How good is Sewell? | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good is Sewell?

They don’t even really separate pay anymore left and right side. You a top tackle you gonna get paid. Id still argue that your left tackle has more value cause by and large your best foot and foot speed and length short area quickness athlete is over there and your more power guy likely with a little less feet plays right but still...

Most the guys that can’t make it don’t make it cause of left side they get put at right tackle cause they don’t have left side tools and if they fail at right largely it’s cause they have stone feet or are two slow in which case they kick inside to guard. They just can’t function in that much space thus they need a phone booth.

I never said the handedness of the QB changes the position of the rest of the players on the field.

My only point was that the RT is Tua's blindside protector, unlike every other QB in the league. That was all I meant by that statement.

But I also went on to explain that the idea of the elite LT blindside protector has become somewhat outdated.

But in Brunell's day it was still during the time where teams basically always had their best defensive pass rusher on their right side, which is not the case today. So that example does not completely translate.

Thats subjective in terms of the best pass rusher lining up against the LT I must admit. If anything we have defenses sending 7-8 guys to blitz, and other plays we the same players drop back in coverage. If anything a team tries to avoid engaging the best blocker in the team. The idea of the blindside itself has become outdated. The pocket collapses eventually the longer you hold on to the ball. Guys like Mahommes drop back a lot for example, and can already have a better field of vision already. But Mahommes is a guy that can make any offensive line look better than they are with his crazy pocket awareness. For Tua is a different case, he has a very fast release so that actually works out well. Bottom line, offenses train for this kind of thing during the offseason.

Right tackle is our left tackle bc our QB is the only lefty in the league.

I've head a lot of people say having a lefty QB will allow us to get a blindside protector (at RT) cheaper than u typically would.

But that logic only works if that RT has the pass pro ability equal to that of what other teams would want from their LT.

But the reality is many defenses have taken advantage of the fact that teams typically have their weaker pass protector at RT by lining up their best pass rusher there. The result has been an increased value placed on RT's overall, which can be seen by the pretty significant increase in RT pay beginning around 2014.

And QB's used to take most of their snaps under center and drop back 5-7 steps. But the game's gotten faster and QB progressions have changed. And most importantly, they take infinitely more shotgun snaps, making their vision cones less blind.

Overall, these changes in offensive and defensive strategy have made blindside protection less of a priority than having balanced protection.

So even though draft position and salaries don't (currently) reflect it, QB's are becoming more reliant on relatively equal protection from both OT spots.
Excellent post brother.

I agree with all of it to one, or another, extent.

Thats subjective in terms of the best pass rusher lining up against the LT I must admit. If anything we have defenses sending 7-8 guys to blitz, and other plays we the same players drop back in coverage. If anything a team tries to avoid engaging the best blocker in the team. The idea of the blindside itself has become outdated. The pocket collapses eventually the longer you hold on to the ball. Guys like Mahommes drop back a lot for example, and can already have a better field of vision already. But Mahommes is a guy that can make any offensive line look better than they are with his crazy pocket awareness. For Tua is a different case, he has a very fast release so that actually works out well. Bottom line, offenses train for this kind of thing during the offseason.
Yeah, a lot of what are saying was kind of the point of my original post.

I did say that Tua's blindside was being blocked by the RT. But that was in response to someone asking why you would spend a top 3 pick on a RT (as opposed to a LT I assumed).

But you can read the rest of my post and see that I addressed how much the game has changed in the way you are describing. The majority of it was about how the idea of the blindside has become outdated.

The lining up tbe better pass rusher stuff is not a good reference for left vs right value and preference. Most teams that have an elite pass rusher will try to get him on his better matchup tackle wise as much as possible. If you got a weakness they gonna find it. Usually it’s in the feet lack of foot speed and feet to get out there and meet a guy. Teams offset with chipping etc when possible but still.

left side by and large will face less power more length and athleticism right side more strength but again if they got something legit they going after whatever your primary weakness is. Has to do with strength of the formation too.

length is typically lined up across from the left tackle especially on early downs. There’s a reason guys play left and right side de as prospects as ideal fits and strong and weakside 34 olbs although that usually relies more in their individual player skill set than any real matchup with the opposition. Poa play and power vs speed and quickness

If we don't trade back I believe he's the pick. We wouldn't be one injury on the oline away from disaster for once.

They don’t even really separate pay anymore left and right side. You a top tackle you gonna get paid. Id still argue that your left tackle has more value cause by and large your best foot and foot speed and length short area quickness athlete is over there and your more power guy likely with a little less feet plays right but still...

Most the guys that can’t make it don’t make it cause of left side they get put at right tackle cause they don’t have left side tools and if they fail at right largely it’s cause they have stone feet or are two slow in which case they kick inside to guard. They just can’t function in that much space thus they need a phone booth.

Arguably one of the best left tackles in the game, and you can see why.

Where is Mack Lined up at ? Whose assignment it is to stop Mack? Why? There is a clear difference in speed, strength, athleticism, and blocking assignments when you compare Backtiari to Boluga which is his right tackle for the packers this year. The following year who is Green Bay's left tackle still? And where did Boluga go? To another team. The whole topic about the Left Tackle getting payed more money is always true. That is like comparing safety vs cornerback pay. Two different positions, and one position has more responsibility than the other. If a guy can't make it as a corner, but can make it as a safety he will be paid less. Playing right tackle vs left tackle has the same effect. Bigger responsibilities, better skills, and higher pay grade. Find me a team out there that keeps the same right tackle but replaces their left tackles every year or, every other year.

Last edited:
Bulaga left cause he couldn’t stay healthy which effected his overall game no doubt.

In his prime Bulaga was a top shelf right tackle and I graded him as such as a prospect. What he didn’t have was left tackle tools.

bhaktiari was a left tackle only coming out and because of that he got dinged and dropped into round 3 I think it was. No real position versatility. But left tackle all the way game and tools. Needed some strength development.

neither of those guys were ever miscast as pros.

As for the right tackle vs left tackle pay argument didn’t right tackle Jack Conklin get paid big money like top 5 money with cleveland?

he’s another right tackle all the way guy never been miscast as a pro

I agree with this. A weak link will crater your offensive line. Having every player meet a certain threshold is key. And I do believe the idea of the elite singular OT pass protector does not hold up in today's game.

But just to be clear, does this mean you think no OT's are worth pick 3? I have actually very recently begun rethinking my own stance here. And I'm somone that has advocated for Sewell at 3.
My goal at the tackle position in today's game is to cap out at "good" to "very good" because I think that will add the most value. Do I want to draft an "elite" tackle like Sewell at #3 and then pay him $25-$30 million a season 4 years from now assuming he's as good as most think he is? I can't imagine anybody who would especially when it means having to sacrifice across the rest of the line which defeats the entire purpose.

If this were 1997 I'd snap up Sewell immediately and call it a day, but that's not the time we're in. I wouldn't ever take a tackle top 5 anymore.

What's crazy about this discussion to me is that this is literally the fan base that managed to snooker BoB with Tunsil because of the outdated "value" argument with tackles and their offense got WORSE the following season despite starting almost the same players. Is that due to Tunsil? Of course not, but what it shows is that having that tackle isn't going to move the needle much offensively these days and we've got people wanting to forget all that and take the tackle again.

tldr: Build a "good" line and throw "elite" skill position players on the field rather than vice versa. I'm not trying to be the Colts and that's the direction you're going if you take a Sewell.

Good with an elite qb is all you need at tackle. Don’t be an eye sore and don’t be bringing the unit down.

very good is still gonna get paid big time money either by you prior to free agency or in it if you let it hit.

top 5 isn’t necessary but if you drafting it top 5 you sure want it

Highest Graded Tackles In the league:
As for the right tackle vs left tackle pay argument didn’t right tackle Jack Conklin get paid big money like top 5 money with cleveland?

he’s another right tackle all the way guy never been miscast as a pro
Good thing you brought that up. Conk is the best right tackle in the league, and the browns have one of the best lines in the league. Conklin's rookie contract was up, and ended up getting rewarded for his pay. Cleveland ended up giving up on LT Greg Robinson after 3 years because he sucked, and spent their 2020 draft pick on Willis Jr. (picked ahead of Jackson).

On a side note:

Willis was the best rookie to start at left tackle last season by the way, and made the all rookie team. Overall he rated higher than Jackson, but he was expected to do better. Had Miami had both players on the list they would have drafted Willis. If we draft Sewell, and move Jackson to right that doesn't necessarily make Jackson an inferior player since Wirfs from the Bucs was rated 2nd best tackle in the NFL and was the 2nd tackle drafted or 3rd on 2020r right?

Honestly in today’s game if I’m gonna have anything on the oline be elite it would probably be right guard. It’s worth it. They boost oline units big time.
Browns probably have one of the highest rated Guard duos in the league. In fact their least rated player is their left tackle rookie. He will get better just as Jackson.

Look at them in motion against Washington

Back
Top Bottom