How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL?

Sanders and Waddle could lift ST to an A. I haven’t seen Ferguson make a bad snap yet.

OL I would say D until proven otherwise.

RB a D as well.

Maybe I'm being overly conservative. But top 5 secondary, slightly above average quarterback play, top 10 wide receivers, should equal playoffs. No?
Just to play devils advocate, unless the O-line is effective, the WRs could be a wash.

I am optimistic that both the offense, and defense will be better, including both lines.

Real playoff teams, not fringe pretenders, usually have to hold their own, at a minimum, in the trenches.

Sanders and Waddle could lift ST to an A. I haven’t seen Ferguson make a bad snap yet.

OL I would say D until proven otherwise.

RB a D as well.
TBH, I would rather not have our #6 pick returning punts.

Remember what happened to Grant in that Cincy game? Flo might end up catching an assaut charge.

Remember R. McMillan on STs?

Remember PW returning punts?

Not worth it IMO.

TBH, I would rather not have our #6 pick returning punts.

Remember what happened to Grant in that Cincy game? Flo might end up catching an assaut charge.

Remember R. McMillan on STs?

Remember PW returning punts?

Not worth it IMO.
I am in agreement with you with the exception of close games where Miami is trailing and could use a big return at the end of the game and playoff games.

It will be interesting to see what Flo does. I would prefer Holland to not be out there returning punts as well.

I criticized Saban when Waddle was hurt on a kickoff return, saying something to the effect of, "how greedy do you have to be in order to risk your best player on risky play in a game that you are likely to win big anyway?".

I think this is a bit less true for Waddle in a more evenly balanced NFL, but it is still true. Smart coaches minimize the risks to their most essential players... We'd be MUCH better off with Bowden returning punts most of the time... maybe with a bit of Waddle mixed in to the equation in bigger games.

I criticized Saban when Waddle was hurt on a kickoff return, saying something to the effect of, "how greedy do you have to be in order to risk your best player on risky play in a game that you are likely to win big anyway?".

I think this is a bit less true for Waddle in a more evenly balanced NFL, but it is still true. Smart coaches minimize the risks to their most essential players... We'd be MUCH better off with Bowden returning punts most of the time... maybe with a bit of Waddle mixed in to the equation in bigger games.

I know he's never done it, as far as I know, but I could see Malcolm Perry being a good returner if he can field the ball on punts. He's incredibly shifty and fluid.

That said he needs to make the roster and I don't know if the staff even gives him that opportunity to field kicks.

Potentially... I think our WR/Tight End group could be top 5 in the league. I would suggest that our Tight Ends, already are top 5.

If Waddle becomes the inside man that we envision, and Fuller takes the top off opposing defenses, Preston and DVP will be wide open a lot, as they'll be in single coverage on every down.
The WR scenario you just outlined is VERY possible. The o-line holds up and our passing game will be excellent.

I know he's never done it, as far as I know, but I could see Malcolm Perry being a good returner if he can field the ball on punts. He's incredibly shifty and fluid.

That said he needs to make the roster and I don't know if the staff even gives him that opportunity to field kicks.
I can see that.

Perry could make the roster if he wins the Punt Return job... letting him return kicks too would just increase his value.

I still prefer Grant to Bowden as we haven’t seen Bowden run back kicks while Grant has proven he can break both KOs and Punts.

I see several posters advocating for Perry.

I have to ask, why?

He is a good kid, and a nice story. I always pull for the underdog, but what has he actually done, and does he really even have a position?

The WR scenario you just outlined is VERY possible. The o-line holds up and our passing game will be excellent.
If these guys remain healthy(ish) and only miss the odd game here or there, this could be an excellent group of receivers. DVP is one of the better possession type receivers in the NFL-- his hands are excellent and when he's healthy, he's fast too. Williams looked better than DVP last year until the broken foot. If he can cut down on the concentration drops (something that many young receivers suffer from), he could surpass DVP.
It's a shame that Fuller has to miss week one, because I'd love to see him take the Patriot safeties out of the play on his deep routes.

