How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL?

To be fair, his bobbles and muffs are far less than his 1st two years. He’s improved there. He’s the franchise all time return leader w 5 TDs - in just 5 seasons. I remember when we went 20 or 21 years straight from the early 70’s to the 90’s without a single KO for TD (except in the ‘82 SB of course) until Marc Logan of all people ran one back. It’s not an easy thing to do and Grant has that start / stop / accelerate ability that is really unique. I just wish he was a better WR. Then we wouldn’t be having this discussion each year.
Always thought he could develop in the slot.

Wonder if he's worth keeping as basically a kick returner?

Now that the draft is over, free agency is about bargain hunting, and the schedule has been released, how do the Miami Dolphins match-up with the rest of the NFL.? I realize this is a projection post. Nobody really knows what the rookies will add. I've read stories where Phillips is projected to be in the running for DROY. That would be nice. I can't remember the last time Miami had a defensive rookie in the running for that honor.

Anyway, here is my grading scale. I'm trying to be realistic and hold back from being overly optimistic.

Bottom Five in the League F
Bottom Third in the League D
League Average C
Top Third in the League B
Top Five in the League A

I may have a few + and - grades.

Quarterback C+
The additions across the offense are bound to help Tua develop. I always viewed his ceiling as a top 10 quarterback in the NFL. Not sure he reaches that year two, but I do think he'll be top half of the league. Brissett has starting experience and was a good add to back up Tua.

Offensive Line C+
The Dolphins offensive line struggled at the end of the season as some of the rookies hit that wall. But looking at this group, it could be a top 10 unit if everything comes together. I love the addition of Eichenberg and look forward to a center battle between Skura and Deiter. Jackson is the player I'm really expecting to take a significant leap. It's a young unit, but the talent is there.

Wide Receiver/Tight End B
This is where Grier really upgraded. When he signed Fuller as a free agent, I wasn't sure Miami would go wide receiver with their first pick. Fuller and Waddle are the types of players defenses have to game plan for. The Dolphins haven't had that in a long time. I like the addition of Long in the tight end room. And I expect Parker to have perhaps his best year with less attention going his way. I might have had a higher grade here, but Parker, Fuller and Williams have all been injury prone. Gesicki and Long in double tight end formations could be difficult for defenses as well. There should be a great battle for that 6th wide receiver spot among Grant, Wilson, Foster, Perry and Hurns. I think Bowden will nail down the 5th spot.

Running Back F
I know this sounds harsh, but I'm not finding many teams with a less talented running back group. Now, I could be wrong if Doaks is better than expected. It's hard to get much from his 4-minute highlight reel, other than the fact that he looks athletic catching the ball. Gaskin might prove to be better than expected. He does everything pretty well, and is good out of the backfield. I really like the addition of Brown and expect him to help in short-yardage. It's a serviceable group that hopefully will surprise us.

Defensive Line B-
The Dolphins don't have an elite player here, although maybe Phillips can become that. Ogbah had a breakout year and should benefit with the addition of Phillips. Wilkins has improved each year and is solid. Davis was on the all-rookie team and was very productive, mostly as nose tackle. The depth on the DL is good with Seiler, Butler and maybe Strowbridge.

Linebackers C
This grade certainly could be higher. I'm cautiously optimistic about McKinney, but want to see how Flores uses him. Baker emerged last year with 7 sacks, which I believe led all linebackers. Van Ginkel should see more playing time now that Van Noy is in NE. Van Noy was one of those clutch players, though. I was glad the Dolphins brought back Roberts.

Secondary A
If everyone in the secondary stays healthy and a few young players emerge, this could be the #1 unit in the NFL. Certainly arguments could be made that X. Howard is the best corner. While Byron Jones had ups and downs, the defense took off once he got into the lineup. Rowe was very solid and impressive covering tight ends. Brandon Jones played well as a rookie. Iggy is the player here that I expect to take a huge jump, possibly winning the "starting" job in the slot. I love the Holland pickup and he'll see a lot of action.

Special Teams B
It's always hard to grade the special teams because it probably has the highest variance from one season to the next. Sanders was possibly the best kicker in the NFL last year, having IMO the best kicking season in Miami history. Will Waddle, Grant or Holland return kicks? Grant certainly figures to be a bubble player. The coverage teams were at least league average last year.

Very fair across the board. Think QB and WR/TE have the best chances to outplay the current grades.

Giving the RB’s on the Dolphins roster an F is ridiculous. First of all there were 10 teams in the NFL which averaged less yards rushing per game than the Dolphins did last year.Also the young offensive line was fairly awful when it came to opening holes in the running game.

While the Dolphins don’t have the bell cow RB who can take it to the house on any given play. They have RB’s who can get the job done if they actually get some help from the offensive line.

Based off the play from last year, I would give the RB’s a C+ grade and the offensive line a D- grade. Hopefully the OL will drastically improve next season.
I just struggled finding less talent there on other teams. I'm okay if I'm wrong.
I hope I am!

I think the OP's ratings look low because he made a C the average. You have to be 65 or 70+ yo to remember when that was the norm for HS or college. 50+ remembers C+/B- being the mean, and under 35 I've seen B, B+, or even A- being the average! More to the point most sportswriters tend to B or B- being average when they do stuff like this.

Anyway...using the OP's scale:

QB - C+ Tua was in the 20's DVOA, QBR, etc. With a proper offseason, better weapons, etc he improves a lot to 15-11ish.
RB - D Bottom 10. But that's good enough. I like Malcolm Brown a bit better than most.
WR/TE's - B. Not much to say - if healthy our speed length and depth is outstanding.
OL - C- We were bottom 10 last year. Eichenberg and a year's experience improves the line.

