How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL?

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Now that the draft is over, free agency is about bargain hunting, and the schedule has been released, how do the Miami Dolphins match-up with the rest of the NFL.? I realize this is a projection post. Nobody really knows what the rookies will add. I've read stories where Phillips is projected to be in the running for DROY. That would be nice. I can't remember the last time Miami had a defensive rookie in the running for that honor.

Anyway, here is my grading scale. I'm trying to be realistic and hold back from being overly optimistic.

Bottom Five in the League F
Bottom Third in the League D
League Average C
Top Third in the League B
Top Five in the League A

I may have a few + and - grades.

Quarterback C+
The additions across the offense are bound to help Tua develop. I always viewed his ceiling as a top 10 quarterback in the NFL. Not sure he reaches that year two, but I do think he'll be top half of the league. Brissett has starting experience and was a good add to back up Tua.

Offensive Line C+
The Dolphins offensive line struggled at the end of the season as some of the rookies hit that wall. But looking at this group, it could be a top 10 unit if everything comes together. I love the addition of Eichenberg and look forward to a center battle between Skura and Deiter. Jackson is the player I'm really expecting to take a significant leap. It's a young unit, but the talent is there.

Wide Receiver/Tight End B
This is where Grier really upgraded. When he signed Fuller as a free agent, I wasn't sure Miami would go wide receiver with their first pick. Fuller and Waddle are the types of players defenses have to game plan for. The Dolphins haven't had that in a long time. I like the addition of Long in the tight end room. And I expect Parker to have perhaps his best year with less attention going his way. I might have had a higher grade here, but Parker, Fuller and Williams have all been injury prone. Gesicki and Long in double tight end formations could be difficult for defenses as well. There should be a great battle for that 6th wide receiver spot among Grant, Wilson, Foster, Perry and Hurns. I think Bowden will nail down the 5th spot.

Running Back F
I know this sounds harsh, but I'm not finding many teams with a less talented running back group. Now, I could be wrong if Doaks is better than expected. It's hard to get much from his 4-minute highlight reel, other than the fact that he looks athletic catching the ball. Gaskin might prove to be better than expected. He does everything pretty well, and is good out of the backfield. I really like the addition of Brown and expect him to help in short-yardage. It's a serviceable group that hopefully will surprise us.

Defensive Line B-
The Dolphins don't have an elite player here, although maybe Phillips can become that. Ogbah had a breakout year and should benefit with the addition of Phillips. Wilkins has improved each year and is solid. Davis was on the all-rookie team and was very productive, mostly as nose tackle. The depth on the DL is good with Seiler, Butler and maybe Strowbridge.

Linebackers C
This grade certainly could be higher. I'm cautiously optimistic about McKinney, but want to see how Flores uses him. Baker emerged last year with 7 sacks, which I believe led all linebackers. Van Ginkel should see more playing time now that Van Noy is in NE. Van Noy was one of those clutch players, though. I was glad the Dolphins brought back Roberts.

Secondary A
If everyone in the secondary stays healthy and a few young players emerge, this could be the #1 unit in the NFL. Certainly arguments could be made that X. Howard is the best corner. While Byron Jones had ups and downs, the defense took off once he got into the lineup. Rowe was very solid and impressive covering tight ends. Brandon Jones played well as a rookie. Iggy is the player here that I expect to take a huge jump, possibly winning the "starting" job in the slot. I love the Holland pickup and he'll see a lot of action.

Special Teams B
It's always hard to grade the special teams because it probably has the highest variance from one season to the next. Sanders was possibly the best kicker in the NFL last year, having IMO the best kicking season in Miami history. Will Waddle, Grant or Holland return kicks? Grant certainly figures to be a bubble player. The coverage teams were at least league average last year.

Bit harsh on the Running Backs grade but I get it. If that O-Line can improve and Fuller and Waddle can stretch the field im expecting the Running game to improve no matter who is carrying the rock. Yes I wanted a RB higher in the draft but it's time for Gaskin to show what he's got if he stay healthy. Running by committee isn't what i prefer but with improvements at other Offensive positions I'm expecting it to filter through to the running game.

