How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL?

Personally I don't think so. There will be 10-6 teams in the AFC that won't make it, and I can't see the rating you give as going even 9-7. I guess from previous post above I am in the minority but I see the DL as ranking much higher than everyone else. DL in a 3-4 or hybrid defense is more about eating up blockers and squeezing the pocket. The DL is nearly 100% of the time going to be doubled at the POT. It is more about them freeing up LBs to make the play and safeties HAVE to make sure tackles and be a huge part of the run fit. I love our DL and certainly can't think of a 3rd of the teams in the league I would trade ours for. I would have graded it as B+ at worst.

Bottom line is the NFL comes down to QB play. Last year ours went 6-3 without an offseason to do anything other than heal his hip. A hip that was so devastated that some said he may never walk again the same as before. But he came back in the craziest off season of recent memory and went 6-3 behind one of the worst OLs and below average pass catchers in the league. By all indications his offseason work has been non stop and now he gets more weapons. I just don't see that as average. I was not a huge fan of Tua coming out but he FAR exceeded my expectations. He was VERY safe with the ball and understood last year was more about not losing than it was winning and he was VERY good at that. This year he will be much better equipped to win games rather than not lose them. If you look at the last 32 rookie QBs that got significant playing time their rookie year's I don't see 15 that are better than Tua, playing with the talent he had around him. I see solid B at worst. Just my honest opinion. Maybe I am a homer but so be it. Usually I am accused of being a hater so I guess this is a good change.
There will be no 10-6 teams in the league next year because every team plays a 17 game schedule. 10-6 and a tie is about as close to a 10-6 record a team can get starting in 2021.

I am in agreement with you with the exception of close games where Miami is trailing and could use a big return at the end of the game and playoff games.

It will be interesting to see what Flo does. I would prefer Holland to not be out there returning punts as well.
I agree with both of you. Maybe that factors into Grant making the team. Flores seems to like Grant.

Bit harsh on the Running Backs grade but I get it. If that O-Line can improve and Fuller and Waddle can stretch the field im expecting the Running game to improve no matter who is carrying the rock. Yes I wanted a RB higher in the draft but it's time for Gaskin to show what he's got if he stay healthy. Running by committee isn't what i prefer but with improvements at other Offensive positions I'm expecting it to filter through to the running game.
I get the feeling running back is the last ingredient they'll be adding because they value it the least, look for next year for that to take the plunge.

I get the feeling running back is the last ingredient they'll be adding because they value it the least, look for next year for that to take the plunge.
For as much as we spend on CB, we have to offset that somewhere. Feels like that somewhere is RB. I’m ok w that. You can find RBs that work in your system. CBs much harder.

I disagree!

QB = B+
OL = B+
WR's = A
TE's, RB's, HB's (all the same thing in the new Dolphins i.e. Block or Catch or Run or any of those 3 in combination) = B+
DL = B
Sec. = A+
ST = A-

Since we don't know any more then other teams know about their teams, my guess is as good as anyone's.

Considering my 10-6 prediction at the beginning of last year, it may be better. - LOL

I still prefer Grant to Bowden as we haven’t seen Bowden run back kicks while Grant has proven he can break both KOs and Punts.
yeah, when he can field them clean. I will be very upset if grant makes the team at Perry's expense. I'm sure Grant's a good guy, his hands are just numb.

I disagree!

QB = B+
OL = B+
WR's = A
TE's, RB's, HB's (all the same thing in the new Dolphins i.e. Block or Catch or Run or any of those 3 in combination) = B+
DL = B
Sec. = A+
ST = A-

Since we don't know any more then other teams know about their teams, my guess is as good as anyone's.

Considering my 10-6 prediction at the beginning of last year, it may be better. - LOL
we should be stronger than last year as FA's signings seem to shore weaknesses up and our draft was about as good as it can get. Hopefully the quarterback position takes the next step. To me 10-7-1would be a failure.

FWIW the OP's GPA for the team is 2.41. a little above a C+, or 12th to 16th in the league. Borderline playoff team. But with coaching (does anyone think Flo Co is below a B-?) a playoff team.
My view is the Dolphins should be a playoff team next season. If they don’t make the playoffs, that will mean they didn’t progress from one season to the next. They only missed the playoffs last year because of the loss to the Bills in the season finale.

I don’t expect them to get past the first round of the playoff because I still think they need one more draft and free agency period to fill some holes on the roster. Yet anything less than making the playoffs in 2021 will raise the question if Grier is selecting the right talent to turn this team into a consistent winner.

Looking at this as a projection post it's really tough to grade things but for me it should be assumed that the additions via FA, the draft and growth by last years rookies should be reflected.

