How Far Can He Throw? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Far Can He Throw?

The talking heads on TV crack me up, bashing Belichick for having Gronk in there, when they know damn well that if any one of there where the coach in that situation, they would have don't the exact same thing. It's easy to sit there and pass judgment in hindsight. It's another thing to do it in the moment. If it were easy, we'd all be NFL head coaches.

(and don't get me started on how the media is only talking about how NE lost the game instead of how MIA won it. Damn morons.)

This EXACTLY! it was not a bad move. There was a high possibility (if not probability) that we would throw a long Hail Mary. completely irrelevant whther he could reach the end zone.

Gronk would be pretty effective on that- tall and physical with great hands and body control. Personally, I think the 2nd guessers look like conceited fools using 20-20 hindsight just because the way the pkay wirked out.

no- the one where he threw frim his 33 into the endzone. on my video it is at the 3:40 second mark.

TD to Parker in the end zone.
I think you need to rewatch that clip. The only throw that was 67 yards was the throw to Wallace at about the :50 mark ...the throw at 3:40 was thrown from the opponents side of the field...

wait- im a complete idiot. i wstched that
10 times. yes, its from their side field- only 47 yds.

im losing my mind

I read somewhere that the longest successful Hail Mary was 81 yards in college by Brett Favre. He had quite an arm but the ball actually was caught at the 30 and run in. So only 60-70 yards.

There was a play I recall from years ago against the Panthers that I calculated the ball went 70 yards in the air with Mike Wallace narrowly missing the catch to what would have been a game-winning TD. But that was a younger and healthier Tannehill.

EDIT: Here's the play:

Not sure who phins 4 ever is addressing when he asks if youve ever seen a hail mary. he quoted me.

whats the point? my video above shows THill throwing 67 yards quickly under pressure. Im sure he could hit 75 if he had all day back there to set up and heave.

In any event- his arm is one of the best. He throws 40 yards passes with zero effort, flat footed.

A Hail Mary is a heckuva lot easier to throw, as youre not concerned with hitting them in stride or an INT from a floating ball.

nobody on this site would say that RT17 has an average or weak arm. he can make every throw. but he's had a bum shoulder for a month + now. honestly im saying I wouldn't try a hail mary with him from anything not on the 50 yard line or closer right now. and you still have to have some accuracy behind it or you're going to look like jay cutler last year. If he was on Minns 45 yard line do I think he could pull the trigger and hit a streaking stills at the endzone yes. do I think if he's a Minns 45 yard line, he can drop back 10 yards, throw in a mile into the air and get it 5 yards into the endzone for a jump ball, nope, not until I know his arm is 100%

i agree- im surprised he looked so fluid sunday on sime of those longer throws. hope that means he’s healing.

they dont need to press it.

As you can imagine, NFL fans are arguing about the winning play by the Dolphins. BTW, I'm a Saints fan and I HATE the PATS. Among the points we discussed, some of us thought that Belicheck had no business leaving Gronk in there, because there's no way Tannenhill couold throw a pass 69 yards. On the other hand, others of us said he didn't need to - if he threw it 50 or 60 yards - they could still score. So my question is, based on your knowledge of Tannenhill's arm strength and past history, how far could he throw?
It's not as simple of a question as it might seem.

A fully healthy Tannehill probably could chuck it 60+ yards in the air, and those plays often have a deflection canopy approach, which means rather than the receiver catching it, which may be too hard to do in the crowd, they have one tall and high jumping type, like Parker, go for the ball, but have a couple of other WR's about 3-5 yards away, so that it can be deflected out of the pile and one of those peripheral guys catch it. Now, this approach does not have to be a throw into the end zone, it can be at the 10 or so, and the deflection gives the guy who catches it the ball in space and a short distance to run it in. So, from that perspective, sure, it does make sense to put Gronkowski in there, because in addition to being tall and long armed, he is physically very wide and thick, so it would be very hard for someone to jump around him. He is also very heavy and strong so muscling him out of the optimum catch/deflect spot is nearly impossible. If it's a jump ball, he is by far the best player to defend that. All of the WR's are narrower and less strong, shorter, with shorter arms, and all capable of being jostled out of position. Gronkowski is definitely the person you want breaking up that jump ball.

But, with Tannehill coming off that shoulder thing, his is very unlikely to chuck it 60 yards, so that deflection point is more likely around the 20, which is a lot harder to score from. I get why Gronkowski is in there. In the NFL, the Cal Bears v. Stanford+Band play is just too well defensed, the players too well prepared, and too fast to outrun. So, it almost never works. But with the latest CBA, there is a very limited amount of practice time, and only 18 or so padded practices all year … so guys simply aren't well prepared in some aspects of the game anymore.

This time it worked because the Patriots were poorly prepared. If the Patriots give maximum effort, Drake is caught from behind by #27 or #31, but both hesitated or downright gave up after the play passed them, so when they re-engaged as Drake zig-zagged back across the field, they were too far behind to catch him. Or, the play could have been stopped if Gronkowski had been better coached. Gronkowski had help to his right, and should have realized that the only spot he really needed to cover was the sideline to his left, and funnel the Drake back into the safety to Gronkowski's right … you know, the guy who gets paid to tackle. If that guy had been better coached, he would have closed the space and angle on Drake, squeezing him into Gronkowski and the sideline, and possibly making the play. It was a colossal breakdown in preparation and execution by the Patriots that allowed this to happen. Even with two blocked punts … Rizi outcoached the Patriots.

How Far Can He Throw?
As you can imagine, NFL fans are arguing about the winning play by the Dolphins. BTW, I'm a Saints fan and I HATE the PATS. Among the points we discussed, some of us thought that Belicheck had no business leaving Gronk in there, because there's no way Tannenhill couold throw a pass 69 yards. On the other hand, others of us said he didn't need to - if he threw it 50 or 60 yards - they could still score. So my question is, based on your knowledge of Tannenhill's arm strength and past history, how far could he throw?

Kind of a silly question. He can throw it far enough for a normal Hail Mary. 69 yards is non-typical for that play for any strong arm QB. Way too much has to go right for a QB to step into the throw for 60 plus.

Hail Mary passes are ideally thrown from the 50 anything beyond that should be avoided. Hail Mary passes are a low success pass and when it's beyond the 50 yard line it is even lower.

I think Randall Cunningham threw a ball 80 yards during the QB competition years ago.
Marino threw it mid 60s
If RT can thow it 65 yards I think his arm is plenty strong enough.

This seems to have been fairly well covered, but Tannehill has a lightning bolt on his right shoulder when it’s healthy.

Ok, Belichick made the perfect play call on this play by putting Gronk in there because Tannehill, bum shoulder and gimpy ankle can easily chuck the ball 92 yards with a flick of the wrist!!! And of course, because Gronk fell on his ass on the way to the Tackle....LMFAO...Who Cares?? The Dolphins Won! Belichick got slammed on Mon and Tues by NE media, we got the pleasure of winning and enjoying the suffering of all of the NE fans and media and made it harder for those *&$#$ to navigate the playoffs...Also Gronk was not the hero of the Game, Drake was! Does anything else matter? Go Fins.....Finatical

Back
Top Bottom