Bit harsh on the Running Backs grade but I get it. If that O-Line can improve and Fuller and Waddle can stretch the field im expecting the Running game to improve no matter who is carrying the rock. Yes I wanted a RB higher in the draft but it's time for Gaskin to show what he's got if he stay healthy. Running by committee isn't what i prefer but with improvements at other Offensive positions I'm expecting it to filter through to the running game.
I thought it could be harsh, but I was having trouble coming up with five teams with a "worse" pre-season situation at RB. I think the group will be efficient and likely better than last year with improvements on the line at at wide receiver. There's not a game changer at RB, though.

There’s nothing wrong with the running back grade if an F equates to bottom 5 in the league.

As you said, if you look around it’s hard to find a couple teams with a worse group of running backs than us.

Thankfully running back is one of the least important positions in my opinion. Give me a good oline and quarterback and you can find plenty of guys who can run the ball.

The defensive line is a work in progress. I think they are below par. They don't stop the run very well. And as surprisingly well as Davis played as a NT, I don't think he's capable of sustaining his success as a rookie. This unit needs to show a hell of a lot more than they did in 2020. Butler should help, especially with having familiarity with Flores system. But that may not be enough? Defensive End is my #1 priority going into the 2022 offseason. Got to find a better option. Perhaps they surprise, but I ain't banking on it.

Potentially... I think our WR/Tight End group could be top 5 in the league. I would suggest that our Tight Ends, already are top 5.

If Waddle becomes the inside man that we envision, and Fuller takes the top off opposing defenses, Preston and DVP will be wide open a lot, as they'll be in single coverage on every down.

The defensive line is a work in progress. I think they are below par. They don't stop the run very well. And as surprisingly well as Davis played as a NT, I don't think he's capable of sustaining his success as a rookie. This unit needs to show a hell of a lot more than they did in 2020. Butler should help, especially with having familiarity with Flores system. But that may not be enough? Defensive End is my #1 priority going into the 2022 offseason. Got to find a better option. Perhaps they surprise, but I ain't banking on it.
Definitely a spot I'd look for difference makers. Not sure there is one, but maybe Phillips can become that. I think its a solid group, but I do agree it's a work in progress. I do like the depth.

Flores clearly wants a dominant secondary and he may have that. I think we'll see Miami continue to add pieces at DL and linebacker over the next several drafts. Grier/Flores have drafted Wilkins, Davis and Phillips with high draft picks. So, clearly they value the d-line but it could be better.

Potentially... I think our WR/Tight End group could be top 5 in the league. I would suggest that our Tight Ends, already are top 5.

If Waddle becomes the inside man that we envision, and Fuller takes the top off opposing defenses, Preston and DVP will be wide open a lot, as they'll be in single coverage on every down.
I could definitely see that. That is my hope.

Secondary is tbe best unit but for it to grade out as an a whatever that really means I’m gonna assume it means top shelf than byron jones and the nickel/slot corner are gonna have to take their games to another level than we saw in 2020.

and Miami can’t afford any regression from Brandon jones in year 2. Not that I see any reason there would be

Now that the draft is over, free agency is about bargain hunting, and the schedule has been released, how do the Miami Dolphins match-up with the rest of the NFL.? I realize this is a projection post. Nobody really knows what the rookies will add. I've read stories where Phillips is projected to be in the running for DROY. That would be nice. I can't remember the last time Miami had a defensive rookie in the running for that honor.

Anyway, here is my grading scale. I'm trying to be realistic and hold back from being overly optimistic.

League Average C
Top Five in the League A

Quarterback C+
The additions across the offense are bound to help Tua develop. I always viewed his ceiling as a top 10 quarterback in the NFL. Not sure he reaches that year two, but I do think he'll be top half of the league. Brissett has starting experience and was a good add to back up Tua.

Offensive Line C+
The Dolphins offensive line struggled at the end of the season as some of the rookies hit that wall. But looking at this group, it could be a top 10 unit if everything comes together. I love the addition of Eichenberg and look forward to a center battle between Skura and Deiter. Jackson is the player I'm really expecting to take a significant leap. It's a young unit, but the talent is there.

