How long can Miami keep this team core together?

minus

Perennial All-Pro
Hammered
Joined
Mar 2, 2002
Messages
4,510
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Location
Miami
The phins have to win it all in the next two seasons...Salary cap comes into play some time or another and you just can't keep together for so long...I really don't know too much about the cap but looking ahead in two years most of our core players will be reaching 30+ age...There is urgency by the Management to win it all in next two years....I just hope salary cap issues don't affect this team down the road...
 

breckenridge55

K-STATE PHIN
Joined
Mar 7, 2002
Messages
1,125
Reaction score
0
Age
32
Location
Weston, FL
I agree with you. We do need to win soon. The only thing that might keep most of this team together for a few more seasons is the fact we have good character. I am sure JT and Zach would be willing to take paycuts if we couldn't keep this core together. also remember, if we lose one of our two corners, we have Fletcher to replace them which I think was our initial plan when we drafted him. I don't know Ricky's contract status but I do know if we still want Fiedler we have him for another 5 years. So luckily, I think our most important players will stay for a little while. But we better win soon, or there will be a major overhaul, like the Ravens.
 
Joined
Apr 24, 2002
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Can't keep trading away high draft choices because the draft is where you replenish your talent. Hopefully They pull Ricky Williams if he gets close to 1500 yard mark( Going to need that number 1 pick next year) One thing Jimmy Johnson was great at, was managing a draft. He was a master of trading down and acquiring more picks. More Picks = more chances of finding players. Everyone going to hit on some draft choices and blow some picks but when you have more chances, the probability goes up for sucess. The next couple of drafts will determine if a rebuilding job is in ordere or if the beat will go on and can still be consider contenders.
 

baccarat

Adam the Quarterback
Joined
Jan 20, 2002
Messages
3,534
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by breckenridge55
I agree with you. We do need to win soon. The only thing that might keep most of this team together for a few more seasons is the fact we have good character. I am sure JT and Zach would be willing to take paycuts if we couldn't keep this core together. also remember, if we lose one of our two corners, we have Fletcher to replace them which I think was our initial plan when we drafted him. I don't know Ricky's contract status but I do know if we still want Fiedler we have him for another 5 years. So luckily, I think our most important players will stay for a little while. But we better win soon, or there will be a major overhaul, like the Ravens.
No way Fiedler will be here for the next 5 years. Two years into his contract, he'll be making a s*** load of money. Unless we bring in an overrated and overpaid QB who wants to retire, we will not be in a situation as bad as the Ravens'.
 
J

jd13

we are in a good cap situation...we have all our key guys locked up except ricky and chambers, who will get big bonuses and low base salaries for the first few years of the contract...down the road we will have to cut some guys but most of them will restructure...we were about $16 million over the cap before free agency began and the only key guy to get cut was tim bowens,who later resigned...i think most of them would rather say in miami...
 

minus

Perennial All-Pro
Hammered
Joined
Mar 2, 2002
Messages
4,510
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Location
Miami
Originally posted by booyeah_


No way Fiedler will be here for the next 5 years. Two years into his contract, he'll be making a s*** load of money. Unless we bring in an overrated and overpaid QB who wants to retire, we will not be in a situation as bad as the Ravens'.
Basicly this is the way I see Fiedler situation.We are trying all out to win in the next two years.After two year he will ask to restructure or be cut..The phins will start out from scratch with a young QB at the Helm.If we win superbowl with Fiedler at the helm will make it a harder desicion on the dolphins...
 

Dajesus

Starter
Joined
Dec 12, 2001
Messages
4,542
Reaction score
739
Age
42
Location
Albany, NY
The biggest concern is the two DTs. Bowens and DG have back loaded contracts, and both of them have serious injury concerns. There is a really good chance that neither of them will be on our roster in 2 years. They would count about 12 mill against our cap if cut. These 2 could force a rebuilding period by them selves.
 

Muck

Now completely imaginary
Hammered
Joined
Feb 3, 2002
Messages
30,528
Reaction score
7
Location
Elsewhere
What are Bowens' serious injury concerns?? He's missed two games in 8 years (might have missed a third in the playoff game vs Denver).
 

