How good do you guys really know Norv? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good do you guys really know Norv?

Jets_Rule

Practice Squad
Reaction score
From what I read NOT MUCH. I see a lot of you think he likes to throw the ball..WRONG
He loves to run, run and run some more.

Actully your half right. I would read before you speak. In his 4 years in Wahsington he had 5 1000 yard wrs and 4 1000 yard rbs. He was also the coach when Brad Johnson had a 4000 yard season. He like to to pound the ball down your throat, but at the same time run a wide open offense. Look at Troy's, Irvin's, Emmit's number while under Norv. He does a great job of using the talent he has, and catching the d off guard.

I live in VA. and all the Redskin fans I ever talk to say he runs the ball to much. Just about my whole family are deadskin fans.
The reason Brad Johnson threw for 4000 yards was because they where behind in a lot of those games, so they had to threw the ball.

Apparently a lot more then you know since you couldn't even bother to share some facts with us. I'll get you started on some research though. Lets start with the Chargers offensive ranking in 2000. Then the Chargers offensive ranking in 2001.

Then go through and locate all the years that Turner's offense has been top 11 in the league. Then look at the # of Qb's who were ProBowlers while he was there and then look at how many ProBowls they have been to when he wasn't.

Heck there are some people out there who thought Tampa should have gone with Norv all along.

<yawn>....

Jets rule, that's the best you can do? You have friends who are Redskin fans?

Oh no, we've made a huge mistake, Norv RUNS TOO MUCH!!!

you are wrong Jets Rule. I realize that Norv would love to run the ball all day long until the D stops the run; but unlike Chan Gailey, Norv actually has a sophisticated set of formations to help open up the passing game to more than just the WRs

this is being used alot lately but..........jets rule= Dolphinhaters13

Originally posted by Jets_Rule
From what I read NOT MUCH. I see a lot of you think he likes to throw the ball..WRONG
He loves to run, run and run some more.

You know whats funny Jets-Drool? I get the same feeling almost everytime I read one of your posts....... that your WRONG!!!

Most people on this board can, at the VERY LEAST, come up with some literature, or some ACTUAL STATS to back up their arguments!!!

You? Well, you just seem to talk out of a hole on the side of your neck!!!

Your posts do get a lot of responses though!!! Mostly ones that bury your butt! (_)*)

Getting to know Norv

Statistically Norv will add 5-8 more completions per game than what we had under Chan Gailey. Most of those additional receptions will go to the RB and TE which means sustained drives and more points. Re-introducing the TE into the offensive gameplan and getting the ball into Ricky Williams' hands more should give us a more respectable passing game.

The top WR will get 70 plus receptions. If Norv calls Chambers # 70+ times, the Phin passing game will be flat out dangerous. Let it be.

Well... how about this statistic??

Miami was 29th is the league in pass attempts last year with only 453 attempts. Dead last in the AFC at 16th.

San Diego had 548 attmpts for 11th in the NFL and 5th in the AFC.

Thats nearly 100 more attempts, or 6.25 attempts per game. Like someone said... most of those are going to a TE or RB, but that is exactly what is needed to keep an opposing Defense off balance. Last year Chan Gailey had the most predeictable attack in the NFL last year. It was either a run straight up the gut or a pass to one of our starting WR's. Pretty easy to defend from a defensive standpoint. That will change this year. Defenses will be spread out more because of the variety of passes they will be seeing. They will have to look out for passes going to more than just our top WR's, and because of this it will open up the running game more.

The thing I like about Norv...

...is that he actually wants the QB to throw his TE and RBs!

Other than an occasional screen to Lamar Smith, Chan had no interest in doing that.

IMO, Williams, Weaver, and Konrad could combine for 130 catches.

Originally posted by grooves12
Well... how about this statistic??

Miami was 29th is the league in pass attempts last year with only 453 attempts. Dead last in the AFC at 16th.

San Diego had 548 attmpts for 11th in the NFL and 5th in the AFC.

Thats nearly 100 more attempts, or 6.25 attempts per game. Like someone said... most of those are going to a TE or RB, but that is exactly what is needed to keep an opposing Defense off balance. Last year Chan Gailey had the most predeictable attack in the NFL last year. It was either a run straight up the gut or a pass to one of our starting WR's. Pretty easy to defend from a defensive standpoint. That will change this year. Defenses will be spread out more because of the variety of passes they will be seeing. They will have to look out for passes going to more than just our top WR's, and because of this it will open up the running game more.

Great post Groves, and let me add that he threw the ball 100 more times with no wrs(Ghram, Conway, and Dwight all misses alot of time last season. None of them are to good to begin with) and a good running game. His QB is about the same, but the talent he has at wr compared to last year is like compareing Jets-ruls's post to one made by a knowledgeable fan.

I don't know if this is relavent, but Norv's son was a very good HS quarterback at Oakton High School in Oakton VA.

Back
Top Bottom