How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL?

Why would you think the Offence isn't covered.

We have promoted two co-OC coaches from within, so they are all known quantities. This streamlines the "chain of command" where the ST coach assists the HC with a DC and two OC's. I presume one will focus on the line & QB while the other will focus on the receivers and backs once the play is ready to be sent in.

This is a sensible division of labor that should let the offense get the right players on the field with the play faster then an OC contacting a larger group of position coaches to do the same thing. I expect other teams to pick it up and use it during the next 3 years, assuming they have the coaches in place that can co-ordinate.
Hey Ray. Hope all is well.

I guess where I am at with the OCs is I'm not positive of their ability to identify, and exploit opponent's weaknesses on a week to week gameplan basis.

I'm not saying I doubt them necessarily, but to me it remains to be seen, and I think it is a critical aspect of winning football.

I don't have an issue with the structure of co-OCs. Flo strikes me as the type to clearly define responsibilities, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The most meaningful thing about the titles is that neither can be "poached" for less than a HC position.

No doubt, the runway is clear for Tua to take off and soar high. The weapons and OL have been addressed with copious resources. That's more in 2 years than we did for Tannehill during his entire stay in Miami. I'm proud of what Grier is doing to build around Tua. Now ... let's see what Tua's got under the hood, because the flag's gonna drop and we want to see him become a dominating racer in a monster truck's chassis!

Depth everywhere on offense. Speed everywhere at the skill positions. Size all over the place at Receiver/TE. This year we're gonna either see great production or a volcano of excuses. Either way there's going to be a lot of discussion, LOL.

I'll add he could end up somewhere below "great production" and still be a good QB, but yeah

No doubt, the runway is clear for Tua to take off and soar high. The weapons and OL have been addressed with copious resources. That's more in 2 years than we did for Tannehill during his entire stay in Miami. I'm proud of what Grier is doing to build around Tua. Now ... let's see what Tua's got under the hood, because the flag's gonna drop and we want to see him become a dominating racer in a monster truck's chassis!

Depth everywhere on offense. Speed everywhere at the skill positions. Size all over the place at Receiver/TE. This year we're gonna either see great production or a volcano of excuses. Either way there's going to be a lot of discussion, LOL.
Hate to even bring this up, but the Watson rumors keep persisting. I would prefer that Miami gives Tua a chance and believe he'll take that next step. But if the price tag on Watson is suddenly more reasonable, could anyone blame Grier for making a trade for a proven superstar? Say it's Tua and a #1. That's a far cry from the four first rounders that were being talked about before.

We also have seen the success of the Fuller and Watson connection, which you alluded to in another post. Again, I'm not advocating for this, but I keep seeing Watson pop up for several teams including the Dolphins.

Hate to even bring this up, but the Watson rumors keep persisting. I would prefer that Miami gives Tua a chance and believe he'll take that next step. But if the price tag on Watson is suddenly more reasonable, could anyone blame Grier for making a trade for a proven superstar? Say it's Tua and a #1. That's a far cry from the four first rounders that were being talked about before.

We also have seen the success of the Fuller and Watson connection, which you alluded to in another post. Again, I'm not advocating for this, but I keep seeing Watson pop up for several teams including the Dolphins.
No need to pick a side. Watson clearly has the higher upside and productivity. More of a risk/reward guy at this point because of the baggage. Until he has those cases settled and can move on, the Texans aren't going to get value for him so they will not be trading him. Once that's done, it should move quickly, and I'm sure Grier already has his offer and contingencies lined up. Just a matter of getting the go ahead from Ross and winning the bidding war. Those things are by no means guaranteed.

Until then, we move along with the plan. Tua is the future, so we see what he's got.

But if the Watson saga drifts into the 2022 offseason, then we'll re-assess Tua based on his 2021 performances. That's how GM's do every position. By then we'll have a handle on how last year's rookie class and this year's have upgraded the roster and consider whether we're ready for a Super Bowl push or not. Armed with that data and those answers ... we'll decide whether to make another pitch to Ross and enter the bidding war.