Quarterback B+ (pending other units improving and how OCs work)
Against what most of the media thinks I did not think Tua had a poor rookie season. He had 3 poor games out of 9 and he was not asked to do too much in his first game so the stats for that are negligible. I think that the negative narrative on Tua is that he was pulled in 2 games (which you really don't see on a rookie) and the fact that Herbert had a ground breaking season. If it was not for these things Tua would probably not be mentioned in a negative manner tbh cause he had a typical rookie year based on precedence. I think with improvement across receiving unit, running game and OL, Tua should see a significant jump. Additionally, we have to see how the OC tandem will work for the play calling, this is an experiment and hope it pans out. Bottom line Tua can't be his own blocker, can't catch his own passes and can't be our running back, hence need all the units to step up and support each other.

Offensive Line B
Last year the offensive line had some good games but also showed that they had severe issues. Off the top of my head the Broncos and Bills game were some of the worse I saw from that unit and both those games were losses.
I am being more hopeful that this season the rookies improve significantly and the FA/Draft additions push them to above mediocrity.
If the OL improves then the passing and run game improve, this area is very critical.

Wide Receiver/Tight End B+ (Pending other units improving and OC play calling)
I really feel that this unit should significantly improve with the players brought in FA and draft. I expect Waddle and Fuller to really help this unit out and hopefully less injuries than last year. Again improvement will be based on other units improving specifically QB and how OC play calling goes.

Running Back B- (pending other units improving)
I may be one of the few that feels that our RB group is better than what we've seen. I feel with improvements across receiving unit (extend the field), OL (better run blocking), tight end( better blocking) and play calling this unit should do well. We don't have the type of RB that's going to run 80yd TDs, but do we need that? not really.

Defensive Line B+
The addition of Phillips should improve this unit. Hopefully Phillips remains healthy throughout the season.

Linebackers B-
Didn't really address this in the draft, got Mckinney in FA. I am really not sure how much of an improvement there will be but I give them a low B for now.

Secondary A
Stronges unit and getting stronger. The vets have to play at their top and Noah needs to have significant improvement from year 1. I hope Holland is effective immediately and becomes the player we wanted Minkah to be.

Special Teams B
Jason Sanders is one of our best player in this unit, other than that I don't have too much knowledge here. Hoping for a solid B.

I disagree!

QB = B+
OL = B+
WR's = A
DL = B
Sec. = A+
ST = A-

GPA=3.57. Using the OP's scale that's a top 5-7 team. Borderline SB contender. Sure hope you're right!

yeah, when he can field them clean. I will be very upset if grant makes the team at Perry's expense. I'm sure Grant's a good guy, his hands are just numb.
To be fair, his bobbles and muffs are far less than his 1st two years. He’s improved there. He’s the franchise all time return leader w 5 TDs - in just 5 seasons. I remember when we went 20 or 21 years straight from the early 70’s to the 90’s without a single KO for TD (except in the ‘82 SB of course) until Marc Logan of all people ran one back. It’s not an easy thing to do and Grant has that start / stop / accelerate ability that is really unique. I just wish he was a better WR. Then we wouldn’t be having this discussion each year.

I disagree!

QB = B+
OL = B+
WR's = A
DL = B
Sec. = A+
ST = A-

I really think the O-line is going to be good this year as the 2nd year guys settle in.

I see several posters advocating for Perry.

I have to ask, why?

He is a good kid, and a nice story. I always pull for the underdog, but what has he actually done, and does he really even have a position?

He's fairly quick and shifty and raw at WR. I think given enough time he could be a decent #4 WR or maybe slot guy who can make plays here and there.

Like I said also I think k he COULD potentially be a decent returner. Really depends on if he can field kicks.

Overall he's never going to be an elite player, but he's a utility guy who can maybe help win a couple games.

I probably worry too much but I'm concerned about the makeup of our defensive front seven. IMHO we have a lot of guys that are better suited to a 4-3 alignment.

I'd like to see a NT that is at least 320# but on the shorter/wider side. I don't see Davis as a good fit. I fact I see all our DT's as a poor fit. I'd like to see DE's around 280#. I'd like the DE's to be monsters in the run game but have enough speed/agility to get the occasional sack.

I expect my ROLB to be my sack leader. Phillips looks good but is he a DE only? AVG has surprised. The LOLB needs to be a little stouter to handle the TE plus OT and still stop the run and get sacks. I'd almost rather Ogbah handle that duty but he is closer to a prototypical 3-4 DE. I'd like the ILB's to be on the bigger side with good speed and have coverage and blitz skill. Zaven Collins looked like the type I'd want. Guys that are 240#+ but can run and cover. Baker is good for what he is but he is just too light in the pants for my idea of a good fit.

These are hard fits. You kinda want the OLB's to be tweener DE's and the DE's to be tweener DT's. Both need to have a rare combo of strength and speed with high level football IQ.

We are doing great with what we have. But man, a Vince Wilfork and a pair of Bruce Smith's or John Abram's along with a couple of Ray Lewis's.....WOW. Now we don't have to have those quality of players but I think we need to move towards those size/types of players.

Back
Top Bottom