to the conclusion that Gaskin is definitely the better back. Breida's sample size is too small.

Breida should be obviously be getting more than 6.4 touches a game. If that's where you're coming from, we agree.

Last week was the the first time Howard was inactive. Breida had season highs in rushing attempts (9) and touches (10). He only averaged 4.5 carries when Howard played. I think we found the problem.

Last edited:
And btw I do like Gaskin, but like someone pointed out in another thread..it doesn’t seem to me that his ability to stay patient and wait for holes to open is that great...i personally believe our run blocking has been better than what they get credit for

I think his reading is fine. We don't have a ton of holes. I just think his athleticism is limited.

I’m good with Gaskin getting the bulk of the carries right now..His consistency for how he sees plays unfold and attacks The LOS is refreshing to me and comforting.. I know what ima gonna get and that has value..

Against weaker fronts like what were gonna face this Sunday and a little more experience by him and our oline I expect better numbers..

I’ll say he goes for a 125 on Sunday total yards..

I’m good with Gaskin getting the bulk of the carries right now..His consistency for how he sees plays unfold and attacks The LOS is refreshing to me and comforting.. I know what ima gonna get and that has value..

Against weaker fronts like what were gonna face this Sunday and a little more experience by him and our oline I expect better numbers..

I’ll say he goes for a 125 on Sunday total yards..
That would be awesome, but their D-line is no joke.

I would think we continue to see more passing, than run plays.

Who knows though, ramming it down their throats would be very satisfying, with Gase bumbling around like "WTF".......

Well... I'd take a two and Bell... for nothing, so we can eat his salary.

That would be awesome, but their D-line is no joke.

I would think we continue to see more passing, than run plays.

Who knows though, ramming it down their throats would be very satisfying, with Gase bumbling around like "WTF".......
Quinnen is playing well, Anyone else there?

Well... I'd take a two and Bell... for nothing, so we can eat his salary.
Hmmm....

IDK.

I'm not convinced he will ever be the back he was with Pittsburgh.

Seems like a guy that will mail it in, now that he got the big payday, and a second is worth eating 20+ million. At least thats how I see it.

Hmmm....

IDK.

I'm not convinced he will ever be the back he was with Pittsburgh.

Seems like a guy that will mail it in, now that he got the big payday, and a second is worth eating 20+ million. At least thats how I see it.
The guy is a wanna be rapper/running back..

He got paid so now he can fund his own album and video.

Back
Top Bottom