How good can this defense be? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good can this defense be?

Kebo

I'm your huckleberry
Club Member
Reaction score
I think we are still a little weak up the middle...NT, MLB, S. The run defense should be in the bottom half. The pass defense could be top ten. My guess total defense and scoring defense in the 12-17 range.

Secondary is going to be as good or better than Surtain Madison. Lb corps is pretty top notch at this point. D line should be a solid A. Safety, we'll see. Is Igby part of the plan there? Flo knew what we had there so there has to be a plan. Depth wise is a little scary on all fronts except DL and CB though.

I think we are still a little weak up the middle...NT, MLB, S. The run defense should be in the bottom half. The pass defense could be top ten. My guess total defense and scoring defense in the 12-17 range.
Hopefully the pass defense isn't top 10 just because teams are running the clock out on us, haha.

A lot will depend on if we can generate pressure. On paper we don't have anything close to an elite, one man wrecking crew.

I do have confidence that Flo can scheme, adjust and gameplan. We appear to have the horses at CB, and Rowe was solid at S, though depth could be an issue.

D-line should be much better against the run with the added FAs and Draft picks.

The only notable change at LB was the addition of VN, but I am hoping RM and JB are hitting stride. They are both only going into their 3rd year of game experience.

I'm going with a couple of qualifications.
1) Only using the last 10 games (IF there are 17).
2) Like 31 other teams, I'm going to assume no injuries.

This D CAN be quite good. It's going to take a lot of guys playing better than I anticipate, but the talent/potential is there. I expect a significantly better pass rush, but I'm basing that on scheme. There are players who are capable of a good pass rush, but no one guy to strike fear in the OC/QB. The only real weakness I see is safety and depth.

IMO the only defensive rankings that matter are points allowed, 3rd down conversion percentages and red zone conversion percentages. The Patriots defense has shown for years that it doesn’t really matter how many yards you give up if you create turnovers or force FGs instead of TDs.

That being said I think our unit could be pretty solid. We added a lot of front-7 talent who specialize in run stopping over pass rushing. I see our defense being CAPABLE (that’s the key word) of performing similar to the Bills’ defense. They are built the same way with a focus on quality depth over premier starters.

I think like many other people have said already, the front office has added a lot of stoutness on the defensive line to improve the rush defense and also gave a lot of versatility and pass rush packages.

If Xavien Howard can stay healthy it should be one of the top five units with the addition of a rookie who I think could really play, by the end of season he will probably be talent wise the second best guy in that secondary.

Miami may not have an elite one man pass rush guy we can get 15-20 sacks, but AVG being healthy for the fall season bringing in smart guys like Van Noy and Lawson who could get like 5-7 sacks and Ogbah who was trending towards a 8+ sack season last year you could see a decent team total though not a single guy who scares you. But that will have it’s own advantages with the versatility That has been built up. Won’t have to game plan for JJ Watt but you also might see six or seven different combinations of three or four man fronts and two or three different combinations of linebackers it’s just gonna be really confusing for O coordinators to lock in should thinggo to plan.

I would agree the depth isn’t great and there are some young guys that will be counted on hard at some point, (Jones due to McCain being injured non stop, Igbo just because all things I heard was Flo loves the kid, and Davis up the middle as the weather get colder run stuffing will be more important) so that might be tough and you will see growing pains but week 13 on Miami can make a run.

One thing is for damn sure with who they drafted and brought in TACKLING will be much better and a point of emphasis.

Last edited:

Yes, I believe Miami might have a top 15 defense this year if things go well.

how good our pass defense is will rely heavily on how much X plays. if he plays 14+ games we could have one of the best pass defenses in football.
That's a great point. Miami could get a lot of "coverage" sack if both Howard and Jones are healthy and playing to their potential.

how good our pass defense is will rely heavily on how much X plays. if he plays 14+ games we could have one of the best pass defenses in football.
That's a great point. Miami could get a lot of "coverage" sacks if both Howard and Jones are healthy and playing to their potential.

I just can't grasp McCain at Safety....hoping the rook takes his spot.

Eric Rowe
Clayton Fejedelem
Steven Parker
Adrian Colbert
Kavon Frazier
Brandon Jones

Are all probably better safeties than Bobby McCain.

I'm not saying he doesn't make the team, but let's hope if he does it's as backup safety and nickel corner.

While I expect the defense to take a couple weeks to sort things out, absolutely expect them to be top 15 ... which isn’t really putting ‘high’ expectations on them ....

Some folks get caught up in ‘names’ ... and it isn’t about that, it’s simply finding players that can do their job ... you earn your reputation by doing just that ...

And since we have so many ‘new’ pieces, it’s gonna take a little while to sort that out .... and camp won’t be enough, so it will take up to a month into the season before we see what this defense can really do ... which ‘should’ be pretty darn good ...

Back
Top Bottom