How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Does Miami Rank Position-by-Position with the Rest of the NFL?

The RBs last year ranked 29th, 31st and 32nd in Yards per attempt, broken tackles and yards after contact.
There are maybe 3-4 teams with worse RBs.
Gaskin had 4.1 and Ahmed 4 YPC. I'm good with that considering teams could stack the box due to our sub standard receiving core.
That will change next year.

Just want to make clear, I'm talking about next year? Maybe you missed that part. Now you know.

Last edited:
I have never put much merit to the over/underachieved line of thinking. There's more validity to "a few bounces" one way or the other can swing a record. That's more a matter of randomness.

Having said that, I do think it's much easier to jump from poor to above average, than from average to a top team.

It's just a tougher hill to climb. I love your optimism, but 15-16 wins is, historically, a very very high bar. Even good/great teams have to have a lot go "right" to only have 1 or 2 losses over a season.

Im not saying it's impossible at all, just tough to accomplish.

For context, SB winner's records...

I don't disagree, that's why I have a range of from 12 wins to 16 wins. A large part of that has to do with how well the better teams have fared with the draft , FA and the reduced cap this year.

We may not have been the best team in the league last year but we earned every one of those wins. I picture Fitz's pass while he was being "face-masked" by the opposing team as the symbol of how we played. Like an old car that was hard to start, but usually got you where you needed to go.

This year we have a new Dodge Ram truck with 1000 HP just waiting to go. That, my friend is, WAY above average.

I just hope we can afford the fuel bill - LOL

I don't disagree, that's why I have a range of from 12 wins to 16 wins. A large part of that has to do with how well the better teams have fared with the draft , FA and the reduced cap this year.

We may not have been the best team in the league last year but we earned every one of those wins. I picture Fitz's pass while he was being "face-masked" by the opposing team as the symbol of how we played. Like an old car that was hard to start, but usually got you where you needed to go.

This year we have a new Dodge Ram truck with 1000 HP just waiting to go. That, my friend is, WAY above average.

I think we are really close in how we view the team.

The only unit that I see as below league average is running back, but that's a position that can improve with better offensive line and receiver play. That should happen.

I wouldn't be shocked if Miami went 13-4, but I'm looking at 11 or 12 wins and a playoff berth.

From there, who knows. If the Dolphins are hot at the right time, anything is possible.

Last edited:
I think we are really close in how we view the team.

The only unit that I see as below league average is running back, but that's a position that can improve with better offense line and receiver play. That should happen.

I wouldn't be shocked if Miami went 13-4, but I'm looking at 11 or 12 wins and a playoff berth.

From there, who knows. If the Dolphins are hot at the right time, anything is possible.
I've never wagered in my life but I find vegas's 9-win prediction almost enough to bring me off the sidelines (Over).

We are a better team with probably an easier schedule than last year, plus 17 games instead of 16.

Tua would really have to play worse than last year and/or some huge injuries for this to happen.

I've never wagered in my life but I find vegas's 9-win prediction almost enough to bring me off the sidelines (Over).

We are a better team with probably an easier schedule than last year, plus 17 games instead of 16.

Tua would really have to play worse than last year and/or some huge injuries for this to happen.
@Awsi Dooger what say you?!

Now that the draft is over, free agency is about bargain hunting, and the schedule has been released, how do the Miami Dolphins match-up with the rest of the NFL.? I realize this is a projection post. Nobody really knows what the rookies will add. I've read stories where Phillips is projected to be in the running for DROY. That would be nice. I can't remember the last time Miami had a defensive rookie in the running for that honor.

Anyway, here is my grading scale. I'm trying to be realistic and hold back from being overly optimistic.

Bottom Five in the League F
Bottom Third in the League D
League Average C
Top Third in the League B
Top Five in the League A

I may have a few + and - grades.

Quarterback C+
The additions across the offense are bound to help Tua develop. I always viewed his ceiling as a top 10 quarterback in the NFL. Not sure he reaches that year two, but I do think he'll be top half of the league. Brissett has starting experience and was a good add to back up Tua.

Offensive Line C+
The Dolphins offensive line struggled at the end of the season as some of the rookies hit that wall. But looking at this group, it could be a top 10 unit if everything comes together. I love the addition of Eichenberg and look forward to a center battle between Skura and Deiter. Jackson is the player I'm really expecting to take a significant leap. It's a young unit, but the talent is there.

