How high are you willing to pay Wilkins? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How high are you willing to pay Wilkins?

Your cap on Wilkins contract?

• Total voters
I will still not be surprised if the Dolphins end up trading Wilkins eventually. I do not like that this would happen and yet I am not sure they will be able to invest that much in a DT and still be able to pay Phillips, Tua, Holland? Kader etc.

I do not know this exactly and could be wrong but I think of it like when the Patriots traded Richard Seymour years ago when I think he was in his prime and with that got a 1st round pick .....yadayada as I do not want to go into that too much.

I would hate to see him go, he is one of my favourite players right now for sure.

I will still not be surprised if the Dolphins end up trading Wilkins eventually. I do not like that this would happen and yet I am not sure they will be able to invest that much in a DT and still be able to pay Phillips, Tua, Holland? Kader etc.

I do not know this exactly and could be wrong but I think of it like when the Patriots traded Richard Seymour years ago when I think he was in his prime and with that got a 1st round pick .....yadayada as I do not want to go into that too much.

I would hate to see him go, he is one of my favourite players right now for sure.

I hate to agree with this, but I do.

We are to that point where we are a good enough team that we will begin to lose players. The Cap guarantees this will happen to every good team.

$16-18 is the right amount. Less than that would be a bargain. He will be a contract we end up regretting if we pay more than that.

I’d offer him a 4-year, $70 million deal with $50 million guaranteed, and if he said no, I’d just let him play next season out with the intention to franchise tag him.

The non-exclusive franchise tag for DTs was $18.9 million this year. It will be under $20 million next year. There is no reason to extend him if it’s going to cost more than $18 million per year. We can keep him this year for $10 million, next year for $19.5 million (on the franchise tag), and at that point he’ll be turning 30 and will come much cheaper if we want to keep him around.

I know its more complicated then that but I'm going to use per numbers in order to make it more straight forward.
IMO, He’s a top 6 DT and should have been a Pro Bowler… his woofing isn’t popular with opponents and some media. Still, he and Holland are the heart and soul of the defense. With Samual added, and Chubb back in a system he knows, it’s a probably top 10 defense. Pay the man, make some cutbacks elsewhere. Up to 18 million, 4 years… at least.

Pay da man. Full Market Jack. It’s about keepin the momentum going till we reach the summit. Ya wanna lowball the guy? Ha! I should’ve prefaced the sentence properly…Do you really think Chris Grier is gonna lowball this guy? Sheesh. Just imagine the look and reaction on Christians face when Chris says… Hey Wilkins? We’re gonna pay a 12.5 a year k?

Bam! (The sound of Chris Grier being bodyslammed by Christian Wilkins in the front office right in front of Ross.)

21 a year for 4 yrs - 60 guaranteed mid June. Good thing the caps goin up.

Last edited:
All of the top 5 make 21m/year or more... which means the Tag will be an average of those top 5.
If we get him for under 20, it'll be on a hometown discount... although, I think he's from Massachusetts.
Connecticut… but his “home” is Clemson. He hangs around quite a bit and is unbelievably beloved around the upstate.

His senior year at Clemson he actually served as a substitute teacher for a 5 year old kindergarten class for about a month lol. The kids just loved him.

His personality is infectious and he’s the single best team leader I’ve ever had the pleasure of being around up close.

He’s worth every penny and really just entering his prime. Everybody calls him a run stuffer and he is but he can and will rush the passer. His sack #s don’t back that up… yet.

But that’s bc he’s been the main focus of opponents OLs bc we haven’t had that other great/elite player up front to take pressure off of him. Now with Chubb entering his 2nd year and Phillips about to explode on the NFL… I’d be stunned if his sack #s doesn’t see a significant increase.

He’s every bit worth the 20 mil/year. He is not just the leader of this team on defense but he’s right there as a leader for the entire team. Opponents absolutely loathe him and he’s able to get under their skin…. Ask Josh Allen lol. He’s the guy that if he’s on your team you love him but if he’s the opponent you despise him.

Plus we drafted and developed him. Keep our homegrown products at home. Pay this man immediately!

Connecticut… but his “home” is Clemson. He hangs around quite a bit and is unbelievably beloved around the upstate.

His senior year at Clemson he actually served as a substitute teacher for a 5 year old kindergarten class for about a month lol. The kids just loved him.

His personality is infectious and he’s the single best team leader I’ve ever had the pleasure of being around up close.

He’s worth every penny and really just entering his prime. Everybody calls him a run stuffer and he is but he can and will rush the passer. His sack #s don’t back that up… yet.

But that’s bc he’s been the main focus of opponents OLs bc we haven’t had that other great/elite player up front to take pressure off of him. Now with Chubb entering his 2nd year and Phillips about to explode on the NFL… I’d be stunned if his sack #s doesn’t see a significant increase.

He’s every bit worth the 20 mil/year. He is not just the leader of this team on defense but he’s right there as a leader for the entire team. Opponents absolutely loathe him and he’s able to get under their skin…. Ask Josh Allen lol. He’s the guy that if he’s on your team you love him but if he’s the opponent you despise him.

Plus we drafted and developed him. Keep our homegrown products at home. Pay this man immediately!

“But that’s bc he’s been the main focus of opponents OLs bc we haven’t had that other great/elite player up front to take pressure off of him. Now with Chubb entering his 2nd year and Phillips about to explode on the NFL… I’d be stunned if his sack #s doesn’t see a significant increase.”

what are you talking about here?

The opposing offensive lines were focusing on Wilkins? The Dolphins blitz rate %’s the last 2 seasons were 39% in 2021 and 33% in 2022. Which means the opposing offensive lines had MORE responsibilities to block MORE of Miami’s defensive players on 39% and 33% of plays the last 2 seasons. If Wilkins was such a dominant DT and the Dolphins were top 4 in blitz %’s the last 2 seasons, why did Wilkins not have more sacks?
Conversely, the Titans the last 2 seasons were one of the least blitzing teams and generated more Qb pressure and sacks out of their base defense. So i would think Simmons is the one double teamed a lot more each play than Wilkins, as the Titans blitz a lot less than the Dolphins do. Hence, Simmons is worth much more in value as Wilkins is.

Titans just locked up Simmons @ 23 million a year for 4 years, which he deserves and you think Wilkins deserves 20 mil a year when he has way more help rushing the opposing Qb‘s and tackling ball carriers and he also fails to generate sacks? Please don’t bring up Wilkins tackle totals because they to are generated from the Dolphins high blitz %‘s, or showing blitz pre snap.

We will see this season what Wilkins can be when the Dolphins blitz at a much lower rate than their 2 previous seasons as Fangio historically, as a DC, does not blitz much and generates his pressure from his base sets.

Back
Top Bottom