This is where Grier really upgraded. When he signed Fuller as a free agent, I wasn't sure Miami would go wide receiver with their first pick. Fuller and Waddle are the types of players defenses have to game plan for. The Dolphins haven't had that in a long time. I like the addition of Long in the tight end room. And I expect Parker to have perhaps his best year with less attention going his way. I might have had a higher grade here, but Parker, Fuller and Williams have all been injury prone. Gesicki and Long in double tight end formations could be difficult for defenses as well. There should be a great battle for that 6th wide receiver spot among Grant, Wilson, Foster, Perry and Hurns. I think Bowden will nail down the 5th spot.

Running Back F
I know this sounds harsh, but I'm not finding many teams with a less talented running back group. Now, I could be wrong if Doaks is better than expected. It's hard to get much from his 4-minute highlight reel, other than the fact that he looks athletic catching the ball. Gaskin might prove to be better than expected. He does everything pretty well, and is good out of the backfield. I really like the addition of Brown and expect him to help in short-yardage. It's a serviceable group that hopefully will surprise us.

Defensive Line B-
The Dolphins don't have an elite player here, although maybe Phillips can become that. Ogbah had a breakout year and should benefit with the addition of Phillips. Wilkins has improved each year and is solid. Davis was on the all-rookie team and was very productive, mostly as nose tackle. The depth on the DL is good with Seiler, Butler and maybe Strowbridge.

Linebackers C
This grade certainly could be higher. I'm cautiously optimistic about McKinney, but want to see how Flores uses him. Baker emerged last year with 7 sacks, which I believe led all linebackers. Van Ginkel should see more playing time now that Van Noy is in NE. Van Noy was one of those clutch players, though. I was glad the Dolphins brought back Roberts.

Secondary A
If everyone in the secondary stays healthy and a few young players emerge, this could be the #1 unit in the NFL. Certainly arguments could be made that X. Howard is the best corner. While Byron Jones had ups and downs, the defense took off once he got into the lineup. Rowe was very solid and impressive covering tight ends. Brandon Jones played well as a rookie. Iggy is the player here that I expect to take a huge jump, possibly winning the "starting" job in the slot. I love the Holland pickup and he'll see a lot of action.

Special Teams B
It's always hard to grade the special teams because it probably has the highest variance from one season to the next. Sanders was possibly the best kicker in the NFL last year, having IMO the best kicking season in Miami history. Will Waddle, Grant or Holland return kicks? Grant certainly figures to be a bubble player. The coverage teams were at least league average last year.

I'm adding a category . . . 'unknown'

QB - unknown - I can see him being a C or an A. Obviously, depends on him, OC, OL, WR
OL - unknown - I expect struggles the 1st 6-8 games. If the pass game forces teams out of the box, B
WR/TE - A/B. I know what I EXPECT from Waddle/Fuller
RB - F - Not because of talent, but you're grading system. Again, that changes if the box isn't loaded
DL - C+/B- Wilkins and Ogbah are solid at minimum. Davis should improve over his rookie yr. Phillips is unknown
LB - C- I'm least optimistic here. Baker should continue from last year. McKinney should do well, but I have questions. AVG is good, but we've not seen him as a starter (assuming he starts)
Secondary - A, but that's guarded. Who mans nickel? What of Iggy? Who are the safeties?
ST - B - Hollins, Fed, Beigel are solid guys. Sanders lifts the entire unit. Punter unknown.

This could be a better question after 8 games just to see where we rank. give the free agents and draft picks a chance to play in this system plus year 2 and year 3 players see how much progress they make. hard to tell at this point with so many young/new players.

League Average C
Top Five in the League A

Quarterback C+

Offensive Line C+

Running Back F

Defensive Line B-

Linebackers C

Secondary A

Special Teams B
It seems to me, that if your grades are accurate, we are a .500 team at best.

I don't believe that.........

Back
Top Bottom