DL - B- I think we were above average last year, young players keep improving, Phillips flashes early (hope)
LB - C We're solid, but I don't see any stars here. Flo's scheming makes this unit perform over their talent level. (Hope this continues)
DB - A- I think we miss McCain ...for about 2 or 3 games, then we have the talent to be among the best.

ST - A- 6th in the league DVOA last year. See no reason that can't continue.

GPA = 2.51. Around a B- or C+, or 10th to 15th in the league, a playoff team 1st rd exit if things follow form.

If you weight more important position groups higher , and add an A or A- for coaching you have a very solid playoff team.
Right. Good coaching makes the sum better than the parts.

I think Miami should be a playoff team. My one reservation is that Grier took some chances on players who are coming off injuries or have that history....Waddle, Phillips, McKinney, Fuller, Skura.

I disagree!

QB = B+
OL = B+
WR's = A
TE's, RB's, HB's (all the same thing in the new Dolphins i.e. Block or Catch or Run or any of those 3 in combination) = B+
DL = B
Sec. = A+
ST = A-

Since we don't know any more then other teams know about their teams, my guess is as good as anyone's.

Considering my 10-6 prediction at the beginning of last year, it may be better. - LOL
That would be awesome.

If healthy, I definitely can see this wide receiver group among the league's best.

The key is probably the offensive line, both in Tua reaching that level and the wide receivers.

My view is the Dolphins should be a playoff team next season. If they don’t make the playoffs, that will mean they didn’t progress from one season to the next. They only missed the playoffs last year because of the loss to the Bills in the season finale.

I don’t expect them to get past the first round of the playoff because I still think they need one more draft and free agency period to fill some holes on the roster. Yet anything less than making the playoffs in 2021 will raise the question if Grier is selecting the right talent to turn this team into a consistent winner.
I view it similarly.

Missing the playoffs wouldn't necessarily be the end all, if there was improvement in key positions. In particular, Tua.

I think Miami could win a playoff game. On paper, I don't see a huge talent disparity with the better teams.

Always thought he could develop in the slot.

Wonder if he's worth keeping as basically a kick returner?
It’s a fair point to ponder and I understand why his detractors don’t believe so. I guess I am biased toward guys that help turn the tide of a game or two per year w huge plays. He doesn’t get paid stupid money but this year his base is bordering on, “hmmm”. And I really don’t like the idea of using top picks as return men given the proclivity to get injured. Like, I don’t want to see Waddle back there for that reason.

I criticized Saban when Waddle was hurt on a kickoff return, saying something to the effect of, "how greedy do you have to be in order to risk your best player on risky play in a game that you are likely to win big anyway?".

I think this is a bit less true for Waddle in a more evenly balanced NFL, but it is still true. Smart coaches minimize the risks to their most essential players... We'd be MUCH better off with Bowden returning punts most of the time... maybe with a bit of Waddle mixed in to the equation in bigger games.

Good shout give Bowden touches. He might not be spectacular but he’s reliable

It’s a fair point to ponder and I understand why his detractors don’t believe so. I guess I am biased toward guys that help turn the tide of a game or two per year w huge plays. He doesn’t get paid stupid money but this year his base is bordering on, “hmmm”. And I really don’t like the idea of using top picks as return men given the proclivity to get injured. Like, I don’t want to see Waddle back there for that reason.
I've always rooted hard for Grant. I think his drop of a perfectly thrown pass by Tua was the last straw for some of the fan base. I think it would have been a 40+ yard play.

I do like Grant over Wilson and I do think people are forgetting how valuable his returns are.

There will be no 10-6 teams in the league next year because every team plays a 17 game schedule. 10-6 and a tie is about as close to a 10-6 record a team can get starting in 2021.
Touch'e
However I will not be surprised in the slightest if we get in less than 17 games. Pretty sure we haven't seen the last of the virus. I will be happy to be wrong on this topic.

I do not want Waddle as the full-time return man either, we have a very good return guy in Grant , not perfect but one of the best in the league. Keep him on the roster we are so deep at wideout Tua is going to struggle to get our top 4 w/os enough balls ,plus our 3 tes

We really benefitted by turnovers, miracle Raiders game, and favorable scheduling for the Rams & 49rs.

I can easily see us improving as a team but staying at 10 wins.

I agree 100% with OP grades. I was expecting some stupid grade on the running backs like I’m seeing mentioned by others here... was pleasantly surprised to see someone with perspective grading these and the running backs:..

That group was a F last year, is an F going into this season, and BEST CASE SCENARIO will get us a C- production because the rest of the offensive is performing at a high level.

I expect the OL to be solid this year and be a C+ or maybe slightly better grade and if they do, and Tua and the passing game also improves, then I see our running team giving us D+ production.... after being ranked in the bottom 3 in every statistical category for running that matters, if we improve to bottom 10-12, that would be a huge jump.

OP grading scale is excellent, and basically shows we are average or above average in every category (expect RB) and with our depth, we should be a playoff team.

Giving the RB’s on the Dolphins roster an F is ridiculous. First of all there were 10 teams in the NFL which averaged less yards rushing per game than the Dolphins did last year.Also the young offensive line was fairly awful when it came to opening holes in the running game.

While the Dolphins don’t have the bell cow RB who can take it to the house on any given play. They have RB’s who can get the job done if they actually get some help from the offensive line.

Based off the play from last year, I would give the RB’s a C+ grade and the offensive line a D- grade. Hopefully the OL will drastically improve next season.
A excellent OL coach Helps a great deal. Not sure we have that. OL was average at best last season. OL is the most important group this season so that Tua has a chance to succeed. Crossing my fingers the young guys improve, I do like the eichenberg pick. His addition alone already improved the line plus I like Skura way better then karras.

Back
Top Bottom