How many Defensive Ends does 1 team need? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How many Defensive Ends does 1 team need?

PROUDMONKEY

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Guess im initially dissapointed in our second selection,

We have Jason Taylor
We have picked up Holliday and Carter in free Agency
we draft Roth, now Sban has brought in his 3rd Defensive End?
Are we moving to a new 11-0 defensive scheme where we play only 11 DEs?
I guess I wanted to see a WR and a QB to go along with our RB today.
I didnt realize DE was such a need for us now.

Someone please explain

If we can dump Taylor NEXT offseason and free up a ton of more cap space and add 2 or 3 good players, then isn't this Roth pick worth it IF Roth turns out to be the real deal?

Think long-term. 2005 Miami isn't winning anything. Big picture. Year or two down the road!

Saban is looking for people to fit his Defense. Much like Vrable (spell) and the "tweener" type players.

Roth is a good enough player to be at Lb

Roth can likely play outside LB. I don't recall players with his aggressive nature being drafted by Wanny. I actually find his selection re-freshing. He is the kind of player Pittsburgh or Buffalo would select.

Lee2000

He's a Nick Saban guy. Nick has been in love with him since the senior bowl, openly said so. He should have gone first round, we got a great player. Nick Saban so far has been sticking to his board, thankfully, and I like both picks. We have so many needs, but Coach Saban is drafting his players.

Groceries

You know i think of Parcells and think why would you go to the store and buy groceries that you already have at home???? I know he may be thinking long term but there isnt much time in the NFL to get good or great you can turn something around rather quickly. I would have much rather seen him pickup the best possible OL available. I think a team cant have enough HOGS on it. The only thing i can think of is that he must really have plans on shipping JT out after the season, which would pretty much suck for our 3-4 , 4-3, or 11-0 defense anyway!!!! I would like to think we have a shot at improving offensively next year. IF i have to sit by and watch the defense virtually shut down everything thrown at it and watch the offense struggle to even look inept again this year, I might just pull all of my F&*(&*) hair out of my head. :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

PROUDMONKEY said:
Guess im initially dissapointed in our second selection,

We have Jason Taylor
we draft Roth, now Sban has brought in his 3rd Defensive End?
Are we moving to a new 11-0 defensive scheme where we play only 11 DEs?
I guess I wanted to see a WR and a QB to go along with our RB today.
I didnt realize DE was such a need for us now.

Someone please explain

Holliday and Carter can both play DT. Are you even sure they were brought in to play DE?

Taylor, Bowens, Roth = DE/OLBs
Carter and Holliday = DE/DTs
I would not be surprized if we added another in the draft.

PROUDMONKEY said:

Saban is in this for the long haul. He wants to be our guy for ten to twenty years. Holliday and Carter will keep us competitive next year, but they're not part of our long-term strategy. Roth is a steal this late in the draft, and he may end up being one of our defensive anchors for the next ten years. I didn't expect him to pick Roth, but I'm excited about the decision.

Joe Flipper said:
bad pick i agree...........WASTE

Did the injuries that we had on last years D-line teach anyone here anything?

We got KILLED against the run last year...all year.

Why?

Because we had ZERO depth on the D-line. It is a position that Wanny let wither and die on the vine for far too long.

Personally, I'm looking forward to watching opposing offensive lines try to deal with the waves of FRESH defensive lineman they will seeing from us...especially in the 4th quarter in Miami's heat.

A bad pick? A waste?

Don't think so...it's called adding depth and YOUTH to a defense that is getting older.

CanadaPhinsFan said:
Holliday and Carter can both play DT. Are you even sure they were brought in to play DE?

Exactly, Carter especially is going to play inside a lot. So you have Holiday, Bowens, JT and Roth on the outside. That's not unreasonable especially if you flash the 3-4 a little, which fits Bowens JT and Roth. Some people always have to complain about something.

ummm the d-line is not that young.

carter and holliday are not gonna be around for 12 years.

they will see a lot of time at DT, we onle have one DE that is versitle enough to go OLB in a 3-4 (taylor) so we drafted a second.

its not that complicated, quit thinking you could build a better team than saban can.

It's cool to grab a 1st round caliber player at the 46th spot, but he better not replace JT because I just bought a $70 Taylor jersey.

How hard is it to understand these guys all play different roles?

Chester and Bowens are Nose Tackles, and their size and position demands that only one of them should really be on the field at the time at one point.

Carter and Holliday can play Undertackle, 4-3 end, or 3-4 DE.

Taylor, Bowens, and Roth can play 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB.

Back
Top Bottom