How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Important Is Backup QB Next Year if Fitz Leaves?

Let's just do what everyone else does and sign somebody who isn't any good to man the #2 job. Finding worthwhile players is HARD darnit.

Well, though some may be 100% sure Lawrence is going to be a better QB then Tua, that is nowhere close to being an absolute possibility...Tua could just as easily be better then Lawrence.

Well, that's why it's always a crapshoot, nothing is ever as certain as you may think. When Ray was given a chance to start with the Jets, he looked great, but when he reached the Dolphins, he was a totally different player.
I agree on both. I was just posting my opinion. Ray's poor performance (I thought he was a solid starter with the NYJ as well) was strange in 2002.

Nope, they were to strengthen the tendons.

Sorry you're upset.
Yes because strengthening the tendons was the more expedient way of him recovering from two high ankle sprains which are notorious. I had one 20 years again and I still walk weird.

Look every college player has injuries and surgeries that we never here about. The fact is Tua is a head liner, a legitimate starting QB and had surgeries, not say they weren't big deals, but so what. Once a player hits the NFL anything can happen. Rumor is there is better conditioning, better strength training, better nutrition better everything in the NFL. Maybe just maybe Tua gets that Superman Cape now that he is in the NFL program. It is just that every player gets hurt, some worse than others, every player gets surgeries, the fact is we just don' t hear about them all the time.
Do we need a back up QB that is semi competent, hell yes, but they will be drafted mid to late rounds, put in a position to succeed and then traded for higher capital than they were drafted and so forth until, either Tua succumbs to a serious injury, retires or someone better comes along.

Look every college player has injuries and surgeries that we never here about. The fact is Tua is a head liner, a legitimate starting QB and had surgeries, not say they weren't big deals, but so what. Once a player hits the NFL anything can happen. Rumor is there is better conditioning, better strength training, better nutrition better everything in the NFL. Maybe just maybe Tua gets that Superman Cape now that he is in the NFL program. It is just that every player gets hurt, some worse than others, every player gets surgeries, the fact is we just don' t hear about them all the time.
Do we need a back up QB that is semi competent, hell yes, but they will be drafted mid to late rounds, put in a position to succeed and then traded for higher capital than they were drafted and so forth until, either Tua succumbs to a serious injury, retires or someone better comes along.
Just my opinion, but TT's backup will be a vet

I’ll watch the 10 games with hopefully a playoff game. And worry about backup QB’s next year.

Am I over simplify the question.
Yes, backup QB is important regardless. Next question.

Last edited:
_IF_ Fitzmagic leaves, the bigger issues will be finding Tua a good mentor. Look, nobody on the current Dolphins staff is a QB guru. We have no Andy Reid. While Tua's biggest strength is his decision making ... he's still a very young QB, and having a veteran mentor helps him learn the intricacies of the position at the NFL level. Nothing else can accelerate his progression more. Looking at who Coach Flo has been able to attract ... it does not look promising for finding a QB guru among the coaching staff. We've already sunk to retreads like pulling the former poor Dolphins coach Chan Gailey out of retirement and giving him the OC title on a team whose coach is the defacto DC (for a defense that still sucks). We're not going to get a mentor among the coaching staff.

Plus, most players listen far more and far more often to other players than they do their coaches. It's kinda like the whole influence thing from high school ... parents have one role and are listened to with one point of view, but peers who you view higher on your own pecking order are viewed with even more reverence. The player just gives more credence to the opinions of a veteran, and is always interested in learning from them.

Fitzmagic is one of the most knowledgeable veterans out there, so it will be a big loss if he moves on or doesn't settle in as a backup/mentor role. _IF_ that happens, we need to find our next Don Strock mentor for our young prodigy. Yes, injuries are always a risk in the NFL, and with Tua even moreso. But I would want to select a backup QB more for his ability to mentor than even his playing production. There's almost no way we find a backup QB who out-performs Fitzmagic, and IMHO, that shouldn't even be our primary concern.

Ultimately we want Tua to progress as far and as fast as possible while remaining healthy and confident. Let's hope Fitzmagic realizes that at his age, that's the only real roles he is going to be offered .... and no better place to do it than right here in Miami where he has proven to be a good QB and has the respect of everyone in the locker room and among the staff.

If I had my way, Fitz would be our QB coach right now and Rosen our backup. But Flores wouldn't listen to me and hung up...

I say we don't have enough data to discuss it.

First we need to find out if Tua is starter/franchise material. We also need to know something about his durability, or at least his ability to avoid stupid plays that lead to getting hurt.

Depending on all that we either need to draft another QB in the first round, look for an older backup QB, or draft a developmental type QB.

I'm hoping Tua looks like the real deal and plays smart to avoid contact. Assuming that I'd look to draft someone around the third round with upside, like Kyle Trask.

IMHO the smart thing to do is draft QB's with upside in the 2-4th round, keep them for three years as a backup, and then trade them for a higher draft pick. Seems to work for the Pats. Eagles too IIRC.

It's not an injury? Call McCaffrey and tell him.....
Oh, I didn't know we were pretending that high ankle sprains were the same thing as standard ankle sprains.

Well if we're living in that universe then you're 100% right! Good call.

Back
Top Bottom