But it comes down to Tua... and whether we've done enough with our line. If Eichenberg/Hunt shuts down the pass rush on Tua's blind side, Tua will be able to settle, and a settled Tua is much more accurate than what we saw last year.

I see several posters advocating for Perry.

I have to ask, why?

He is a good kid, and a nice story. I always pull for the underdog, but what has he actually done, and does he really even have a position?
The book on Perry is elusive... he makes people miss... supposedly. But we'll have to see it in camp and in the preseason games or he'll be waived, and he is the exact type of player that generally gets claimed-- young and developmental. If we waive him, I doubt that he'll find his way to our practice squad.

Giving the RB’s on the Dolphins roster an F is ridiculous. First of all there were 10 teams in the NFL which averaged less yards rushing per game than the Dolphins did last year.Also the young offensive line was fairly awful when it came to opening holes in the running game.

While the Dolphins don’t have the bell cow RB who can take it to the house on any given play. They have RB’s who can get the job done if they actually get some help from the offensive line.

Based off the play from last year, I would give the RB’s a C+ grade and the offensive line a D- grade. Hopefully the OL will drastically improve next season.

Last edited:
I think the OP's ratings look low because he made a C the average. You have to be 65 or 70+ yo to remember when that was the norm for HS or college. 50+ remembers C+/B- being the mean, and under 35 I've seen B, B+, or even A- being the average! More to the point most sportswriters tend to B or B- being average when they do stuff like this.

Anyway...using the OP's scale:

QB - C+ Tua was in the 20's DVOA, QBR, etc. With a proper offseason, better weapons, etc he improves a lot to 15-11ish.
RB - D Bottom 10. But that's good enough. I like Malcolm Brown a bit better than most.
WR/TE's - B. Not much to say - if healthy our speed length and depth is outstanding.
OL - C- We were bottom 10 last year. Eichenberg and a year's experience improves the line.

DL - B- I think we were above average last year, young players keep improving, Phillips flashes early (hope)
LB - C We're solid, but I don't see any stars here. Flo's scheming makes this unit perform over their talent level. (Hope this continues)
DB - A- I think we miss McCain ...for about 2 or 3 games, then we have the talent to be among the best.

ST - A- 6th in the league DVOA last year. See no reason that can't continue.

GPA = 2.51. Around a B- or C+, or 10th to 15th in the league, a playoff team 1st rd exit if things follow form.

If you weight more important position groups higher , and add an A or A- for coaching you have a very solid playoff team.

Maybe I'm being overly conservative. But top 5 secondary, slightly above average quarterback play, top 10 wide receivers, should equal playoffs. No?
Personally I don't think so. There will be 10-6 teams in the AFC that won't make it, and I can't see the rating you give as going even 9-7. I guess from previous post above I am in the minority but I see the DL as ranking much higher than everyone else. DL in a 3-4 or hybrid defense is more about eating up blockers and squeezing the pocket. The DL is nearly 100% of the time going to be doubled at the POT. It is more about them freeing up LBs to make the play and safeties HAVE to make sure tackles and be a huge part of the run fit. I love our DL and certainly can't think of a 3rd of the teams in the league I would trade ours for. I would have graded it as B+ at worst.

Bottom line is the NFL comes down to QB play. Last year ours went 6-3 without an offseason to do anything other than heal his hip. A hip that was so devastated that some said he may never walk again the same as before. But he came back in the craziest off season of recent memory and went 6-3 behind one of the worst OLs and below average pass catchers in the league. By all indications his offseason work has been non stop and now he gets more weapons. I just don't see that as average. I was not a huge fan of Tua coming out but he FAR exceeded my expectations. He was VERY safe with the ball and understood last year was more about not losing than it was winning and he was VERY good at that. This year he will be much better equipped to win games rather than not lose them. If you look at the last 32 rookie QBs that got significant playing time their rookie year's I don't see 15 that are better than Tua, playing with the talent he had around him. I see solid B at worst. Just my honest opinion. Maybe I am a homer but so be it. Usually I am accused of being a hater so I guess this is a good change.

Back
Top Bottom