How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves?

A good back up is always a positive asset. Look at what Teddy Bridgewater meant for the Saints last year. Nick Foles when the Eagles won the Super Bowl Or even Matt Moore for us in 2016 and the Chiefs last year. May not win you games all the time but if you need someone to hold the fort down for a few weeks it is best to have
someone who you can count on to keep the season intact.
Give me any of those guys on the contracts they were on. The Saints did trade a 3rd rounder for Bridgewater. But Foles and Moore were signed as free agents for 3-5 million.

We should try to find a good backup. But I can't justify investing draft stock. We need to find a Foles or Moore the way the Fins/Eagles did. There's guys out there that can get you through 3 games.

But the problem is how many good backup QB's are there in this league? Heck there aren't even 32 good starting QB's in this league.

The idea is to have someone at least average, not to have someone bad. But only if you're a good team, if you're not there is no point. Like the Jets right now with Flacco

The idea is to have someone at least average, not to have someone bad. But only if you're a good team, if you're not there is no point. Like the Jets right now with Flacco
But even a lot of good teams have below average backup QB's. Most teams don't put a premium on finding an average to above average backup QB. They figure if their starter goes down for any length of time they are screwed anyways.

This team would prove to be run by absolute morons if we don't draft a QB next year.

Without Fitz we have literally absolutely nobody. We'd basically forfeit the season completely if Tua got hurt.

After this week's leak of the change to Tua, it seems that there is a chance Fitz wouldn't want to be on the team next year. If he leaves, knowing Tua's injury background in a fairly short sample size of really two years as starter at Bama, I'm thinking backup QB is a high priority if RF isn't on the team. As much as I'm excited about Tua being under center, I am expecting he might miss about three games a season on average. Yes, we're building an O Line but even the best O Lines still see their Qb's go down.

To me, I would pencil in backup if Fitz isn't staying right behind DE, WR, RB and OL in the draft.

If the Texans continue to lose, and they end up with the overall #1 pick, just draft Lawrence, if Tua goes down...No problem.

Actually seriously though, there a lot of good young QBs coming out of college in the 21 draft that can handle the backup duties. Also in FA Miami can find a backup if they so choose...Still hoping Fitz is able to get over his disappointment and return, he is far more valuable to Miami then just being that backup, he is very smart, and along with continuing to help Tua to grow as an NFL QB, he could help him with coverage and what he sees of the weekly opponents.

If the Texans continue to lose, and they end up with the overall #1 pick, just draft Lawrence, if Tua goes down...No problem.

Actually seriously though, there a lot of good young QBs coming out of college in the 21 draft that can handle the backup duties. Also in FA Miami can find a backup if they so choose...Still hoping Fitz is able to get over his disappointment and return, he is far more valuable to Miami then just being that backup, he is very smart, and along with continuing to help Tua to grow as an NFL QB, he could help him with coverage and what he sees of the weekly opponents.

If Tua goes down, no problem? I'd start Lawrence over Tua every day. Twice on Saturdays and twice on Sundays.

as far as backup QB's, I think they are very important. The 2002 Dolphins team was maybe the best in the AFC until Fiedler went down. Fiedler wasn't awesome, but was a solid starter. Ray Lucas played terrible that season in a backup role and we missed the playoffs largely because of that stretch where Fiedler was out.

I read through the thread pretty fast as I've seen this debate time and time again... There's more than one way to treat the backup position IMO... How important is the position depends on how the team decides to look at it. Do you want to pay for a reliable backup that wins you games in a pinch? Are you looking at the position from an asset management standpoint? Is your team most probably out of it if the starter goes down?

These are all questions that need to be anwsered before you decide who you want and if you're going to use draft capital or cash to get them. There's no right or wrong anwser here as long as it's a fit with the big picture...

Edit: Couple of examples.... Who did the Colts chose to backup Peyton Manning when he went down and what did it acomplish? How many backups did NE trade for value? Who did the Titans get as a backup for Mariota?

Are are many many ways to go about it and it aint all that simple...

You don't need a backup to come in and win the game for you - they just need him to not be the one that causes the team to lose. If you have a balanced team your hope would be that they would step up in other areas to compensate. So basically you just need someone who isn't going to come in and shat the bed.

If Tua goes down, no problem? I'd start Lawrence over Tua every day. Twice on Saturdays and twice on Sundays.

Well, though some may be 100% sure Lawrence is going to be a better QB then Tua, that is nowhere close to being an absolute possibility...Tua could just as easily be better then Lawrence.

as far as backup QB's, I think they are very important. The 2002 Dolphins team was maybe the best in the AFC until Fiedler went down. Fiedler wasn't awesome, but was a solid starter. Ray Lucas played terrible that season in a backup role and we missed the playoffs largely because of that stretch where Fiedler was out.

Well, that's why it's always a crapshoot, nothing is ever as certain as you may think. When Ray was given a chance to start with the Jets, he looked great, but when he reached the Dolphins, he was a totally different player.

He didn't just have surgery to strengthen tendons. He had ankle injuries prior to the surgeries.
Sprained ankles. If you're listing that as a real "injury" then it's being disingenuous. Everybody on the planet Earth get those, especially athletes.

Last edited:
Fitz might be able to start somewhere, but it would be to fill in because of injury or a team like the Jets or Jacksonville that plan on taking one and he will go through the same thing he just did. He’s not a starter on any team for two seasons, his career as one is over. He should stay in a no income tax state he likes and accept any chance he gets to stay employed until he can’t be. I would go out healthy if I were him. If he loved the game and could hold off a rookie with his arm and smarts, he would still be starting here. I think he should accept the back up role right here. No shame backing up Tua. Not so good if he has to back up Gardner Minchew.

Back
Top Bottom