How Good is Braylon Edwards Compared To... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Good is Braylon Edwards Compared To...

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
How good is Braylon Edwards compared to some of the other top WRs that have come out of college lately? I've read all I can read about him, but basically I've seen him play for only one full game this year. I saw bits and pieces of him playing from other games.

To certify that he is worth the #2 overall he has to justify that he is in the class of Andre Johnson, Charles Rogers, Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, and David Terell when they left college. I'd like to hear some Wolverine opinions on this one. :)

Id rather have any of those guys you mentioned over Terrell. I hate Michigan, huge ND fan, so I saw Terrell play a bit and Im not sold on him.

Charles Rogers had a very similar write-up to Braylon Edwards in 03.

I'm starting to feel that Edwards might just be good enough to warrant that high pick.

DonShula84 said:
Id rather have any of those guys you mentioned over Terrell. I hate Michigan, huge ND fan, so I saw Terrell play a bit and Im not sold on him.

So, from an enemy of MI who hates Edwards, how good is he?

Im pretty neutral on michigan but im not sold at all on braylon. Hes david terrel jr. he drops the easy passes, lacks concentration and doesnt have the pro speed to get downfield. Id rather draft no one at 2 and pull a minnesota vikings (only with no pick at all) than draft him..at least no one cant be a bust.

Boik14 said:
Im pretty neutral on michigan but im not sold at all on braylon. Hes david terrel jr. he drops the easy passes, lacks concentration and doesnt have the pro speed to get downfield. Id rather draft no one at 2 and pull a minnesota vikings (only with no pick at all) than draft him..at least no one cant be a bust.

I never understood what the point of that was. What do we stand to gain by waiting it out like Minnesota did?

perezferia said:
Hey, don't leave me hanging! Who won the matchup, Edwards or Poole?

here's the article, decide for yourself....

Edwards has thought of himself as the straw that stirs the Wolverine’s drink, and perhaps finally, after his ‘clutch’ performance against Ohio State…maybe he is right. Sure, a receiver is only going to be as good as the quarterback that feeds him the ball and the offensive line that protects said signal caller. It doesn’t hurt to have the Doak Walker award winner in the backfield. Michigan is as complete an offensive machine…as…as…well, as the team on the other sideline. However, Edwards’ abilities in the passing game takes this offense to another level. The reason that Edwards looks to be in an advantageous situation against the Trojans is his ability to beat zone and man coverage equally well. Against the Buckeyes’ cover two, Edwards sold the corner route to get Nate Salley to move just slightly, and then stepped back inside, running a skinny post inside Salley. Navarre put the ball where only Edwards could catch it, and Edwards essentially ‘blocked out’ Salley and caught a big touchdown in the first half. Thus, if the Trojans play cover two against Edwards, the two deep safeties – Darnell Bing and Jason Leach - have a huge dilemma facing them…if they jump the inside to get position on Edwards, he simply bends his route to the corner and will be wide open. If the safeties play to the outside, then the linebackers have to gain 15-20 yards of depth to force Navarre to get air on his throw to Edwards. At that point, Bing and/or Leach have time to break on the ball to intercept or break up the pass. Against man coverage, USC’s All-American Will Poole should draw the assignment against the 6’3†Edwards. Advantage Braylon. Poole’s stock has risen all year long as he has garnered seven interceptions on the season and is a fundamentally sound tackler, not just a ‘cover’ corner. But, he is only 6’. The only thing working in Poole’s favor is that he has faced 6’4†Mike Williams all year in practice, 6’3†Devard Darling from Washington State and 6’3†James Newson from Oregon State. Poole has great ball skills, but he is not infallible as his getting roasted in man coverage against Oregon State early in the game is a prime example. In covering Edwards, Poole is not going to gain a lot by trying to jam Edwards at the line of scrimmage, in fact, Edwards’ size and strength gives him a distinct advantage against most smaller corners that jam him at the LOS. Thus, Poole has to use his quickness and ability to read Edwards hips on his routes to ‘beat him to the spot’. Edwards is not Larry Fitzgerald when it comes to running routes, so if Poole is sound in reading Edwards mid-section, he may be able to beat Edwards out of his break to get in Edwards hip pocket to make it difficult to catch any ball from John Navarre. Keep an eye on this matchup…if the Trojans are successful stopping Chris Perry and the Michigan running game, the Trojans may be able to ‘bracket’ Edwards or play Poole in a ‘trail’ man coverage technique with safety help on top to play under intermediate slants and deep digs by Edwards. If the Trojans front seven is not stopping the run, safeties Bing and Leach will have to ‘cheat’ to run support and leave Poole out on an island. Hopefully, he won’t get ‘booted’ from that island.

ih8brady said:
I never understood what the point of that was. What do we stand to gain by waiting it out like Minnesota did?
Not picking Braylon the bust?!? :shakeno:

Personally I think Braylon will be better then any receiver out of this year and last years draft.

I think in the long-term, Roy Williams is going to out last the lot. He probably wasn't as highly touted as Braylon in comparison but I think he has the hardiness and durability to break free after the catch and eleviate the rest of those in his skill category.

I think Roy Williams is the best WR out of the last two years... and then Mike Williams.

I'm not Braylon's biggest fan tbh, he's not my #1 receiver this year.

perezferia said:
Hey, don't leave me hanging! Who won the matchup, Edwards or Poole?

Edwards had 10 receptions 124 yards, 0 TD's. Poole had 2 sacks. USC whipped Michigan (this is the year they tied LSU/Saban for the championship).

Back
Top Bottom