How good is Sewell? | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good is Sewell?

Id like to know the full extent of that foot injury was anyways cause jackson wasn’t the same player at any point after he came back. And accordingly the oline play nose dived as a result.

If you have to make injuries as a reason then you have to associate that issue with the rest of the line as well. The same players he was ranked against happen to have injuries of their own too.

You can argue anything you want brother lol. If you are saying the bone marrow surgery affected his season in 2020 in the NFL at least give me an interview with Miami acknowledging, otherwise is speculation from you and everyone else. He is expected to perform better next season regardless.

you could see on his 2019 college tape that he lacked strength for the next level.

I don’t need to give you anything

I would not necessarily say potential because you are threading on a gray line. He is definitely one of those that is expected to be a hit, and a very high chance of having the success that is expected in a pro level. Like who can you compare him to really in this draft? He's going to be 21 this October, that is crazy.
By potential, I meant the talent is there, you just might not see it on full display in year one :)

so, i wasn't expecting him to be great in 2020.

but i am expecting him to be great.

you could see on his 2019 college tape that he lacked strength for the next level.

I don’t need to give you anything
You are saying it was a factor for 2020. So if that is the case then when it is it going to stop being a factor? Throughout the season we didn't hear the coaching staff that it was at all.

By potential, I meant the talent is there, you just might not see it on full display in year one :)

so, i wasn't expecting him to be great in 2020.

but i am expecting him to be great.

he has a chance of being a top 10 left tackle. In fact outside of tua he’s probably your best chance of being top 10 of something. In terms of recent draft picks

he has a chance of being a top 10 left tackle. In fact outside of tua he’s probably your best chance of being top 10 of something. In terms of recent draft picks
agreed!

But Jason Sanders is already top 10 kicker in the league, and I'm pulling for:

Brandon Jones - top 10 free safety or strong safety (not sure where he ends up)?

Raekwon Davis - top 10 DT?

Christian Wilkins - top 10 DT?

Mike Gesicki - top 10 TE?

Robert Hunt - top 10 RT?

Solomon Kindley - top 10 RG?

Van Ginkster - top 10 OLB?

agreed!

But Jason Sanders is already top 10 kicker in the league, and I'm pulling for:

Brandon Jones - top 10 free safety or strong safety (not sure where he ends up)?

Raekwon Davis - top 10 DT?

Christian Wilkins - top 10 DT?

Mike Gesicki - top 10 TE?

Robert Hunt - top 10 RT?

Solomon Kindley - top 10 RG?

Van Ginkster - top 10 OLB?

lol good luck

Someone show me the last time a team drafted a right tackle in the top 3.

The same people who say a WR isn't good value at 3 want essentially a right tackle instead.

Can't make this up.
Right tackle is our left tackle bc our QB is the only lefty in the league.

I've head a lot of people say having a lefty QB will allow us to get a blindside protector (at RT) cheaper than u typically would.

But that logic only works if that RT has the pass pro ability equal to that of what other teams would want from their LT.

But the reality is many defenses have taken advantage of the fact that teams typically have their weaker pass protector at RT by lining up their best pass rusher there. The result has been an increased value placed on RT's overall, which can be seen by the pretty significant increase in RT pay beginning around 2014.

And QB's used to take most of their snaps under center and drop back 5-7 steps. But the game's gotten faster and QB progressions have changed. And most importantly, they take infinitely more shotgun snaps, making their vision cones less blind.

Overall, these changes in offensive and defensive strategy have made blindside protection less of a priority than having balanced protection.

So even though draft position and salaries don't (currently) reflect it, QB's are becoming more reliant on relatively equal protection from both OT spots.

I've head a lot of people say having a lefty QB will allow us to get a blindside protector (at RT) cheaper than u typically would.

But that logic only works if that RT has the pass pro ability equal to that of what other teams would want from their LT.

But the reality is many defenses have taken advantage of the fact that teams typically have their weaker pass protector at RT by lining up their best pass rusher there. The result has been an increased value placed on RT's overall, which can be seen by the pretty significant increase in RT pay beginning around 2014.

And QB's used to take most of their snaps under center and drop back 5-7 steps. But the game's gotten faster and QB progressions have changed. And most importantly, they take infinitely more shotgun snaps, making their vision cones less blind.

Overall, these changes in offensive and defensive strategy have made blindside protection less of a priority than having balanced protection.