VanDolPhan

Starter
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
Messages
7,199
Reaction score
0
Age
43
Location
Hamilton, Ontario
Originally posted by Dajesus
The biggest concern is the two DTs. Bowens and DG have back loaded contracts, and both of them have serious injury concerns. There is a really good chance that neither of them will be on our roster in 2 years. They would count about 12 mill against our cap if cut. These 2 could force a rebuilding period by them selves.
I thought that Bowens new contract he got this offseason was pretty decent and easily manageable.

I don't think we are really as bad off as everyone is screaming about. Make a few key cuts and we are not too bad, but if Chambers continues to develop we will lose someone to cover the cost of his salary.

Right now I figure Gardener is gone within 2 years. Zach's base salary this year is 3.95 million and 4.7 million next year. So when he gets a new contract his cap # will actually be reduced since base salaries are usually low in the first couple years of a contract. Fielder will not be with us after the next 2 years just because of the contract.....not because of his play. I see us drafting a QB next year in either the 1st or 2nd round due to how deep the draft should be with QB's and then spend a year developing them. Rodgers will either be replaced in FA or through the draft by 2004.

Those moves there should knock some serious dough off the top even if Chambers explodes and earns almost Gardener type #'s it won't hurt the first couple of years due to the low base salaries in the first couple years.

Then it comes down to the big risk. Sam Madison. This guy has huge base salaries starting this year at 4.3 million and it raises to 7.4 million by the end of his contract. His restructuring is going to be touchy I believe.

I believe Surtain is the one guy we want to keep that we end up losing if the "Bowens stunt" doesn't work. Starting next year his base salaries are in the 5-6 million range and his contract ends in 2005. So restructuring won't help there. He would have to be cut and have a wish to return here at a more manageable #. So this is where Fletchers worth comes into play. If he plays solidly in the 3rd corner roll the phins must step to the plate and extend his contract to take over for Surtain when it comes.

Lot of work and we will see just how well Spielman truly handles the books on this one. However if this all gets done even with Ricky and Chambers new contracts we would be in the clear till at least 2006.
 

Dajesus

Starter
Joined
Dec 12, 2001
Messages
4,542
Reaction score
739
Age
42
Location
Albany, NY
Originally posted by Muck
What are Bowens' serious injury concerns?? He's missed two games in 8 years (might have missed a third in the playoff game vs Denver).
He has chronic back problems that hinder his playing time and ability. He just signed a 3 year 15 mill deal, so that is a lot of money to pay a guy that can only handle about 50% of the defensive plays.
 

EddieIrvine13

Active Roster
Joined
Mar 8, 2002
Messages
595
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Location
Chicago
Don't worry about Bowens... he is not injury prone as stated earlier. The new contract he signed was a great deal and because of that, I picture him living out his contract but possibly taking pay cuts.
Earlier this summer, I broke down the salary cap situation for the next 5 years. We are in good shape. After this season, we only will have a few minor players' contracts expiring. We should have no problem resigning them. Maybe even get an extension on Zach's contract. But we have our core players locked up for a while. BUt we need some young talent... get good players out of the draft. But I think our vets will be willing to take pay cuts and others will sign for less so I think we will be in good shape.
 

VanDolPhan

Starter
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
Messages
7,199
Reaction score
0
Age
43
Location
Hamilton, Ontario
Originally posted by Dajesus


He has chronic back problems that hinder his playing time and ability. He just signed a 3 year 15 mill deal, so that is a lot of money to pay a guy that can only handle about 50% of the defensive plays.
Incorrect. He signed a FIVE year 15 million contract with a 3 million signing bonus. A very manageable contract.

"Dolphins | Bowens Cut, Then Agrees to New Deal - from KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
February 28, 2002 16:06:52 PT ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Miami Dolphins released DT Tim Bowens Thursday afternoon and then agreed to terms on a new deal with him just two hours later. Bowens will sign a five-year, $15.15 million deal on Friday, which includes a $3 million signing bonus. He'll have base salaries of $650,000 (2002) and $850,000 (2003). The team must then pay him a $1.8 million option at the end of the 2003 season and the base salaries for the final years are: $2.25 million (2004), $3.1 million (2005) and $3.5 million (2006)."
 
Top Bottom