Regardless, there's no reason not to be fully behind Tua. Just like those people who loved the prospects of Chase (me), Pitts (every Florida fan), and Smith (much of this board), those guys aren't Dolphins. We root for the guys in the Dolphins uniform, and wish them the best. If/When that changes, we root for the new guys.

Hey Ray. Hope all is well.

I guess where I am at with the OCs is I'm not positive of their ability to identify, and exploit opponent's weaknesses on a week to week gameplan basis.

I'm not saying I doubt them necessarily, but to me it remains to be seen, and I think it is a critical aspect of winning football.

I don't have an issue with the structure of co-OCs. Flo strikes me as the type to clearly define responsibilities, so that shouldn't be an issue.

The most meaningful thing about the titles is that neither can be "poached" for less than a HC position.

I think it will work like this:

Flo decides he wants a run, pass or some specific play called.

The Coc (haha) that handles the OL calls the run plays. The coc that handles the offensive receivers and backs handles the pass plays and the nature of any specific play call will fall to the coc that handles that kind of play. The workload for personnel packages falls to the coc responsible for the offensive receivers and backs while keeping the QB informed falls to the coc for the OL & QB.

This division of focus and responsibility should let our offense get ready for any play faster. This will be very important if we are going to have a "kaleidoscope" of play variations, which would make a lot of sense with all our receiver speed and an improved running game behind a more effective OL.

Does this make as much sense to you as it does to me?

I think it will work like this:

Flo decides he wants a run, pass or some specific play called.

The Coc (haha) that handles the OL calls the run plays. The coc that handles the offensive receivers and backs handles the pass plays and the nature of any specific play call will fall to the coc that handles that kind of play. The workload for personnel packages falls to the coc responsible for the offensive receivers and backs while keeping the QB informed falls to the coc for the OL & QB.

This division of focus and responsibility should let our offense get ready for any play faster. This will be very important if we are going to have a "kaleidoscope" of play variations, which would make a lot of sense with all our receiver speed and an improved running game behind a more effective OL.

Does this make as much sense to you as it does to me?
I don't think Flo will be calling plays on a regular basis. Perhaps after time outs, or in crucial situations, but not throughout the flow of the game.

I would expect the majority of play calls would come from whoever is up in the booth, and I expect for obvious reasons that will be the pass coordinator.

I don't think its a good idea to have multiple voices in Tua's helmet. I also don't think it's realistic to have play calls going through 3 ppl to get to Tua's helmet.

I don't think Flo will be calling plays on a regular basis. Perhaps after time outs, or in crucial situations, but not throughout the flow of the game.

I would expect the majority of play calls would come from whoever is up in the booth, and I expect for obvious reasons that will be the pass coordinator.

I don't think its a good idea to have multiple voices in Tua's helmet. I also don't think it's realistic to have play calls going through 3 ppl to get to Tua's helmet.

I agree about multiple play callers contacting Tua as a mistake. I believe only one of the coordinators will be In touch with Tua.

I have no idea which one of those guys goes into the booth, or if it will be one of them. It will be interesting to see who that person turns out to be. My best guess is that it would be the OL & QB coc, because there will be fewer personnel changes on the line and that can be handled by one of the other offensive coaches, possibly Charlie Fry (QB coach).

I agree about multiple play callers contacting Tua as a mistake. I believe only one of the coordinators will be In touch with Tua.

I have no idea which one of those guys goes into the booth, or if it will be one of them. It will be interesting to see who that person turns out to be. My best guess is that it would be the OL & QB coc, because there will be fewer personnel changes on the line and that can be handled by one of the other offensive coaches, possibly Charlie Fry (QB coach).
My thinking is that from the booth, it's easier to see how opposing DBs are lining up, rotating, where safeties are shading, etc, so it would make sense for the pass game OC to be up there, whereas the run game coordinator would have a better vantage point of line play from ground level.

I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of in game adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom