How good is Waddle? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How good is Waddle?

Not every fast player is the same. Sure, both have elite straight line speed.

But Waddle can use his speed more effectively IMO because he can change direction at an elite level and is much more elusive with the ball. Guys like Ruggs, Ginn, and Ross are fast, but Waddle is what many would call a human joystick out there.

He's also a better route runner, which is a big part of what held Ruggs back this past season.

Waddle was averaging 139 ypg before he got injured last year. He was already 189 yards away from Rugg's best season after 4 games.

I never believed Ruggs was that great and honestly laughed at the Raiders for taking him before Lamb and Jeudy.

Even though injury limited him to 4 games, Waddle actually proved he could consistently put up elite production as an alpha receiver at the college level last season (something Ruggs never did). His lowest yardage total in those 4 games was 120.

The two are only compared together so much bc they're both fast and played on the same team.
Thanks dude!

Ruggs was almost exclusively a deep threat at Bama. I actually liked Ruggs a lot if he were to go to a team that would allow him to do that as a 2nd or 3rd option rather than a team like Vegas who needed a number 1 guy.
Thanks man!

He truly is a HR threat and something this offense was sorely lacking.

Love the player. However, a player like this usually isn’t picked top 10. Austin was the last, and he didn’t work out close to his draft position.

With the success of Tyreek Hill, I am sure we will see more high gambles on these types of WRs.

I think between the injury and Smith going insane it is easy to forget just how dominant Waddle was to start the season
Lol I know I did. I was all on board the Smith train so I had to adjust my perception after that pick. I had forgotten that up until the injury Waddle had been outperforming Smith last season. I also watched him go after the ball in the air and realized we got a guy who is going to fight for those contested catches and isn’t afraid to take a hit. He and Fuller have the potential to open up so much of our passing game it’s insane. Tua was billed as a guy who knows where to deliver the ball, now he’s going to have options all over the field and it starts with the attention these two guys will require from defenses.

like always happens when a certain type of player comes along that kills it, the NFL has been trying to replicate Tyreek Hill so since he came on the scene there have been copycats taken every draft. None of them approach his success because the teams lack a QB like Mahomes, a TE like Kelce and a coach like Reid. That doesn't stop them though. Waddle is a stud. But a luxury when you already have a very good threesome in Parker, Fuller and Williams. I don't hate the player but hate that it cost two 1st rounders. If he stays healthy and we get a franchise QB he'll be fine. It's usually prudent to actually get the franchise QB first before taking guys like Waddle though and we'll regret passing on Lance for a 15 like we'll regret passing on Herbert. I do think when you don't have a franchise QB like us, having someone like Waddle to run sweeps and bubble screens will open up things for Parker and Fuller. We just have to hope Tua isn't completely useless and can take advantage of that. Let's hope he and the others stay healthy. Anything less than 1400-12 TDs will be a major disappointment. That's the type of production that the draft capital spent should bring. It still won't be able to compete with having Lance for 15 years but it would mean he's producing as much as Chase and Pitts should.
What a garbage post.

We have to hope Tua isn't completely useless now?! lol how the **** did he go from one of the best college players to suddenly a possible 'completely useless' player? What an absurd thought.

Then you think a ROOKIE should have 1400 yards or it would be a 'major disappointment'.

I mean, there's a lot more stupidity in this wall of text of yours, but these two take the cake!

Clueless post of the year goes to.......

What a garbage post.

We have to hope Tua isn't completely useless now?! lol how the **** did he go from one of the best college players to suddenly a possible 'completely useless' player? What an absurd thought.

Then you think a ROOKIE should have 1400 yards or it would be a 'major disappointment'.

I mean, there's a lot more stupidity in this wall of text of yours, but these two take the cake!

Clueless post of the year goes to.......

Being one of the best college players literally has 0 impact on your ability to play at the NFL level. The skill sets required can be entirely different.

You went really hard on that post while not particularly putting any reasons in your post as to why.

Its great you think his post is stupid. Quite honestly yours isn't very much better if any.

He brings Tyreek Hill's skill-set to this offense. Equally adept in short/long passing game. Literally one missed tackle or bad angle from a huge play every time he touches the ball.

With he and Fuller, this offense is light years ahead of last year on skill alone.

Throw in the NFL experience and growth of the 3 OL and Tua, the offense is potentially a top ten unit.

I know people will bring up running game, but we had nearly 1700 yards last year at 3.9 ypc.

The Bucs only averaged 4.1 ypc last year. It's not as bad as DDs are making it.

Hell, a couple of end-arounds from Wilson or Waddle get us there!

& they are a bunch of boobs

When I watch him, it isn't only the elite speed that stands out. He is also "shifty", and switches both gears and direction in a single step.

Straight line track speed is nice, but Waddle is more than that, IMO.

With a little coaching on route precision, he will be nearly uncoverable in man by 90% of the corners he faces.

The obsession w/ straight line speed is great for the Olympics and a certain Vin Diesel franchise

Being one of the best college players literally has 0 impact on your ability to play at the NFL level. The skill sets required can be entirely different.

You went really hard on that post while not particularly putting any reasons in your post as to why.

Its great you think his post is stupid. Quite honestly yours isn't very much better if any.
Has zero impact? Sure.

Explain to me how you can come close to putting 'completely useless' next to Tua's name. I'll wait.

Edit: The skillset required can be entirely different?! Please explain that nonsense.. Show me ONE player that had an 'entirely different skill set' from college to pros.

He's a high ceiling guy, he could be the best of the blue chipper in this class. But he's not the finished article, it'll take time in my view to get him to where we need him to be, hopefully the fan base stays patient. Strange if you look at the outstanding generation of Bama wide outs Juedy, Ruggs, Smith and Waddle, when they were all available Waddle was bottom of the roster yet he's been drafted higher than any of them.

He wasn't my choice but we as always, even if we drafted Charles Harris, we as fans should get behind the decision and pull for the kid, WRs are expected to make an immediate impact in today's NFL, which has me a little concerned tbh.

Back
Top Bottom