How good is Sewell? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good is Sewell?

Sometimes... and sometimes it is as basic as... Hey Penei, you are, by far, our best Lineman, you are now a Left Tackle.

He hasn't played in a year anyway... now would be the time to put him where you intend to keep him... and picked in the top 5, it is unlikely to be at Guard.

best lineman does play into it sure. But it’s up to you to watch a kid play and project where he fits best. Austin Jackson that’s left tackle all day long and they gonna bet on him.

Sewell I’m sure there’s some teams that would scoop him and put him as plan a left tackle it’s just not Miami and guard for a lot of teams would be a fall back. Right tackle I doubt it cause if he can’t handle pass pro at left despite those feet and tools he probably isn’t gonna make it at right either.

best lineman does play into it sure. But it’s up to you to watch a kid play and project where he fits best. Austin Jackson that’s left tackle all day long and they gonna bet on him.

Sewell I’m sure there’s some teams that would scoop him and put him as plan a left tackle it’s just not Miami and guard for a lot of teams would be a fall back. Right tackle I doubt it cause if he can’t handle pass pro at left despite those feet and tools he probably isn’t gonna make it at right either.
All I can do is disagree...

It wouldn't do any good to go into specifics...

We'll work out a bet if we draft him, which I doubt. I think the pick is too valuable to be made.

If we draft Sewell at number 3 he will be expected to be our Left Tackle. Teams put their best, most agile, and fastest tackle on the left side. That is the side where the defense puts their fastest pass rusher also happens to be against the left tackle.

I hope you guys are not comparing Jackson in terms of agility, strength, rush, and pass protection to Sewell. I can understand he was drafted higher than the other tackles because he still had room for improvement. We didn't expect him to be better than the other offensive tackles taken, but he did look average for us. Positive things, he only gave up 4 sacks starting at Left, and he was one of the three tackles that were drafted to play Left. He wasn't the worst to start at Left, so that can be considered good news. His Rankings among Left Tackle were at the bottom of the pile. While Hunt Ranked 7th best after week 10-12 until the end of the season at RT. He was expected to start at Guard, but ended up as our RT.

With that said, Austin wasn't a very good Left Tackle at all in his first season, but he wasn't horrible. With Sewell coming in, he will immediately be expected to switch to right Tackle. Hunt will be expected to shift to RG. Flowers will stay at LG, and overall the line would be more balanced that way.

Last edited:
Good. Data that shows that maybe the people who laughed when I said that Flowers was our best performing lineman and that Kindley wasn't that good can all suck it.

We also need to also have some knowledge of why some ratings look better than the others. Unless we have a double tight end set used for whatever package or play call you want to think about isn't being in use, the left tackle is the offensive lineman with the least amount of help after the snap. At least you can assign a tight end coverage duties to help out the line. Depending on the situation, a fullback can be lined up to give the qb coverage as well. With that said, the left tackle normally goes one to one with the opposing teams best pass rusher. Moving him to Right Tackle will actually be a great move for him, specially if Sewell is drafted. Sewell has the physical qualities that you want from a Left Tackle. Specially since pass rushers are looking taller, slimmer, faster, and even stronger. As much as some other tackles had success in the 1st round, they ended up playing Right Tackle for the most part. Thomas ended up starting at left, and was massacred more often than not in passing protection. He ended up giving 10 sacks in total. Austin Jackson also had 8 penalties as well at LT.

This is a poor use of numbers to make a point. Austin Jackson lost an entire offseason of strength development due to his marrow transplant for his sister. He was always gonna be a two year project.

in terms of pure left tackle Id say had he stayed in school another year and got in an actual offseason of strength training etc he’d have been a top 10 2021 pick.

as far as his feet and his lateral short area quickness they are as good as anyone’s in this class that projects at tackle

This is a poor use of numbers to make a point. Austin Jackson lost an entire offseason of strength development due to his marrow transplant for his sister. He was always gonna be a two year project.

in terms of pure left tackle Id say had he stayed in school another year and got in an actual offseason of strength training etc he’d have been a top 10 2021 pick.

as far as his feet and his lateral short area quickness they are as good as anyone’s in this class.
I don't think it says much about his prospects at LT as he was always going to start behind the eight ball, just more of an indictment on how the line actually performed overall.

as far as his feet and his lateral short area quickness they are as good as anyone’s in this class.

Those were his results against the same positions he started in. You cannot argue these numbers in any way at all. They are not trivial at all, and represent hard cold facts. And the Bone Marrow procedure was done before the start of the season in 2019 in college. In an
interview during the draft he said it took him a couple of games to play at full strength.

I don't think it says much about his prospects at LT as he was always going to start behind the eight ball, just more of an indictment on how the line actually performed overall.
These numbers are individual numbers. So it tells you how well they did each. The whole offensive line ranked 28th in the league if you wanted to know our offensive output as a whole.

Those were his results against the same positions he started in. You cannot argue these numbers in any way at all. They are not trivial at all, and represent hard cold facts. And the Bone Marrow procedure was done before the start of the season in 2019 in college. In an
interview during the draft he said it took him a couple of games to play at full strength.

yeah I can argue it cause I said from the get go ideal world austin Jackson gets a redshirt year to work on his strength primary. Upper/lower body and core

Something he didn’t get

These numbers are individual numbers. So it tells you how well they did each. The whole offensive line ranked 28th in the league if you wanted to know our offensive output as a whole.
I meant the individuals compared to each other.

Id like to know the full extent of that foot injury was anyways cause jackson wasn’t the same player at any point after he came back. And accordingly the oline play nose dived as a result.

yeah I can argue it cause I said from the get go ideal world austin Jackson gets a redshirt year to work on his strength primary. Upper/lower body and core

Something he didn’t get

You can argue anything you want brother lol. If you are saying the bone marrow surgery affected his season in 2020 in the NFL at least give me an interview with Miami acknowledging, otherwise is speculation from you and everyone else. He is expected to perform better next season regardless.

Back
Top Bottom