Wide Receiver/Tight End B
This is where Grier really upgraded. When he signed Fuller as a free agent, I wasn't sure Miami would go wide receiver with their first pick. Fuller and Waddle are the types of players defenses have to game plan for. The Dolphins haven't had that in a long time. I like the addition of Long in the tight end room. And I expect Parker to have perhaps his best year with less attention going his way. I might have had a higher grade here, but Parker, Fuller and Williams have all been injury prone. Gesicki and Long in double tight end formations could be difficult for defenses as well. There should be a great battle for that 6th wide receiver spot among Grant, Wilson, Foster, Perry and Hurns. I think Bowden will nail down the 5th spot.

Running Back F
I know this sounds harsh, but I'm not finding many teams with a less talented running back group. Now, I could be wrong if Doaks is better than expected. It's hard to get much from his 4-minute highlight reel, other than the fact that he looks athletic catching the ball. Gaskin might prove to be better than expected. He does everything pretty well, and is good out of the backfield. I really like the addition of Brown and expect him to help in short-yardage. It's a serviceable group that hopefully will surprise us.

Defensive Line B-
The Dolphins don't have an elite player here, although maybe Phillips can become that. Ogbah had a breakout year and should benefit with the addition of Phillips. Wilkins has improved each year and is solid. Davis was on the all-rookie team and was very productive, mostly as nose tackle. The depth on the DL is good with Seiler, Butler and maybe Strowbridge.

Linebackers C
This grade certainly could be higher. I'm cautiously optimistic about McKinney, but want to see how Flores uses him. Baker emerged last year with 7 sacks, which I believe led all linebackers. Van Ginkel should see more playing time now that Van Noy is in NE. Van Noy was one of those clutch players, though. I was glad the Dolphins brought back Roberts.

Secondary A
If everyone in the secondary stays healthy and a few young players emerge, this could be the #1 unit in the NFL. Certainly arguments could be made that X. Howard is the best corner. While Byron Jones had ups and downs, the defense took off once he got into the lineup. Rowe was very solid and impressive covering tight ends. Brandon Jones played well as a rookie. Iggy is the player here that I expect to take a huge jump, possibly winning the "starting" job in the slot. I love the Holland pickup and he'll see a lot of action.

Special Teams B
It's always hard to grade the special teams because it probably has the highest variance from one season to the next. Sanders was possibly the best kicker in the NFL last year, having IMO the best kicking season in Miami history. Will Waddle, Grant or Holland return kicks? Grant certainly figures to be a bubble player. The coverage teams were at least league average last year.
I think Philips will play more line backer then end based on the minicamp reports. How would that change your grade on the linebackers?

I think Philips will play more line backer then end based on the minicamp reports. How would that change your grade on the linebackers?
I think it has come to the point where, in some hybrid defenses, you almost need to have a sub category called "edge".

Some posters have already expressed a certain level of confusion over what is DE/edge/LB for purposes of positional labels.

The reality is, it's hard to apply the traditional labels to some of these guys. Our secondary also uses players in ways that don't always align with the "old school" convention.

I think it has come to the point where, in some hybrid defenses, you almost need to have a sub category called "edge".

Some posters have already expressed a certain level of confusion over what is DE/edge/LB for purposes of positional labels.

The reality is, it's hard to apply the traditional labels to some of these guys. Our secondary also uses players in ways that don't always align with the "old school" convention.
True. There will be some % with his hand in the dirt and another % with him standing up, so he could be categorized as both and End and an LB. But in the name of categorizing position groups, he’s kind of in both so I just thought it was an interesting perspective on the original grading of the LB’s which I thought was a bit lower by the OP than I would give them, but all are entitled to their opinions of course.

Great question. I went very conservative on that grade because I really want to see how McKinney is utilized. Kind of the same with Phillips and I want to see more of Van Ginkel.

It could be C+/B-.

Great question. I went very conservative on that grade because I really want to see how McKinney is utilized. Kind of the same with Phillips and I want to see more of Van Ginkel.

It could be C+/B-.
I guess the truth is, grades of "incomplete" could be applied to several units. O-line, QB, LB all have the potential to be improved, but ultil we see it on the field, who knows?

I do have confidence in Flo, so there is that.

It does seem like Miami isn't getting much respect. Maybe the last game is resonating with people, or the uncertainty with Tua.

In a way that's probably a good thing as far as motor goes.

I guess the truth is, grades of "incomplete" could be applied to several units. O-line, QB, LB all have the potential to be improved, but ultil we see it on the field, who knows?

I do have confidence in Flo, so there is that.
Right. And maybe there should be a pass rush grade. I don't think it really matters where he lines up, we know Phillips will be rushing the passer.

Depth at linebacker does seem a little light.

So does this mean we will have our transmission go out by week six?

So does this mean we will have our transmission go out by week six?
That's actually an interesting response.

Those first five games are a challenging way to start the season. New England, Buffalo and Tampa Bay in the early going.

Miami will have to open strong.

Back
Top Bottom