So even though draft position and salaries don't (currently) reflect it, QB's are becoming more reliant on relatively equal protection from both OT spots.
Exactly, which means that the premium placed on an "elite" tackle isn't what it used to be. 20 years ago having an elite left tackle meant the QB got to stand there and get whatever seconds the LT allowed to throw the ball. These days as you said, it's sped up and defenses are moving their pass rushers around all over the place just to get that mismatch against your line's weak link.

It's far better these days to have 5 "good" lineman as your end goal rather than stack an "elite" player at any point because your weak link is how long you have to throw the ball now, not your strongest link.

Looks ideal if we're moving to a zone blocking scheme, and a good prospect even if we don't. But is he a can't miss, once in a generation prospect?

He needs development in pass pro. His footwork does get lazy in space and he can end up too upright. But I wonder how many of his technical deficiencies are because he didn't really have to be that good technically - he could still recover given his athleticism. His traits do look incredible.

There's a value issue which has been done to death on this board. (ie is he better than Devonta Smith with an extra pick from a trade down? And does he give you that much more than Slater, Darrisaw, Radunz or Jenkins?).

But I'm interested in more from an evaluation point of view not value, from those that have watched more than the highlights. I've watched all his snaps vs USC, Stanford and Auburn in 2019 so by no means comprehensive. Incidentally I saw 2 sacks - one vs Stanford, one vs USCs Tufele - so I couldn't tally that with the zero sacks allowed stat. But are you seeing a generational prospect? Or elite? Or merely very good (like Wills and Wirfs) ?
Generational talent. Time off? good less tread. Pass pro is his worst attribute but its far from bad. Consistently blocks 2 guys at once. Moves AJ to RT and Hunt inside where he belongs. We have starting depth on the Oline??!!!?@?@!!! WHAAAAT. Ya worth a 3 all day. Grab N harrisxat rb top of rd 2 and maybe Pitts or a dline with our other 1st.

Exactly, which means that the premium placed on an "elite" tackle isn't what it used to be. 20 years ago having an elite left tackle meant the QB got to stand there and get whatever seconds the LT allowed to throw the ball. These days as you said, it's sped up and defenses are moving their pass rushers around all over the place just to get that mismatch against your line's weak link.

It's far better these days to have 5 "good" lineman as your end goal rather than stack an "elite" player at any point because your weak link is how long you have to throw the ball now, not your strongest link.
I agree with this. A weak link will crater your offensive line. Having every player meet a certain threshold is key. And I do believe the idea of the elite singular OT pass protector does not hold up in today's game.

But just to be clear, does this mean you think no OT's are worth pick 3? I have actually very recently begun rethinking my own stance here. And I'm somone that has advocated for Sewell at 3.

Last edited:

If anyone in here thinks that a left handed quarterback changes the positions of the rest of the players in the team probably have to learn about football. Not only did we not change our starters for own QB when Fitz came out for Tua, but that is not what Teams do. Offenses are right handed that is why you have a weak side, and a strong side with the tight end on the opposite right end. Teams line up their best pass rusher against the left tackle. When Jacksonville drafted Tony Boselli, and they traded for Mark Brunell where did Boselli line up? He lined up as a Left Tackle because he was the best tackle in the team from his Rookie year, until he no longer played for them. So no, the blindside of the QB does not determine where the best tackle goes at all.

If anyone in here thinks that a left handed quarterback changes the positions of the rest of the players in the team probably have to learn about football. Not only did we not change our starters for own QB when Fitz came out for Tua, but that is not what Teams do. Offenses are right handed that is why you have a weak side, and a strong side with the tight end on the opposite right end. Teams line up their best pass rusher against the left tackle. When Jacksonville drafted Tony Boselli, and they traded for Mark Brunell where did Boselli line up? He lined up as a Left Tackle because he was the best tackle in the team from his Rookie year, until he no longer played for them. So no, the blindside of the QB does not determine where the best tackle goes at all.
I never said the handedness of the QB changes the position of the rest of the players on the field.

My only point was that the RT is Tua's blindside protector, unlike every other QB in the league. That was all I meant by that statement.

But I also went on to explain that the idea of the elite blindside protector has become somewhat outdated anyway.

But in Brunell's day it was still during the time where teams basically always had their best defensive pass rusher on their right side, which is not the case today. It would have made no sense to move Boselli over to the side where the weaker pass rusher lined up.

Back
Top Bottom