How good is Sewell? | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good is Sewell?

You will just be miscasting Jackson moving him to right

which is why I’m saying don’t do it and I don’t think they will.

You will just be miscasting Jackson moving him to right

which is why I’m saying don’t do it and I don’t think they will.

If Jackson moves to right tackle is because of Sewell only. If we end u skipping Sewell, and draft an offensive tackle then there is a 100% chance that the rookie will be sent opposite of Jackson. Keep in mind that Sewell by far wins this draft class. There is no better tackle than him this year, or the year before. To put this into perspective, at age 19 he was rated the best college lineman by far. And there hasn't been a college lineman rated like him for almost 10 years. When discussing the draft class last year Willis Jr. for example didn't rated any different than someone like Austin Jackson. In fact the Browns could have picked up Jackson if they wanted to, and perhaps Jackson would have been in a better situation with better players to play with in offense. I do know that looking at film, Willis Jr looks slightly quicker, and can move a lil better than Jackson.

Wills had the cleanest technique in last years class in terms of consistency. Wills was also an elite athlete which is why he’s able to make the move to left side after playing right in college. Again though that is far and away an exception.

as for wills to Jackson head to head I had wills ahead of him and am not surprised he was drafted first. Just that in last years class in terms of where he was as a player and what his ceiling was (upside wise) jackson had the most once the strength and technique caught up with the physical tools. Ie length, feet, and short area lateral quicks.

it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up tbe best tackle in the class down tbe road but he’s gonna have some stiff competition if that’s the case cause it was a hell of a class. Better tackle class than this current one

Looks ideal if we're moving to a zone blocking scheme, and a good prospect even if we don't. But is he a can't miss, once in a generation prospect?

He needs development in pass pro. His footwork does get lazy in space and he can end up too upright. But I wonder how many of his technical deficiencies are because he didn't really have to be that good technically - he could still recover given his athleticism. His traits do look incredible.

There's a value issue which has been done to death on this board. (ie is he better than Devonta Smith with an extra pick from a trade down? And does he give you that much more than Slater, Darrisaw, Radunz or Jenkins?).

But I'm interested in more from an evaluation point of view not value, from those that have watched more than the highlights. I've watched all his snaps vs USC, Stanford and Auburn in 2019 so by no means comprehensive. Incidentally I saw 2 sacks - one vs Stanford, one vs USCs Tufele - so I couldn't tally that with the zero sacks allowed stat. But are you seeing a generational prospect? Or elite? Or merely very good (like Wills and Wirfs) ?
In college he was great.How that will translate to the NFL, only time will tell. That is why the draft is usually pretty much a crap shoot and only a small percentage of the players drafted each year ever become pro bowl level players.

In college he was great.How that will translate to the NFL, only time will tell. That is why the draft is usually pretty much a crap shoot and only a small percentage of the players drafted each year ever become pro bowl level players.
I wouldn't say it's a crap shoot. That implies it is nothing more than random chance.

If that were true, rd4 picks would usually pretty much be just as good as rd1 picks, and we know that is not true.

If you want to say the top "X" amount of picks have a similar chance of success, maybe, but I don't even know about that, due to the fact that top picks usually go to bad overall situations.

Wills had the cleanest technique in last years class in terms of consistency. Wills was also an elite athlete which is why he’s able to make the move to left side after playing right in college. Again though that is far and away an exception.

as for wills to Jackson head to head I had wills ahead of him and am not surprised he was drafted first. Just that in last years class in terms of where he was as a player and what his ceiling was (upside wise) jackson had the most once the strength and technique caught up with the physical tools. Ie length, feet, and short area lateral quicks.

it wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up tbe best tackle in the class down tbe road but he’s gonna have some stiff competition if that’s the case cause it was a hell of a class. Better tackle class than this current one

Also the coaching staff plays a factor. What if Jackson did everything asked of our staff and his ceiling isnt quite reached vs Jackson being with the Browns and having a better coaching staff. Browns ranked top 5 while we ranked bottom 5. Wirfs went to the SB team, Thomas went to the giants, and Jackson played with other rookies. There was no team starting 3 rookies. Hunt was prob the best value pick. Moving him to rg would make him even better.

Also the coaching staff plays a factor. What if Jackson did everything asked of our staff and his ceiling isnt quite reached vs Jackson being with the Browns and having a better coaching staff. Browns ranked top 5 while we ranked bottom 5. Wirfs went to the SB team, Thomas went to the giants, and Jackson played with other rookies. There was no team starting 3 rookies. Hunt was prob the best value pick. Moving him to rg would make him even better.

It's no coincidence the Browns line became arguably the best in the NFL when Bill Callahan arrived. It's no coincidence New England maintained a top 10 line for a decade under Dante Scarnecchia. It wasn't through drafting generational talents. Scarnecchia is the coach Flo cites as having the biggest influence over him during his time in NE - so hopefully Flo knows what he's doing promoting Lemeul JeanPierre.

From my perspective the Sewell question boils down to - is Lemeul the right guy to coach our line? And can Sewell's footwork in passpro be easily fixed with good coaching?

It's no coincidence the Browns line became arguably the best in the NFL when Bill Callahan arrived. It's no coincidence New England maintained a top 10 line for a decade under Dante Scarnecchia. It wasn't through drafting generational talents. Scarnecchia is the coach Flo cites as having the biggest influence over him during his time in NE - so hopefully Flo knows what he's doing promoting Lemeul JeanPierre.

From my perspective the Sewell question boils down to - is Lemeul the right guy to coach our line? And can Sewell's footwork in passpro be easily fixed with good coaching?

really helps that cleveland got its oline talent right finally. Wills right call and adding Conklin and not miscasting him at left tackle right call. Plus they got a guard that’s really underrated at least nationally

really helps that cleveland got its oline talent right finally. Wills right call and adding Conklin and not miscasting him at left tackle right call. Plus they got a guard that’s really underrated at least nationally

Yeah Wyatt Teller made a huge leap this past year. Partly playing beside Conklin, and partly coaching I'm sure. They also moved Wills from RT to LT which isn't straightforward. They invested capital and they made some good calls. It was Callahan at Washington who made Flowers look good enough to get paid $30 million.

We could make a leap this year if we make the right choices on personnel. I think Radunz is another interesting one given the time they spent with him at the SB. And he can play RT. But a lot of it will rest on Lemeul's shoulders.

A quote from a "fan" in the Dolphins Fanzone.....

Sewell is a bust. Havent been on field for 2 years. Played against week opponents all career. Gets bullrushed. No good foot work or technique in general. Small for a tackle. 20 - 30 tackles will be drafted and he is not the best here. Look elsewere beyond the hype for a tackle in later rounds. If Sewell is picked at 3 I am done with this team.

Ughh is all I can say.....

If we took Sewell, I would understand why. He's a good player and would help us. However, right now for me, just good enough is good enough with our OL because we have some young guys to develop. If I am going OL, I prefer an OC later in the draft and think an upgrade there would benefit us more than an upgrade at RT. I don't like drafting for need, but we really do need to upgrade our WR unit. If we came away with Smith, Chase, or Waddle, AND either Harris or Williams, it would be a good start to energizing our offense.

Back
Top Bottom