How good is Sewell? | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good is Sewell?

A question is: How good is our OLine if one tackle gets injured?
Better than our WR if one WR gets injured?
Im asking, not being snide.

I think getting Sewell, though, just throws down a slam dunk on the position group. 'Set It and Forget it'. We wouldnt need to invest costly resources on it for potentially 3-4 years, and quality OLine is about the most expensive position to get in FA. It would honestly be the smartest play from a future-cap-management standpoint.
We're counting down the days when we can dispatch Flowers without a cap hit now.

My take = Sewell is overrated -- and not just a little -- way overrated. Folks with good evaluation skills
see a base problem with balance. And once that gets exposed in the Pros he'll have a huge X on him
in pass pro. Knock the kid off balance and you be gone! Thus some are projecting him @G in the Pros
after he flames with whoever invests a premium R1 in him as OT.

Of course this is conjecture. Nothing is proven until it is. But NO WAY I grab him @3. Hell I'd take stick man
before him. Beyond that ------- if ??? we're really in the market for OT we be lookin' @RT. No reason to burn
3 on a RT. That's insanity.

I realize I'm jumping into a debate between two people that are not me, so sorry, but I wanted to emphasize what @Mach2 said about positional value.

It is true that LT does have high positional value, and the argument is that because Tua is a lefty his RT is his blindside protector has high positional value does have merit. But, most defenses are designed to isolate their most elite speed rusher against the LT most of the time and their most powerful bull rusher against the RT most of the time. So I think @Mach2 is correct regarding Sewell's positional value. Most teams would be content to keep their bull rusher against Sewell at RT and take their chances generating blindside pressure, and isolate their twitchy speed guy against Jackson, who hasn't quite evolved to become a dominant LT yet. The increase in efficiency by adding Sewell is significant, but not a game changer to this offense. Tua's mobility is one reason why we do NOT need to invest in two 1st into OT just to get a solid line.

Jesse Davis + Ja'Marr Chase >= Pennei Sewell + Preston Williams. That is the equation. And realize that whomever is NOT replaced in either side of this equation is a strong candidate to be replaced in the 2nd round of this or a near-future draft. Chase has a chance to make this offense great. Sewell has a chance to make this offense solid. I know which I'd choose.
Chase cant do much if Tua's on the ground.

It would make more sense to draft a RT later in first or second round unless Sewell is another Jonathan Ogden. I have not heard that being said yet.

Chase cant do much if Tua's on the ground.
I'm a big proponent of investing in the OL. We drafted 3 guys last year, and two quite high for OL (1st on Jackson, 2nd on Hunt, and only a 4th on Kindley), so we need to watch them develop .... but I'd still draft a 2nd round RT and/or maybe a 2nd round C for the future.

But, one of the major positives for a QB like Tua is his mobility is supposed to allow him to succeed with minimal investment in the OL. He's supposed to succeed despite the OL, like a Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson does every year. It may not be ideal, but if he can't do that, then we need to stop lauding him for his mobility and concentrate on his 11 TD's in 9 games, which needs to dramatically improve for him to keep his starting spot. Personally, I think he's showing signs of ability and will improve, but his ceiling is decidedly lower than Herbert's who clearly uses his mobility to greater effect than Tua and already produces good offensive production. The Dolphins success has been wholly dependent upon our dominant defensive performances. Tua needs to improve--and I suspect he will. But he's never going to be a big armed guy, so he needs to prove he can be productive even before we get him behind a strong OL. We were average last year, and that's all we can expect from Miami. The mobile QB needs to excel behind an average OL ... that's why mobility really helps.

It would make more sense to draft a RT later in first or second round unless Sewell is another Jonathan Ogden. I have not heard that being said yet.
I am pretty sure he is being compared to the best. That would include Ogden, he won the Outland Trophy over guys like Thomas, Wills and Wirfs (An All Pro) last year as a Sophomore. He has been legendary the last couple of years. Is he that good? Who knows, people will find holes in anyone's game.

If I was an OL prospect, I would take Sumo Lessons. There is no other big man sport that knows all about balance, power, and flexibility.

I only saw Oregon play once in 2019 and I didn’t play much attention to Sewell. So I will just leave it up to Grier and Flores to determine if they think Sewell is worthy of being the Dolphins’s first pick. Personally I have no problem with the Dolphins continuing to build their offensive line. They were still a below average OL last year, even though they used a lot of cash and draft resources before the 2020 season On the OL.

The overall offense won’t really become effective until they have a much better offensive line as well as better skill position players. So drafting Sewell at three and then drafting a WR at 18 and a RB and possibly a center in round 2 would be fine with me if Grier and Flores think Sewell is the best player to use their first pick on.

I'm a big proponent of investing in the OL. We drafted 3 guys last year, and two quite high for OL (1st on Jackson, 2nd on Hunt, and only a 4th on Kindley), so we need to watch them develop .... but I'd still draft a 2nd round RT and/or maybe a 2nd round C for the future.

But, one of the major positives for a QB like Tua is his mobility is supposed to allow him to succeed with minimal investment in the OL. He's supposed to succeed despite the OL, like a Russell Wilson or Deshaun Watson does every year. It may not be ideal, but if he can't do that, then we need to stop lauding him for his mobility and concentrate on his 11 TD's in 9 games, which needs to dramatically improve for him to keep his starting spot. Personally, I think he's showing signs of ability and will improve, but his ceiling is decidedly lower than Herbert's who clearly uses his mobility to greater effect than Tua and already produces good offensive production. The Dolphins success has been wholly dependent upon our dominant defensive performances. Tua needs to improve--and I suspect he will. But he's never going to be a big armed guy, so he needs to prove he can be productive even before we get him behind a strong OL. We were average last year, and that's all we can expect from Miami. The mobile QB needs to excel behind an average OL ... that's why mobility really helps.
Nice! That's the way I see it too. Another thing I think about is the projected window when it's all supposed to come together. Tua needs time to develop, our OL needs time to develop, so it's safe to say our WR unit needs time to develop and gel with Tua. That is one reason why I am hoping we go WR high in the draft. We could shorten the learning curve a bit if we went with Smith, but who knows we could draft Chase, so the chemistry between the two could take some time. Also, I realize that no unit is a finished product and we should be hoping to upgrade wherever we can. However, it just seems to me that our skill positions are so depleted that we can't continue to ignore them and expect our team to take the next step and be a perennial playoff team.

My take = Sewell is overrated -- and not just a little -- way overrated. Folks with good evaluation skills
see a base problem with balance. And once that gets exposed in the Pros he'll have a huge X on him
in pass pro. Knock the kid off balance and you be gone! Thus some are projecting him @G in the Pros
after he flames with whoever invests a premium R1 in him as OT.

Of course this is conjecture. Nothing is proven until it is. But NO WAY I grab him @3. Hell I'd take stick man
before him. Beyond that ------- if ??? we're really in the market for OT we be lookin' @RT. No reason to burn
3 on a RT. That's insanity.
You don't have to pass protect when you have the greatest reach blocking skillset of all time and can run PA/RPO all game.

Back
Top Bottom